Wait a minute Windows, where are those apps coming from?

ChuckMaurice
Go to solution Solved by twoSalty,

this i found helpful.

(I'll try to make this as funny as it got me angry to avoid throwing a brick at my desktop)

"Really, Microsoft? I paid 100$ or more for a W8 Pro version, I upgraded it to Windows 10 after you constantly telling me please, I even let you get some obscur telemetry I can't disable, and now I reinstall Windows and I have "ads" in the start menu I have to remove one by one?

(that's the standard part)

And now after a few reboots, some DUMB GAMES INSTALLED THEMSELVES after I cleaned up the start menu? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Would a 6 year old who wants to play Candy Crush have a 1200$ gaming rig for it?

Get your shit together Microsoft. Get money elsewhere. Isn't paying your stupid, mandatory OS enough?"

Well you get the idea: W10 updated somehow after a fresh install and added games to my start menu. How do I prevent that from happening?

Also if you have some other useful post-install tips I'm taking ;)

[Insert smart comment here]

god... i remember watching a video a while back how to do it... i forgot how to do it... lemmie go find the video...

linus sex tips

That is a VERY sharp color which makes the post unreadable and bothers what I believe most people on the forum. Do not take this as an insult, just a constructive critic.

Cheers!

4 minutes ago, LuciferTechWizz said:

That is a VERY sharp color which makes the post unreadable and bothers what I believe most people on the forum. Do not take this as an insult, just a constructive critic.

Cheers!

Yes sorry, I use the dark mode and I didn't checked (text is white in dark mode so I took the closest colored color, I'm a idiot :S )

Changed it

I actually have the same problem with the blue color which is almost unreadable, but as many people use the light theme (and blue is not widely used) I just select the text to read it.

this i found helpful.

Main PC
CPU: i3-4160. RAM: 2x4GB Kingston ValueRam. GPU: Asus GTX750Ti OC 2GB (Palit StormOC 750Ti Bios). CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X.
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3. Storage: 1x Samsung 840 Evo. RAID 0: WD Scorpio Blue 500GB, WD Caviar Blue 500GB. PSU: Corsair CX500M.
Network: some TP-Link card that doesnt support 5.0Ghz. Case: Casecom Neptune CP-626 (the cooler doesnt fit so the side panel stays off).
Mouse: Logitech G430. Headphones: Sennheiser RS195. Keyboard: Lenovo KU0225. OS: Windows 10 Pro

stuff that isnt my main pc
Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E531 - Ubuntu 17.04 (Gnome Desktop)
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B - Not in Use
Raspberry Pi 3 - RetroPie

Phones/Tablets
Samsung Galaxy S3 - Lineage 14.1 (Android 7.1.1)
HTC One M7 - Dead Charging Port - Lineage 14.1 (Android 7.1.1)
HTC One M8 - Dead Sim Port -  Lineage 15 (Android 8.0.0)
Telstra 4GX Plus (ZTE Blade A462) - Android M Stock
iPhone 4S - Dead Battery Sensor (Stuck on too hot warning) - Latest iOS 9
iPhone 5 - MAIN PHONE - iOS 10.3.3

Consoles
Xbox One
Xbox 360 S
PlayStation 2 Fat

Headset: Plantronics RIG400HX 

10 minutes ago, jldjul said:

(I'll try to make this as funny as it got me angry to avoid throwing a brick at my desktop)

Really, Microsoft? I paid 100$ or more for a W8 Pro version, I upgraded it to Windows 10 after you constantly telling me please, I even let you get some obscur telemetry I can't disable, and now I reinstall Windows and I have "ads" in the start menu I have to remove one by one?

(that's the standard part)

And now after a few reboots, some DUMB GAMES INSTALLED THEMSELVES after I cleaned up the start menu? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Would a 6 year old who wants to play Candy Crush have a 1200$ gaming rig for it?

Get your shit together Microsoft. Get money elsewhere. Isn't paying your stupid, mandatory OS enough?

Well you get the idea: W10 updated somehow after a fresh install and added games to my start menu. How do I prevent that from happening?

Also if you have some other useful post-install tips I'm taking ;)

Correct. Microsoft is trying to get developers to push new apps to their Store, with a wishful thinking of getting UWP (Universal Apps) made games and apps, as if they do, they automatically run on any Windows 10 devices: (Windows 10 on desktop's, laptop's, tablet's, convertibles, mobile (Windows 10 Mobile), XBox One, HoloLens, IoT, and possibly more in the future).

In order to do this, they need to show to developers that Microsoft offer options to get people to check out the Store, and get people to download apps and games. So you have 2 things:

1. Advertisement spots on the Start Menu (only select spots are there).
  2. Suggested app section on the Start Menu.

These added third party apps aren't actually installed, they are just pinned shortcuts to download them, unless you click on them, then they'll open, stream/download the content, and open. But regardless, the good thing about UWP is that the app is fully sandboxed. This means that when you remove them, they leave without a trace.

