i want an ssd but not sure what to get.

this is my mother board: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B150-GAMING-M3.html#hero-overview

(bad choice, i know. should have got a better chipset)

i want to get an ssd with around 240GB of storage for my pc but i am not sure as to what one will give me the best speeds. my mother board has an m.2 port but to quote msi's website "M.2 6Gb/s (SATA mode only) + SATA 6Gb/s" i am not sure what this really means but there is a handy image lower on t he page that says i would only get 6gb/s over m.2 on this motherboard. it does say i can get up to 16GB/s over sata express. i don't know if you can get an ssd using sata express though. for all i know none of this matters. please help me out and point me in the direction of  a great ssd. thanks

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id get a mx300. 

There are no sata express ssds.

ok, thanks

Basically you can only use sata m.2, meaning you won't net any speed benefits of the m.2 port. My suggestion for SSD's is the Crucial MX300, pretty fast (you won't notice the difference outside benchmarks) and it offers more than the usual for less price aka a Samsung evo 250gb will cost more than the Crucial MX300 275gb - free space! 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

1 minute ago, stealth80 said:

Basically you can only use sata m.2, meaning you won't net any speed benefits of the m.2 port. My suggestion for SSD's is the Crucial MX300, pretty fast (you won't notice the difference outside benchmarks) and it offers more than the usual for less price aka a Samsung evo 250gb will cost more than the Crucial MX300 275gb - free space! 

will a sata ssd still offer me great improvements over my wd blue 1tb hdd?

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

doesn't have a pcie m.2 slot.

also what is nvm express. it says i have that "supports nvm express"

1 minute ago, TimBoBaggins said:

also what is nvm express. it says i have that "supports nvm express"

a way of using storage over pcie. 

You can put a drive in a pcie slot, but isn't woth the 2x price over a sata one.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can put a drive in a pcie slot, but isn't woth the 2x price over a sata one.

ok. so a standared sata ssd will be good then

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

or any m.2 ssd which would avoid some cables

Adata's SP550 series is a good start if you are looking for a budget option, they tend to be one of the cheapest. I have one myself and it is very solid, just wish I had saved a bit more money to get the 240GB one instead.

Samsungs are the fastest but in practical applications you won't notice much of a difference (if at all) except in very specific tasks like video editing.

I believe that OCZ has the highest right endurance of the SSDs so they would last you the longest if you plan on writing to it a lot. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit