Windows pro or home?

Zeke_

Okay, so I have all of my PC parts picked out and I just need a windows key. However I don't know weather to go home or pro. I'm using this PC simply for steam and gaming and don't need very many special features. What are the advantages of both? Which one do I go for?

#BudgetMasterRace

CPU: Pentium G4560  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050 OC  RAM: 8GB DDR4 2400mhz  CASE: NZXT S340  POWER SUPPLY: EVGA 500B MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B250M-DS3H  STORAGE: 1tb Wd Blue 7200rpm hdd  MOUSE: Redragon M711 Cobra Chroma RGB 

KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe  MICROPHONE: Blue Snowball  DISPLAY: Dell S2440L 1080p 60hz  HEADPHONES: Audio Technica ATH-M30X's

i like Pro because i can edit the Group Policy for windows update and stop it from automatically downloading upgrades (ex. anniversary update when it was an issue)

Photography / Finance / Gaming

Go for the Home edition. I don't see any real reason to spend twice the money for a couple fairly unnecessary features. The only real difference is that Pro comes with some business stuff, encrypting, vm, and other stuff oriented to businesses. Good luck with the build!

3 minutes ago, Zeke_ said:

Okay, so I have all of my PC parts picked out and I just need a windows key. However I don't know weather to go home or pro. I'm using this PC simply for steam and gaming and don't need very many special features. What are the advantages of both? Which one do I go for?

You can just download windows 10 from microsoft and install it without a key, you just can't use the personalization options

Otherwise Pro gives you slightly more control over the forced updates, but I believe you still have to deal with the forced updates, I'd also avoid grey market keys

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

@OllieWille Thanks for the help!

#BudgetMasterRace

CPU: Pentium G4560  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050 OC  RAM: 8GB DDR4 2400mhz  CASE: NZXT S340  POWER SUPPLY: EVGA 500B MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B250M-DS3H  STORAGE: 1tb Wd Blue 7200rpm hdd  MOUSE: Redragon M711 Cobra Chroma RGB 

KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe  MICROPHONE: Blue Snowball  DISPLAY: Dell S2440L 1080p 60hz  HEADPHONES: Audio Technica ATH-M30X's

6 minutes ago, mok said:

i like Pro because i can edit the Group Policy for windows update and stop it from automatically downloading upgrades (ex. anniversary update when it was an issue)

You can do it on Home now. That's whagt I did

@Streetguru Wait so do I still get everything else? Like windows defender and smart screen filter? Can I still do everything else I could normally do?

#BudgetMasterRace

4 minutes ago, Zeke_ said:

@Streetguru Wait so do I still get everything else? Like windows defender and smart screen filter? Can I still do everything else I could normally do?

Don't really need any of that stuff man

Personally I don't see the point in paying microsoft $100+ to spy on me and give me less control over my OS than I had in windows 7 which I still use

http://www.howtogeek.com/244678/you-dont-need-a-product-key-to-install-and-use-windows-10/

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

5 minutes ago, Zeke_ said:

Windows 10 is completely functional without a windows key, you get a watermark in the bottom right, basically trying to annoy you into buying a key but it's not a real issue, also some personalization stuff is kinda disabled, but you can do pretty much everything you normally can with little workarounds

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

i should have also mentioned that i like Pro because....i got it for free copy from my college

if youre a student at a college or uni im fairly confident you should have access to some free Microsoft software

Photography / Finance / Gaming

Pro lets you have more control of the OS compare to Home and gives you other functions such as hyper V, domain connection, group poliy, security policy and other stuffs. It also support dual processor where home can only work on single processors.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On 31/01/2017 at 5:21 PM, Zeke_ said:

You can pick up a windows 10 pro key from kinguin for about $20, Paul's hardware did a video about it