So just right-click on the ones you don't want, and pick uninstall (or unpin if you don't have the options as they are not installed to be uninstalled)

As for suggested app, you can disable that under the Settings panels (Start > Settings > Personalization > Start, and toggle off "Occasionally show suggestions on Start", and on your way form the Settings home page go to: System > Notifications, and toggle off "Get tips, tricks, and suggestions as you use Windows", to get less useless notifications if you are familiar with Windows already)

2 minutes ago, jldjul said:

Yes sorry, I use the dark mode and I didn't checked (text is white in dark mode so I took the closest colored color, I'm a idiot :S )

Changed it

please change the colour

Main PC
CPU: i3-4160. RAM: 2x4GB Kingston ValueRam. GPU: Asus GTX750Ti OC 2GB (Palit StormOC 750Ti Bios). CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X.
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3. Storage: 1x Samsung 840 Evo. RAID 0: WD Scorpio Blue 500GB, WD Caviar Blue 500GB. PSU: Corsair CX500M.
Network: some TP-Link card that doesnt support 5.0Ghz. Case: Casecom Neptune CP-626 (the cooler doesnt fit so the side panel stays off).
Mouse: Logitech G430. Headphones: Sennheiser RS195. Keyboard: Lenovo KU0225. OS: Windows 10 Pro

Phones/Tablets

Consoles
Xbox One
Xbox 360 S
PlayStation 2 Fat

1 minute ago, twoSalty said:

please change the colour

Dark grey is not good either?

1 minute ago, jldjul said:

Dark grey is not good either?

change it to white

Main PC

Phones/Tablets

Consoles
Xbox One
Xbox 360 S
PlayStation 2 Fat

change it to white

Wouldn't peope see the text in white? you mean automatic?

1 minute ago, jldjul said:

Wouldn't peope see the text in white? you mean automatic?

yep

Main PC

Phones/Tablets

Consoles
Xbox One
Xbox 360 S
PlayStation 2 Fat

Just now, twoSalty said:

yep

people with the black ltt theme on cant see dark grey text very well

Main PC

Phones/Tablets

Consoles
Xbox One
Xbox 360 S
PlayStation 2 Fat

people with the black ltt theme on cant see dark grey text very well

I was just trying to be creative with the colours (and I see dark grey nicely on Dark theme, but I have a calibrated screen). Sorry for that.

15 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

These added third party apps aren't actually installed, they are just pinned shortcuts to download them, unless you click on them, then they'll open, stream/download the content, and open. But regardless, the good thing about UWP is that the app is fully sandboxed. This means that when you remove them, they leave without a trace.

So just right-click on the ones you don't want, and pick uninstall (or unpin if you don't have the options as they are not installed to be uninstalled)

As for suggested app, you can disable that under the Settings panels (Start > Settings > Personalization > Start, and toggle off "Occasionally show suggestions on Start", and on your way form the Settings home page go to: System > Notifications, and toggle off "Get tips, tricks, and suggestions as you use Windows", to get less useless notifications if you are familiar with Windows already)

I already did the first change for suggested apps, but forgot the second one for tips and tricks, thanks.

As for sandboxes, they ain't great as I had to reinstall Windows because I couldn't fix a massive memory leak caused by one or more UWP app on Runtimebroker.exe

Spoiler

He really sums up my point of view after very helpful tech help. I didn't knew this channel, but he's pretty good.

2 hours ago, jldjul said:
  Hide contents

He really sums up my point of view after very helpful tech help. I didn't knew this channel, but he's pretty good.

Sadly, this guy provides a lot of false information. He is mostly desperate for viewership and clicks.

Basically, he had a job at Microsoft, as a Software Developer in Test, claimed he loved working there. He got layed off, because the position no longer exists. But he was offered other good positions within the company (like many of the layed off employee, like a role as an actual software developer role). He refused, and he goes all anti-MS on how the company ruined his life, and now he does these anti-MS videos.

Worst part, he claims that the OS is spying (which is a lie.. but hey! Gets clicks!), says how anti-spying he is.. but then he uses Chrome amongst all things, uses Android, uses Bing (yes).. so like what.. he hates spying, but doesn't mind it? Hypocrite.

Anyway, I used to watch him years before... he was good, until he started these theater crap, got the taste of high views, and desperate for more, instead of working hard like many YouTuber's, provide accurate information and educate properly people. I would avoid him and his advice.

there was this paul's hardware video how to do it... try looking around on his channel in one of the first 5 videos i think..

linus sex tips