Stable memory when in slots A1 and A2, but completely unstable in slots B1 and B2

Hey everyone,

My trusty z77 mobo failed on me, so I stopped by my local microcenter yesterday to pick up a new cpu, mobo, and ram. I purchased an i5 6600k, Asus Z170AR, and 2x 8GB sticks of corsair vengeance lpx. (model CMK16GX4M2B3000C15)

The optimal memory configuration for the Z170AR is in slots A2 and B2, but if I put any of the ram in either slots B1 or B2, the system gives constand BSODs when I put it under load. It seems to be memory permission errors. The memory works with XMP just fine, and is totally stable in dimms A1 and A2.

It has been a while since I have worked with consumer gear. Am I missing something?

My native language is C++

Just now, Gonio said:

Most likely it has to do with the dual channel support.

What do you mean?

RAM has channel support where in the case of dual channel 2 slots work together for better bandwith. So not entirly sure how it is selected but mobo's do have prefferences of what slot they use over other combinations. Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

Just now, Gonio said:

RAM has channel support where in the case of dual channel 2 slots work together for better bandwith. So not entirly sure how it is selected but mobo's do have prefferences of what slot they use over other combinations. Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

10 minutes ago, tt2468 said:

The optimal memory configuration for the Z170AR is in slots A2 and B2, but if I put any of the ram in either slots B1 or B2, the system gives constand BSODs when I put it under load. It seems to be memory permission errors.