Reusing an old case

MrlUnleashed

I have this one pretty old case, I believe it's from 2004 or earlier. It has some random name and I could not find any case info and only source of informations are the components inside ( mounting and other ). So I'm thinking of making a modded case from it and I have a few concerns about it. I did a reserach on the old mobo that was in and it's a microATX, so first, were there any changes in motherboard sizes or mounting points ever since and could a newer motherboard be mounted without any problem? Second, the mounting holes for the motherboard are just pop outs on the metal sheet that is held by the back side of the case. Is there any danger from shorting anything because of those mounting points or any other malfunction? I would maybe put a bit of isolation tape on it so that mobo doesn't touch it directly. Sorry for the long post and if it seems more of a modding discussion but I need help about the mobo or possibly GPU compatibility with this old case.

By "pop outs" do you mean something like this;

CIMG1971.jpg

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

2 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

By "pop outs" do you mean something like this;

CIMG1971.jpg

Yes and then that plate is held by the back side which is i think the same material

2 minutes ago, MrlUnleashed said:

Yes and then that plate is held by the back side which is i think the same material

OK, those are fine and won't cause any problems but it's ok for you to put some tape if you're afraid of any problems.

If the case is micro-ATX then you won't be able to fit anything else than micro-ATX or mini-ITX. And the mounting holes should be exactly the same, you shouldn't have any problems mounting a current generation motherboard on it!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Those pop-outs or bumps are screw mounts for the mainboard.  If your plate doesn't have, or has limited holes for standoffs, those pop-outs are what you mount the board to.  If you have a bump where there is not a screw hole for the mainboard, you can lay vinyl or electrical tape, etc. to cover it and prevent an electrical short.  However, I'd verify board compatibility.  Do you have pictures of the actual back plate?

4 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

OK, those are fine and won't cause any problems but it's ok for you to put some tape if you're afraid of any problems.

If the case is micro-ATX then you won't be able to fit anything else than micro-ATX or mini-ITX. And the mounting holes should be exactly the same, you shouldn't have any problems mounting a current generation motherboard on it!

Tape it is! :D  tnx for the help

8 minutes ago, Doramius said:

Those pop-outs or bumps are screw mounts for the mainboard.  If your plate doesn't have, or has limited holes for standoffs, those pop-outs are what you mount the board to.  If you have a bump where there is not a screw hole for the mainboard, you can lay vinyl or electrical tape, etc. to cover it and prevent an electrical short.  However, I'd verify board compatibility.  Do you have pictures of the actual back plate?

20170130_192250.jpg

Also here is the PSU mounting if you could tell me if its good with newer ones aswell.

20170130_192131.jpg

PSU mount looks standard.  That looks like a micro-ATX case.  I think you're golden and if you have another micro-ATX board, the holes should line up.  May not even need the vinyl tape.

4 minutes ago, Doramius said:

PSU mount looks standard.  That looks like a micro-ATX case.  I think you're golden and if you have another micro-ATX board, the holes should line up.  May not even need the vinyl tape.

Great, thank you