How awful is my monitor. will I notice a difference if I buy a new one?

AmyThePersonThing

I have a Samsung Syncmaster S23A560H plus and I can't find any info about it on the internet!

I'm not sure how good it is. I was going to upgrade to a new monitor, but my budget only allows a 60hz(maybe 144hz) 1080p monitor which is exactly the same as the one I have now, But I was hoping for it to have better colors and stuff, My monitor looks really pixelated which is weird, because even lower dpi monitors look better than my 1080p monitor! but anyway. how good is my monitor? will I notice a difference if I pay 400-500$ for a new monitor? I found a few 4k 60hz monitors for the price but The reviews were awful (asus). I was also thinking of buying a QHD monitor!

my monitor looks black and white compared to my s7 edge but I found out my s7 edge display is very exaggerated... So I was wondering if my current display (which I call crappy) may actually be the more accurate one?

Never heard of this Monitor.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

4 minutes ago, Praesi said:

Neither have I :D

I bought it as a kid (teen) it's around like 5-6 years old atleast but I assume it's more

I looked it up and this was the first thing in english that came up xD

5 minutes ago, Praesi said:

Oh dear this is embarrassing, I found out my basic mode is actually what accurate is supposed to be...... it looked dead, but still, I compared it to my monitor and it looked much much closer, yet my monitor looked trash, so conclusion: whatever this stupid monitor is it's awful and it's definitely worth buying a new monitor if the colors are close my s7 edge in basic mode! I'll try to afford QHD because 1080p just looks terrible to me, let alone buying a 27-8inch and 1080p instead of 24inch at 1080p :\

I don't think I'm buying 144hz btw, I don't think I'll continue my gaming :(

1 minute ago, n00bmlg said:

It sounds alright, 1080p is still the standard

resolution isn't everything, the black bar between pixels is important too. and color accuracy (mine can barely shift between colors compred too s7 edge, for example I have a drawing with a slightly visible skeleton on the back, the skeleton is barely visible on my monitor and easily visible on my phone)

There's barely any benefit to buying a new 60hz 1080p monitor, when those are the specs that you already have.

For example: One of the larger benefits would be that a new monitor is more energy-efficient than your Samsung SyncMaster. I previously used a Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM, which uses 110 watts, and I recently bought an HP Omen 32, which uses 72 watts.

Here's what you will notice in buying a new monitor:

- increased hz

- increased resolution

- increased size

- improved panel-type (from a TN, to an IPS, or VA)

- lower response-time (only if it's significant)

If you want a better visual experience, I recommend looking at increasing hz and resolution first, and then size of the monitor.

An HP Omen 32 fits within your budget of 400-500$ (it was been on sale for $275, during October and December 2016, and has been on sale for ~$350 at other times, recently), and it offers these awesome specs:

- 32", 16:9 ratio

- 1440p

- 5ms response-time

- 75hz FreeSync (only ~63hz without frame-skipping, if using an Nvidia GPU)

- VA panel (better colours and viewing-angles than a TN panel)

I would make higher hz a priority, if you're wanting a more pleasurable gaming experience. The difference between 60hz and 75hz is massive, IMO, and makes games feel much more immersive and real - as well as improving player gaming performance, due to the added information that the extra visible FPS delivers to the player.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

15 minutes ago, frencmustache said:

Oh dear this is embarrassing, I found out my basic mode is actually what accurate is supposed to be...... it looked dead, but still, I compared it to my monitor and it looked much much closer, yet my monitor looked trash, so conclusion: whatever this stupid monitor is it's awful and it's definitely worth buying a new monitor if the colors are close my s7 edge in basic mode! I'll try to afford QHD because 1080p just looks terrible to me, let alone buying a 27-8inch and 1080p instead of 24inch at 1080p :\

I don't think I'm buying 144hz btw, I don't think I'll continue my gaming :(

27" should be 1440p. Dont buy 1080p higher than 24".

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

2 minutes ago, Praesi said:

27" should be 1440p. Dont buy 1080p higher than 24".

