Battle of the GTX10-M Series?

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone in the community would be willing to help me decide on a new laptop. I'm torn between if it's worth the extra $400 for a 17" laptop with a 1060 over a 1050Ti.

I would love the new MSI Stealth Pro with 1060 because of it's size and good performance, but frankly, is the 1060 needed? I'm only gonna be playing at 1080p (obviously) so would something like the new Dell or Acer computers with their 1050/Ti's be better if I could save the $4-500 for a better Ryzen computer? I play games and stream them to my custom RMTP server so I would still like to manage a 720/60 stream while still maintaining a decent frame rate and graphic fidelity. 

Many thanks,

J

Mainline: MacBook Air M1 Display(s): Acer K272HUL; VIOTEK - GNV32DB Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech M720/K780 Sound: AirPods 3 Operating System: MacOS Phone: iPhone 13 Pro (Graphite)

So... what's your question? I don't think you should spend another $400 on a GPU upgrade ONLY. There has to be a storage upgrade and a RAM upgrade to go along with it. going from a 1050 Ti to a 1060 is NOT worth $400. Hell, going from a 1070 to a 1080 isn't worth $400.

Also, what's this talk about a Ryzen PC? You have a 5820K. There's no need to upgrade... at all.

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260

53 minutes ago, Imglidinhere said:

So... what's your question? I don't think you should spend another $400 on a GPU upgrade ONLY. There has to be a storage upgrade and a RAM upgrade to go along with it. going from a 1050 Ti to a 1060 is NOT worth $400. Hell, going from a 1070 to a 1080 isn't worth $400.

Also, what's this talk about a Ryzen PC? You have a 5820K. There's no need to upgrade... at all.

So I should stick with a 1050Ti laptop over the 1060? After looking at the reviews of the Dell i7000 it seems like I should avoid it. So out of the list below, what do you think I should get?

• Acer Predator 17 (G9-793-78CM) [Amazon AISN: B01LD4MKQI]

• MSI Stealth Pro GS73VR  [Amazon ASIN: B01IOHNQQK]

• Asus ROG Strix GL702VM-DB74 [Amazon ASIN: B01KB0X0OQ]

Thanks for your recommendation.

Frankly I want to upgrade to Ryzen (if it proves worthy, else I'll sell my X99 rig and just build an APU rig with a mini-1070 in it) just because I want to. Because I'm sick of Intel and their Crap! I'm stick of this POS mobo (I've killed three now) and I'm on the edge of just saying "screw it" and giving up and buying an OEM system.

Mainline: MacBook Air M1 Display(s): Acer K272HUL; VIOTEK - GNV32DB Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech M720/K780 Sound: AirPods 3 Operating System: MacOS Phone: iPhone 13 Pro (Graphite)

Update:

Acer is releasing their "Nitro Black" update which will house up to the 1060 and will have official pricing and availability in February. https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/press/2017/223165

Have you taken a look at the new Inspiron 15 or Lenovo's Legion line? 

Here to shake up those MSI and ASUS recommendations. 

I would also take a look at the AW13 if you can get a good deal. 

18 minutes ago, Jumpwired said:

Have you taken a look at the new Inspiron 15 or Lenovo's Legion line? 

Here to shake up those MSI and ASUS recommendations. 

I would also take a look at the AW13 if you can get a good deal. 

The i7000 from Dell sucks and has horrid reviews and the Legion line is meh at best.

The AW13 is much too small as I could just get a Macbook Air used off of eBay if I wanted a useless 13" brick to stare at.

4 hours ago, wolfboytech said:

The i7000 from Dell sucks and has horrid reviews and the Legion line is meh at best.

The AW13 is much too small as I could just get a Macbook Air used off of eBay if I wanted a useless 13" brick to stare at.

The new Inspirons are shipping out in February so I don't know about your horrid reviews. 

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/dell-inspiron-15-7000-gaming

Lol useless brick at the AW13... man u need to stop talking out of your ass. 

EDIT: Nvm first impressions are out... screen is garbage. 

4 hours ago, wolfboytech said:

Acer is releasing their "Nitro Black" update which will house up to the 1060 and will have official pricing and availability in February. https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/press/2017/223165

will be shit. the nitro editions cannot cool itself. even the ones with the 970m and 960ms. Much less Pascal as Pascal is far hotter than Maxwell and Kaby Lake is hotter than Skylake.

Hotter* = higher density die sizes make dissipating concentrated thermal output much more difficult. Total waste heat emitted is the same (aka TDP is the same). But keeping it cool is much much harder. 

2 hours ago, wolfboytech said:

k sure. the legion line isn't even publicly purchasable yet but okay. the i7000 is fine for the price. that's the whole point of the laptop. hit a certain spec at a certain price. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

7 hours ago, wolfboytech said:

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone in the community would be willing to help me decide on a new laptop. I'm torn between if it's worth the extra $400 for a 17" laptop with a 1060 over a 1050Ti.

