NEED HELP! I need to get a another copy of windows xp.

FritosRawesome

Hello. I found myself an old PC previously used in a hospital. The computer works fine but this specific version of this operating system(windows xp) is wacky AF. I want to fix this problem by either getting a new windows xp key/install or any other operating system for cheap/free. It'd be nice to be able to use the computer and browse the web. I have NO IDEA where to get a new operating system for cheap/free though. If you can point me in the right direction or help me directly that'd be great. I've tried looking up the computer online for more information on it but information for it is scarce.  

2 hours ago, FritosRawesome said:

Hello. I found myself an old PC previously used in a hospital. The computer works fine but this specific version of this operating system(windows xp) is wacky AF. I want to fix this problem by either getting a new windows xp key/install or any other operating system for cheap/free. It'd be nice to be able to use the computer and browse the web. I have NO IDEA where to get a new operating system for cheap/free though. If you can point me in the right direction or help me directly that'd be great. I've tried looking up the computer online for more information on it but information for it is scarce.  

I helped someone else with this issue, I can send you a SP2 ISO for XP through Google Drive. PM me your email if you're down with it.

EDIT: Or do you need the key and not the install?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Is it XP Embedded or something?

Could slap Ubuntu on it (as much as I'm not a fan of Linux, its legitimately free)

Yes, it is embedded. What does that mean though?

3 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I helped someone else with this issue, I can send you a SP2 ISO for XP through Google Drive. PM me your email if you're down with it.

May I ask, Where did you get it from?

May I ask, Where did you get it from?

A disk I had laying around, I made it into an ISO with some software then uploaded it because someone else needed it.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

A disk I had laying around, I made it into an ISO with some software then uploaded it because someone else needed it.

I think I'll use this OS, Ubuntu. Do you think this is a fine solution or do you recommend me taking your offer?

I think I'll use this OS, Ubuntu. Do you think this is a fine solution or do you recommend me taking your offer?

I would use XP over any version of Linux, any day. I would do XP if you have a key or a way of getting one for about a dollar.

EDIT: What about SteamOS?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

5 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Its a cut down version of XP to have less overhead. It essentially has all the fluff taken out of it because it wouldn't even be used. 

Thank you. You were very helpful.

3 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I would use XP over any version of Linux, any day. I would do XP if you have a key or a way of getting one for about a dollar.

Apparently, my PC specs for SteamOS are vastly unqualified to be compatible. I think Ubuntu is going to fit my need for a short while. If not I'll come back to the site for help.

11 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

OP wants to browse the web. I do not recommend using XP in 2016 to browse the web. Recommending XP over Linux might end up in the experiences with non-techies thread. I know I have to restrain myself from doing it.

6 minutes ago, FritosRawesome said:

Apparently, my PC specs for SteamOS are vastly unqualified to be compatible. I think Ubuntu is going to fit my need for a short while. If not I'll come back to the site for help.

medical computers get used until they die. I wouldnt be surprised if the hard drive was intermittent in operation and fails during installation. You might find a WinXP era PC isn't good enough for Ubuntu; I would use either a puppy linux live cd, the DoD LPS live cd, or a net install of debian and select one of the lighter desktops during installation

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

9 hours ago, FritosRawesome said:

Ubuntu is good. But if its older machine and you don't need anything special, Mint or ElementaryOS (both variations of Ubuntu) might be better.

9 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I would use Linux over XP any day. Speed is about the same and Linux is updated wekkly/monthly, XP no more. Plus Ubuntu or its variations are easy to learn even for less-into-PCs. I taught my mom to digitize C-casette with Ubuntu and Audacity (on PC which had XP previously).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I would use Linux over XP any day. Speed is about the same and Linux is updated wekkly/monthly, XP no more. Plus Ubuntu or its variations are easy to learn even for less-into-PCs. I taught my mom to digitize C-casette with Ubuntu and Audacity (on PC which had XP previously).

I guess the reason I would use XP over Linux is because I don't really know how to use Linux :S 

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

11 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I guess the reason I would use XP over Linux is because I don't really know how to use Linux :S 

Depending on machines specs, Win7 starter might be valid option. Or Win10 with Bing! (the one compute sticks and other light machines use). Idk if you can install ChromeOS. Though both ChromeOS and SteamOS are Linux in core.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv