LED Strip Lighting

Drake10114

Hello,

Was trying to price out the cost/best bang for my buck for LED strip lighting for the pc build that I'm doing. Doing it later on this year (summer), so if there is new tech/things coming out, please let me know.

Currently I've been eyeing up a 30cm kit from CableMod. I'm thinking of using magnetic for the attachment type (mainly due to being able to easily change locations of the lighting,etc.).

Question is: Does anyone have any good recommendations on LED lighting?

What length of lights would work w/ my chosen case (NZXT Phantom 530 Black?)

Approx. how much wattage do LED strips take (I got a more than adequate PSU for the whole system, just curious on this)

.Any Brands that you can recommend, other than Cablemod to look into?

Is it better to run 2 set of strips or a single continuous strip?

Not looking into making the PC light up my room like the sun, just enough to be pleasantly lit up.

Current System Specs:

CPU: Intel I5-7660K; CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212X; Thermal Paste: IC Diamond 7 Carat; Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon;

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8gb) DDR4 - 2400; SSD Storage: 1TB Samsung 850 EVO; Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm;

GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1070 8gb G1 Gaming; Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black; PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W 80+ Gold, OS: Windows 10 Home

18 minutes ago, Drake10114 said:

Hello,

Was trying to price out the cost/best bang for my buck for LED strip lighting for the pc build that I'm doing. Doing it later on this year (summer), so if there is new tech/things coming out, please let me know.

Currently I've been eyeing up a 30cm kit from CableMod. I'm thinking of using magnetic for the attachment type (mainly due to being able to easily change locations of the lighting,etc.).

Approx. how much wattage do LED strips take (I got a more than adequate PSU for the whole system, just curious on this)

Not looking into making the PC light up my room like the sun, just enough to be pleasantly lit up.

I  recently brought an NZXT hue+ for my S340 and it's been great, comes with 4 30cm RGB lighting strips which you can customise to any colour you want. it's around $60 which i think is quite reasonable as you can control the lights through software on your PC without needing a remote. https://www.amazon.com/NZXT-AC-HUEPS-M1-Hue-Advanced-Lighting/dp/B018YZ0H1O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485624864&sr=8-1&keywords=nzxt+hue

12 minutes ago, Squibbies18 said:

I  recently brought an NZXT hue+ for my S340 and it's been great, comes with 4 30cm RGB lighting strips which you can customise to any colour you want. it's around $60 which i think is quite reasonable as you can control the lights through software on your PC without needing a remote. https://www.amazon.com/NZXT-AC-HUEPS-M1-Hue-Advanced-Lighting/dp/B018YZ0H1O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485624864&sr=8-1&keywords=nzxt+hue

Ever used Cabelmods stuff? Idk if I can even get that kit in Canada

Current System Specs:

CPU: Intel I5-7660K; CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212X; Thermal Paste: IC Diamond 7 Carat; Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon;

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8gb) DDR4 - 2400; SSD Storage: 1TB Samsung 850 EVO; Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm;

GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1070 8gb G1 Gaming; Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black; PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W 80+ Gold, OS: Windows 10 Home

On 1/28/2017 at 11:18 AM, Drake10114 said:

Hello,

Hey @Drake10114 we have a wide variety of our product catalog available from NCIX, or Amazon if you prefer.
I'm including links for the searches of NCIX and Amazon, as well as direct from our global store to our vibrant LED solutions.
http://www.ncix.com/search/?qcatid=0&q=cablemod+widebeam+magnetic
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=cablemod+widebeam+magnetic
https://store.cablemod.com/products/?filter_product-category=led-strips&filter_series=magnetic

On 2/3/2017 at 11:00 AM, CableMod said:

Hey @Drake10114 we have a wide variety of our product catalog available from NCIX, or Amazon if you prefer.
I'm including links for the searches of NCIX and Amazon, as well as direct from our global store to our vibrant LED solutions.
http://www.ncix.com/search/?qcatid=0&q=cablemod+widebeam+magnetic
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=cablemod+widebeam+magnetic
https://store.cablemod.com/products/?filter_product-category=led-strips&filter_series=magnetic

Hey, so would a 30cm strip of LED's be enough to light up my case nicely?

Also, are your RGB's compatitable w/ MSI's Mystic Light controllers? I'm getting an MSI Board, and am wondering if I can sync the LED's and the Mobo's lights together.

Also what is the difference between the wide beam and the kit, or is it just 1 has included the software/hardware for the lighting? Would I need the kit if I'm planning on connecting it to the mobo (MSI Z270A Gaming Pro Carbon)

Thanks for the links, will look into them, probably will go with you guys, since I like the idea of Magnetic attachments, incase I want to move the lights/switch cases, etc.

Current System Specs:

2 hours ago, Drake10114 said:

Hey, so would a 30cm strip of LED's be enough to light up my case nicely?

Also, are your RGB's compatitable w/ MSI's Mystic Light controllers? I'm getting an MSI Board, and am wondering if I can sync the LED's and the Mobo's lights together.

Also what is the difference between the wide beam and the kit, or is it just 1 has included the software/hardware for the lighting? Would I need the kit if I'm planning on connecting it to the mobo (MSI Z270A Gaming Pro Carbon)

Thanks for the links, will look into them, probably will go with you guys, since I like the idea of Magnetic attachments, incase I want to move the lights/switch cases, etc.

Hey @Drake10114 I would probably go for a 60cm for the Phantom 530, maybe even a 60cm and a 30cm if you want even lighting.
Additionally, the included adapter for the ASUS Aura header is also going to work with your MSi header and the LED's will tie into the Mystic Lighting software the same as it would ASUS Aura.
Also, the differences between the strips and the kit is that the kit comes with the RF receiver and remote to control the LED's without the need for software as software isn't always the most reliable and can sometimes not properly function. The strips as a standalone are for people who want to add to their kit, or just purchase strips to tie into the ASUS, MSi, or Gigabyte/Aorus boards where the RGB headers are included.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. :)

46 minutes ago, CableMod said:

Hey @Drake10114 I would probably go for a 60cm for the Phantom 530, maybe even a 60cm and a 30cm if you want even lighting.
Additionally, the included adapter for the ASUS Aura header is also going to work with your MSi header and the LED's will tie into the Mystic Lighting software the same as it would ASUS Aura.
Also, the differences between the strips and the kit is that the kit comes with the RF receiver and remote to control the LED's without the need for software as software isn't always the most reliable and can sometimes not properly function. The strips as a standalone are for people who want to add to their kit, or just purchase strips to tie into the ASUS, MSi, or Gigabyte/Aorus boards where the RGB headers are included.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. :)

Awesome thanks, I guess I can always add more later on if I find 30cm isn't quite enough, rather than getting 60cm, and realizing I preferred 30cm.

Current System Specs:

20 minutes ago, Drake10114 said:

Awesome thanks, I guess I can always add more later on if I find 30cm isn't quite enough, rather than getting 60cm, and realizing I preferred 30cm.

@Drake10114 of course! :)
Additionally, if you do end up purchasing an additional strip, and it is too long, you can always cut it later to better optimize it for your case.
(See image for cut lines)

cm_led_cut_lines.jpg

1 hour ago, CableMod said:

@Drake10114 of course! :)
Additionally, if you do end up purchasing an additional strip, and it is too long, you can always cut it later to better optimize it for your case.
(See image for cut lines)

cm_led_cut_lines.jpg

Oh, I thought the strip wasn't able to be cut, that makes it easier to frame in a window or something.

Awesome information! Thanks.

Do you guys ever have sales going on? Not buying anytime soon, so curious if I should wait for a sale to get the lights.

Current System Specs:

31 minutes ago, Drake10114 said:

Oh, I thought the strip wasn't able to be cut, that makes it easier to frame in a window or something.

Awesome information! Thanks.

Do you guys ever have sales going on? Not buying anytime soon, so curious if I should wait for a sale to get the lights.

@Drake10114 none currently, and I'm not aware of any coming up either, sorry.

31 minutes ago, CableMod said:

@Drake10114 none currently, and I'm not aware of any coming up either, sorry.

No worries, thanks for the help. RGB should look sweet w/ the black build I've somehow accidentally put together.

Current System Specs:

23 minutes ago, Drake10114 said:

No worries, thanks for the help. RGB should look sweet w/ the black build I've somehow accidentally put together.

@Drake10114 you're very welcome, I need to tell that to my wife next time! "I accidentally put this computer together and accidentally ordered the parts to do so!" haha

17 hours ago, CableMod said:

@Drake10114 you're very welcome, I need to tell that to my wife next time! "I accidentally put this computer together and accidentally ordered the parts to do so!" haha

Lol, just say you were dreaming about it, and must have been accidentally ordering it while asleep.

Current System Specs:

18 hours ago, CableMod said:

Random question that I just thought of,

Ik you guys do custom-cable sleeving, but do you guys have silver-coloured sleeves? More curious for down the road upgrades. Figure silver can reflect some light from the LED's, and also nicely fit the black look.

Current System Specs:

7 hours ago, Drake10114 said:

Random question that I just thought of,

Ik you guys do custom-cable sleeving, but do you guys have silver-coloured sleeves? More curious for down the road upgrades. Figure silver can reflect some light from the LED's, and also nicely fit the black look.

Hey @Drake10114 check out our configurator page where you can see all of our colors and completely customize your cables. Additionally, you may want to check out our Carbon sleeving option as well, I recommend going with our ModMesh sleeving option. :)
https://store.cablemod.com/configurator/

16 hours ago, CableMod said:

Hey @Drake10114 check out our configurator page where you can see all of our colors and completely customize your cables. Additionally, you may want to check out our Carbon sleeving option as well, I recommend going with our ModMesh sleeving option. :)
https://store.cablemod.com/configurator/

Thanks, I'll definitely check into it.

Current System Specs:

Dont mean to springboard, but since we are on the topic I guess @CableMod is the best to ask;

I'm looking at getting the blue strip ("BOO, WHY NOT RGB???" right? Well it's a mostly blue build) and I was wondering if the blue kit can be dimmed at all? Through software or a switch. This is a project for a friend and the PC will be in their bedroom so they might want to turn down the light emitting from the S340 Elite case these are going in. (and yes, I'm getting the ModMesh cables for the EVGA G2 PSU as well) [Edit, I will not planning on using an ASUS motherboard sadly so that option is not present for me]

large_28bb2489152e7aca.png

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

5 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Dont mean to springboard, but since we are on the topic I guess @CableMod is the best to ask;

I'm looking at getting the blue strip ("BOO, WHY NOT RGB???" right? Well it's a mostly blue build) and I was wondering if the blue kit can be dimmed at all? Through software or a switch. This is a project for a friend and the PC will be in their bedroom so they might want to turn down the light emitting from the S340 Elite case these are going in. (and yes, I'm getting the ModMesh cables for the EVGA G2 PSU as well) [Edit, I will not planning on using an ASUS motherboard sadly so that option is not present for me]

large_28bb2489152e7aca.png

@TVwazhere sorry but the standard LED solutions are not dim-able , you would need to purchase the RGB kit and set it to blue and then dim it.

3 minutes ago, CableMod said:

@TVwazhere sorry but the standard LED solutions are not dim-able , you would need to purchase the RGB kit and set it to blue and then dim it.

Thats what I was afraid of. Thank you for answering my question!

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25