That is very subjective due to a plethora of reasons. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Also, if you're getting a monitor for gaming, then a 4K 60hz monitor would be a bad choice, IMO, because:

- 60hz is, IMO, awful to play with, regardless of the resolution, after you've tried 70+ higher hz

- you'd need a powerful GPU to play games at 4K, and playing them at a lower, non-native resolution could make them appear blurry. And if you have money to buy a GPU for 4K gaming, then you can get more experience by putting that money towards a better 1440p monitor

- 4K from some owner comments I've read, is not a massive noticeable improvement over 1440p, whereas even just 70hz, over 60hz, is a massive experience improvement

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

1 minute ago, Delicieuxz said:

There's barely any benefit to buying a new 60hz 1080p monitor, when those are the specs that you already have.

For example: One of the larger benefits would be that a new monitor is more energy-efficient than your Samsung SyncMaster. I previously used a Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM, which uses 110 watts, and I recently bought an HP Omen 32, which uses 72 watts.

Here's what you will notice in buying a new monitor:

- increased hz

- increased resolution

- increased size

- improved panel-type (from a TN, to an IPS, or VA)

- lower response-time (only if it's significant)

If you want a better visual experience, I recommend looking at increasing hz and resolution first, and then size of the monitor.

An HP Omen 32 fits within your budget of 400-500$ (it was been on sale for $275, during October and December 2016, and has been on sale for ~$350 at other times, recently), and it offers these awesome specs:

- 32", 16:9 ratio

- 1440p

- 75hz FreeSync (only ~63hz without frame-skipping, if using an Nvidia GPU)

- VA panel (better colours and viewing-angles than a TN panel)

I would make higher hz a priority, if you're wanting a more pleasurable gaming experience. The difference between 60hz and 75hz is massive, IMO, and makes games feel much more immersive and real - as well as improving player gaming performance, due to the added information that the extra visible FPS.

I already overclocked mine to 75hz, and I do agree it's a massive difference, but my father can't even tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps. so be careful who you're saying that too :D (I took a blind test from myself, i was able to tell 70 fps from 75 and 60, but that wasn't very scientific!)

I was thinking of a better color accuracy(panel type)

and I'm not sure about bigger size, you see my glasses make everything look funny and curved! I put a 1080p tv at arm's length, it looked like a freaking crt! the middle was curved out and the sides looked funny, and without my glasses it looked blurry but flat! and no I can't fix my glasses, I've been to the doctor, all they could tell me is it isn't supposed to happen but gave me no solution :(

and I'm not sure if I'm gonna keep gaming, so much time consumed by programming and electronics and etc! and I doubt world of warcraft is gonna look different in 120hz, although I do play overwatch too!

what do you think of 

ASUS PB287Q? 

Prices are slightly funny in my country, and very oddly this monitor costs only like  30% more in my country while other monitors (1080p asus with g-sync I forgot the model) usually cost 80-90% more

2 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Also, if you're getting a monitor for gaming, then a 4K 60hz monitor would be a bad choice, IMO, because:

- 60hz is, IMO, awful to play with, regardless of the resolution, after you've tried 70+ higher hz

- you'd need a powerful GPU to play games at 4K, and playing them at a lower, non-native resolution could make them appear blurry. And if you have money to buy a GPU for 4K gaming, then you can get more experience by putting that money towards a better 1440p monitor

- 4K from some owner comments I've read, is not a massive noticeable improvement over 1440p, whereas even just 70hz, over 60hz, is a massive experience improvement

yeah I think 1440 is enough, 4k might be overkill, some have 5k or 8k xD plus all my brain cares about is "improvement" this way in another 10 years i can buy a 4k when it's cheap too (god knows by that time we might use alien stuff to telepathically project images in our brain with infinite resolution :P) and still feel good :c

https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-XL2730Z-Monitor-Resolution-FreeSync/dp/B00TUK9D9K

this sounds nice! it's 704$ in my country, I have an r7 250x at this moment, I was planning on either gtx 1060 or 1070. (1060 with min settings? 1060 should play overwatch comfortably even at max or almost max!)