I would love the new MSI Stealth Pro with 1060 because of it's size and good performance, but frankly, is the 1060 needed? I'm only gonna be playing at 1080p (obviously) so would something like the new Dell or Acer computers with their 1050/Ti's be better if I could save the $4-500 for a better Ryzen computer? I play games and stream them to my custom RMTP server so I would still like to manage a 720/60 stream while still maintaining a decent frame rate and graphic fidelity. 

Many thanks,

J

Checking your listed models, none of them are good for livestreaming.

Your best bet is probably this model:

https://lpc-digital.com/product/sager-np8156-clevo-p650hp6-g/ and make sure you ask them for the Prema mod. You'll need to source your own OS, but it's cheaper than the ASUS and such. It'll cool properly too; a repaste probably would help further though. Alternately http://www.hidevolution.com/evoc-p650hp6-g-custom-built-gaming-laptop-w-nvidia-gtx-1060-w-g-sync.html here is a good place, however copying the same specs will give it a slightly higher price. But this is a good company and do thermal pad arrangements that's non-stock for the best cooling.

If this is too much, then you're probably best off with something else that has a 1050Ti. Something not thin, not from Dell, not from Acer, not from HP. I have one I would recommend but I don't know when it's going to be available for sale.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

3 hours ago, Jumpwired said:

The new Inspirons are shipping out in February so I don't know about your horrid reviews. 

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/dell-inspiron-15-7000-gaming

Use google ;)

Lol useless brick at the AW13... man u need to stop talking out of your ass. 

If you go to the official i7000 site they have 13 reviews totaling 3 1/2 Stars.

I hate AW and I hate small laptops, that's why I said it's a useless brick. The fact is there's no reason for a 1080p panel on something that small! It should be MAX a 720p panel. The fact is that it is overpriced junk.

1 hour ago, Pendragon said:

snip ;) 

Thanks for the feedback. As @D2ultima mentioned, I'll probably end up with a custom Clevo unit.

9 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

Checking your listed models, none of them are good for livestreaming.

Your best bet is probably this model:

https://lpc-digital.com/product/sager-np8156-clevo-p650hp6-g/ and make sure you ask them for the Prema mod. You'll need to source your own OS, but it's cheaper than the ASUS and such. It'll cool properly too; a repaste probably would help further though. Alternately http://www.hidevolution.com/evoc-p650hp6-g-custom-built-gaming-laptop-w-nvidia-gtx-1060-w-g-sync.html here is a good place, however copying the same specs will give it a slightly higher price. But this is a good company and do thermal pad arrangements that's non-stock for the best cooling.

If this is too much, then you're probably best off with something else that has a 1050Ti. Something not thin, not from Dell, not from Acer, not from HP. I have one I would recommend but I don't know when it's going to be available for sale.

Thank you, man. I'll look into it. I've been weighing on the edge of the Clevo's for a while and I think you just pushed me down that rabbit hole. Thank you.

19 minutes ago, wolfboytech said:

I hate AW and I hate small laptops, that's why I said it's a useless brick. The fact is there's no reason for a 1080p panel on something that small! It should be MAX a 720p panel. The fact is that it is overpriced junk.

Fair enough. 

I still don't understand the appeal of Clevo BGA units. 

Quality/support wise ASUS, MSI and AW are much better options. 

Interesting that the only complaint about the Inspiron was the TN screen. 

Wonder how those people received their units so early... 

EDIT: Nvm just noticed the Jan 2 launch date.. seems like its backordered. Wow that screen is garbage. Forget that recommendation. 

13 minutes ago, Jumpwired said:

Fair enough. 

Interesting that the only complaint about the Inspiron was the TN screen. 

Wonder how those people received their units so early... 

Not sure. I think it is the fact that they have the ability to upgrade so easily. With most manufacturers ordering SOC's, Clevo units usually have SOC Cards with the chip/socket soldered onto a removable expansion card. This is great for companies like Multicom and Eurocom because it allows them to easily buy the upgrades and re-sell them at a higher price. It also allows the user to have the experience we desktop owners have in a more... Controlled environment. I think.. I could just be crazy! :D :P As to the reviews, Dell has been notorious for their site having issues near launch... And always has issues with product ID's... Like the one review was talking about an 8000-series unit.

5 minutes ago, wolfboytech said:

Not sure. I think it is the fact that they have the ability to upgrade so easily. With most manufacturers ordering SOC's, Clevo units usually have SOC Cards with the chip/socket soldered onto a removable expansion card. This is great for companies like Multicom and Eurocom because it allows them to easily buy the upgrades and re-sell them at a higher price. It also allows the user to have the experience we desktop owners have in a more... Controlled environment. I think.. I could just be crazy! :D :P

I didn't know about the SOC Cards... Sounds legit. 

