Economical Cloud Server for small business

Hi everyone,

I'm exploring an economical cloud server situation for a client - a small business with up to 10 clients. 

He expressed concern with Amazon and Microsoft services and their fees. 

It's what convinced him that having his own dedicated server at the home office would be the best bet. However, I don't think he realizes that continued support for a dedicated server, such as managing Active Directory and the VPN he wants to implement, may require more money in the long run in terms of support. I could be his support, but again, that may not be ideal cost wise.

Does anyone suggest any good cloud products for this situation? It will be his 5 stationary office clients and 5 mobile clients (veterinary vans on the move with their own workstations). He needs to access about 5 pieces of software. CRM, proprietary vet software, Quickbooks, etc. 

Thanks for any input in advance. 

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

If its just a cloud based storage solution then a Synology NAS port forwarded with a Cloud application added can work wonders!  If it comes down to needing more power and needing to drive more then a Dell PowerEdge server could also work however I think the expense with that would skyrocket in comparison depending on what you get. (Dell R620, R720, Etc..)

"45 ACP because shooting twice is silly!"

23 minutes ago, Nikolithebear said:

If its just a cloud based storage solution then a Synology NAS port forwarded with a Cloud application added can work wonders!  If it comes down to needing more power and needing to drive more then a Dell PowerEdge server could also work however I think the expense with that would skyrocket in comparison depending on what you get. (Dell R620, R720, Etc..)

Well, I'm referring to an online cloud solution. All his software would be on the cloud through a service like Amazon or Microsoft, and each client would access that software through a web portal or whatnot. I'm trying to steer him away from having a dedicated server. I just want him to purchase server space on the cloud for his software. He says Amazon and Microsoft are too expensive, so I'm looking for cheaper competitors 

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

It might be cheaper to host the servers locally because most affordable clouds I know of aren't HIPAA compliant.

-KuJoe

You will need to look in to Desktop as a Service (DaaS) from cloud providers, however not all of them will 'support' third party software.  They may install it but its doubtful they will support any software not provided by them directly.

However DaaS should give you the ability to run your own software packages on it if the vendor is flexible with their offerings.  I know some in the UK that do this but I don't really know any in the US.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

10 hours ago, KuJoe said:

It might be cheaper to host the servers locally because most affordable clouds I know of aren't HIPAA compliant.

Yeah a dedicated server is what he prefers 

15 hours ago, KuJoe said:

Not an expert with HIPPA, but I doubt vets care about it...?

Anyway you are fine with azure, so i'd assume your AWS is also good: https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0ahUKEwiArIKH5ujRAhUHHJQKHeVzD2kQFggtMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdownload.microsoft.com%2Fdownload%2F8%2F4%2F8%2F8483b6a9-1865-4d17-b6f1-5b66d5c29b10%2Fwindows%20azure%20hipaa%20implementation%20guidance.pdf&usg=AFQjCNGj_DRHalHH6Icw3EPyRNOcMbNqHA&sig2=F0_0t9pCl2vuonXCZAFqdQ

Your not really going to find cheaper then AWS/Azure, for cloud. Explain to your client that the 99% uptime versus the 99.99% uptime from azure/aws basically covers the difference.

Next ask him to figure out if he wants redundant hosting locally, if he does the difference in needing 2x every second item of hardware will push him to cloud. if not the cost of a single hours downtime will likely push him to the cloud. Basically unless you are at the size that needs to onsite it functions, cloud based AaaS/IaaS/XaaS will win hands down.

In saying all this, CRM, proprietary vet software, Quickbooks, not a heavy load.

7 minutes ago, Blake said:

Not an expert with HIPPA, but I doubt vets care about it...?

Anyway you are fine with azure, so i'd assume your AWS is also good: https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0ahUKEwiArIKH5ujRAhUHHJQKHeVzD2kQFggtMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdownload.microsoft.com%2Fdownload%2F8%2F4%2F8%2F8483b6a9-1865-4d17-b6f1-5b66d5c29b10%2Fwindows%20azure%20hipaa%20implementation%20guidance.pdf&usg=AFQjCNGj_DRHalHH6Icw3EPyRNOcMbNqHA&sig2=F0_0t9pCl2vuonXCZAFqdQ

Your not really going to find cheaper then AWS/Azure, for cloud. Explain to your client that the 99% uptime versus the 99.99% uptime from azure/aws basically covers the difference.

Next ask him to figure out if he wants redundant hosting locally, if he does the difference in needing 2x every second item of hardware will push him to cloud. if not the cost of a single hours downtime will likely push him to the cloud. Basically unless you are at the size that needs to onsite it functions, cloud based AaaS/IaaS/XaaS will win hands down.

In saying all this, CRM, proprietary vet software, Quickbooks, not a heavy load.

In most states veterinary offices must be HIPAA compliant. Pets themselves are not covered under the same privacy laws but their medical records and the financial transactions of the owners are covered.

-KuJoe

4 hours ago, KuJoe said:

In most states veterinary offices must be HIPAA compliant. Pets themselves are not covered under the same privacy laws but their medical records and the financial transactions of the owners are covered.

TIL