I don't think I should spend that kind of money until I live alone, I mean I will use it for 12h a day for the next 10 years or so, but still.. I can't force my father. I can still wait 4 months, there's a huge chance I might have enough money by then (birthday, and entering collegiate means people will be excited :P) heck my father even promised me a 3d printer if I get accepted to  a good colleague but I doubt that! 

what do you think about that monitor?! buying anything in my country is very very tricky, mostly they'll be out of stock or something!

I'm using a 1080p TV. I'd much rather devote the resources to higher texture quality instead if higher FPS (I can't tell the difference) or higher resolution. 

My graphics card is the one shitty part of my system though. 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

3 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I'm using a 1080p TV. I'd much rather devote the resources to higher texture quality instead if higher FPS (I can't tell the difference) or higher resolution. 

My graphics card is the one shitty part of my system though. 

I have an 3570k /8gb 1600mhz/120gb of ssd (old one with bad writes)/a PSU i'm sure you have never heard of before, but it's pretty popular in my country and apparently they have good quality. I hope.....` but an r7 250x and an p8-b75-v which I'm planning on keeping, but the crappiness  of the motherboard worries me, specially considering my old psu Killed my hdd and my hd 7750 in just 2 days my pc occasionally freezes and restart button doesn't work, I have to hold power button for some time for it restart :\

their low tier PSU did this to my PC, I now upgraded to their gold 650w "overclocking series" psu, it even came in a fancy bag... because people carry their PSUs with them everywhere....

8 minutes ago, frencmustache said:

I have an 3570k /8gb 1600mhz/120gb of ssd (old one with bad writes)/a PSU i'm sure you have never heard of before, but it's pretty popular in my country and apparently they have good quality. I hope.....` but an r7 250x and an p8-b75-v which I'm planning on keeping, but the crappiness  of the motherboard worries me, specially considering my old psu Killed my hdd and my hd 7750 in just 2 days my pc occasionally freezes and restart button doesn't work, I have to hold power button for some time for it restart :\

their low tier PSU did this to my PC, I now upgraded to their gold 650w "overclocking series" psu, it even came in a fancy bag... because people carry their PSUs with them everywhere....

Your motherboard is fine, and so is your CPU/RAM.  The GPU, not so much.  If anything is bottlenecking your system, it's that.  I'd be surprised if you can get anything over 60fps on a modern game with that.

I'd say keep the current monitor and upgrade to a modern GPU.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

Your motherboard is fine, and so is your CPU/RAM.  The GPU, not so much.  If anything is bottlenecking your system, it's that.  I'd be surprised if you can get anything over 60fps on a modern game with that.

I'd say keep the current monitor and upgrade to a modern GPU.

But... but... I hate my monitor... seriously you haven't seen it.... the colors are pure garbage! I mean compared to my phone it looks black and white... I feel sad that my screenshots of world of Warcraft look so freaking stunning on my phone but look trash on my monitor :\ atleast I would get a 1080p 24" inch monitor with better colors and use this as a vertical monitor! (because that's extremely helpful and important! it doesn't have any sort of mount or anything but i can always diy! or sell it and buy a cheap 20" monitor that supports vertical mounting!)

and yeah... I'm aware of that :( I have to play overwatch at minimum and 75% render scale! even sometimes I get input lag with it :\ (yes no v-sync). but classes other than widowmaker (which I try to play her most of the time unless the team needs another hero or when it simply isn't working) don't need smooth 75fps all the time so I switch back to 100% render scale and play in 60fps (which with widowmaker is like 30fps.... I'm very sensitive to lag with her.... no idea why)

Okay, I'm just saying the only part of your build that you need to upgrade is your GPU. 

The quality of your motherboard model is fine. If you're having trouble with it, see if it's still covered by warranty. 

3 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Okay, I'm just saying the only part of your build that you need to upgrade is your GPU. 

The quality of your motherboard model is fine. If you're having trouble with it, see if it's still covered by warranty. 

Thanks ^_^

I know I was just joking :P

But I'm planning both on the same time, because There's no way on earth I can even connect that monitor to my GPU :D (I know I technically can but it's just stupid...). maybe a new GPU first if there's any order, because I would die from heart attack waiting for the GPU to arrive!