I could see why that is a good option for some. 

Give us some feedback when you get your new machine :) 

The Dell/Aw launch shit show is real. Almost have to wait a month or two for the kinks to get ironed out. Sad. 

51 minutes ago, wolfboytech said:

Most people that buy from Dell have no business in buying a laptop or a PC of any kind. :P I wouldn't trust half those reviews.

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260

29 minutes ago, Jumpwired said:

I didn't know about the SOC Cards... Sounds legit. 

I could see why that is a good option for some. 

Give us some feedback when you get your new machine :) 

The Dell/Aw launch shit show is real. Almost have to wait a month or two for the kinks to get ironed out. Sad. 

That's every major brand... Every machine has its kinks. :P 

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

4 minutes ago, wolfboytech said:

Thank you, man. I'll look into it. I've been weighing on the edge of the Clevo's for a while and I think you just pushed me down that rabbit hole. Thank you.

Really good cooling for the other models doesn't begin until you crack $2000 easily. Would personally suggest liquid metal thermal paste on the CPU from HID if you go there.

2 minutes ago, Jumpwired said:

They actually have good cooling while being relatively thin, and you can Prema mod them. They aren't without downside, but a good reseller and a Prema mod pretty much fixes all those downsides, so...

ASUS has even worse quality control than Clevo (who has heatsink and software QC issues), and some of the worst support in the world. They are also known for sacrificing cooling for lower noise, and their warranty is atrocious; many models denying warranty if you so much as switch a HDD from one slot to another. MSI is better in QC and support easily, but the comparable models are more expensive and worse cooled and less unlockable. They are, however, a close second this gen... but still inferior compared to a solid prema modded machine. 

Alienware keeps making shittier machines every single gen. 1st gen BGA (AW17 R2, AW15 R1) had a power throttle bug where the CPU would lose turbo or lock to 800MHz under simultaneous CPU & GPU load. They never fixed it and gave up and left their customers high and dry. Their 2nd gen BGA models weren't as bad but had absolutely disgusting screens and reported issues with drawing a lot of power. They're the only models I would consider for anyone, but since they're more expensive and don't have Clevo's MUX switch, I don't see why to pick them either unless one REALLY needs long battery life. The 3rd gen BGA models (AW17 R4, AW15 R3) have a badly designed (not QC issues, but DESIGN fault) heatsink. The heatsink is shared, and its contact is uneven. One needs to manually BEND the heatsink among doing multiple thermal pad placement and repaste issues to get proper CPU & GPU contact, and AW is not going to accept warranty claims for overheating unless stuff hits 110c on the CPU or some crap (note that thermal shutdown takes place between 100 and 105c). Nobody should be buying AW. Period.

9 minutes ago, wolfboytech said:

Not sure. I think it is the fact that they have the ability to upgrade so easily. With most manufacturers ordering SOC's, Clevo units usually have SOC Cards with the chip/socket soldered onto a removable expansion card. This is great for companies like Multicom and Eurocom because it allows them to easily buy the upgrades and re-sell them at a higher price. It also allows the user to have the experience we desktop owners have in a more... Controlled environment. I think.. I could just be crazy! :D :P As to the reviews, Dell has been notorious for their site having issues near launch... And always has issues with product ID's... Like the one review was talking about an 8000-series unit.

The models you're thinking about with the sockets are the P7 and P8 models. The P6 models are fully soldered like most other machines, but they're thinner and lighter. If you want the socketed models, let me know, but they're more expensive. In this case I'd suggest purely from HIDevolution as they delid the CPUs and apply liquid metal paste between the die and the IHS so that cooling actually works, free of charge. They also auto-overclock any chips you get (4.3GHz for any i5 and 4.7GHz for any i7), also free of charge. The only way to put a non-delidded, non-overclocked chip in the machine is to buy no CPU.

The CPUs are desktop mainstream chips (i5-7600K, i7-7700K, etc) and the GPUs are MXM cards, which is essentially a PCI/e slot for laptops. nVidia doesn't want socketed GPUs anymore, so any ODM that uses them must pay for their own design R&D. So only Clevo DTRs and top end MSI will have MXM cards. And MSI isn't aiming for upgrade-ability or a standard, so Clevo is probably the only one that will attempt it. MSI has whitebook variants with desktop CPUs, like Eurocom's Tornado F5, but they won't sell them to regular users, so it's almost pointless. It's like they could do well but they refuse to.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

2 hours ago, Jumpwired said:

Asus is shit. Can't cool any of their laptops. Support is a piece of shit. Warranty is as bad as Razer's.  AW has tons of issues. I have one. God there are so many issues. (All of which is fixable which is more than can be said for the Asus). Spent nearly 12 hours of actual work time to get it in working condition. MSI out of the box is better. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p