Giving New Life To Old Desktop

So I recieved this old desktop from someone I know and when I got it it was just a dusty old desktop that someone used to use as their personal home computer but since it was a older machine I just cleaned it of dust and let it sit and just wait until I found a use for it and it only got used every once in a while with a old 8600gt I had to try some older games on like the origonal Crysis which it ran pretty wel at minimum settings. I remember getting a 1u server for a file server but it was way to noisy to run 24/7 in the closet in my room so I finally came to the conclusion I'm just going to convert the Acer into a file server. I already put a nice quality Seasonic PSU in it to replace the old crusty PSU, and I just installed a gigabit eathernet card and a PCI SATA raid card and boom she is ready. I just moved the 1tb HDD and the 120gb SSD from the 1u server to the Acer and bam it surprisingly seamlessly moved over and my Windows Server 2016 install even kept  it's activation (which was extra supprising) and now I can just use it as a file server. Also for those who are wondering the SATA config I'm currently using the 2 integrated SATA ports on the motherboard until I get a second hard drive then I'll use the raid card to make them a raid 1 the raid card is a bit iffy though since it is a cheap one and is a bit slow also I want to make sure it works properly before I even plug my main storage drive into it.

image.jpeg

And for upgrades I plan to probably get a newer SATA 3 PCI Express raid card and this https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00V6ACHOA/ to add USB 3.0 and still keep the gigabit eathernet port since the machine only has 2 PCI Express ports with one being x1 and the other being x16. Also does anyone have any suggestions for further upgrades the machine currently has a 2.2ghz Athlon 64 x2, and 4gb of DDR2 ram and can be upgraded to 8gb. It also has 4 HDD bays with 2 being easily accessable with the other 2 having to remove the CPU cooler and RAM to get to.

Funny my office has the same pc.

Thou we use it for virus cleaning with LiveBootCD for infected HDDs and thumbdrives

tmp_1157-20170127_124949806451873.jpg

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

8 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

Funny my office has the same pc.

Thou we use it for virus cleaning with LiveBootCD for infected HDDs and thumbdrives

tmp_1157-20170127_124949806451873.jpg

That's real funny I bet you can tell how quiet the little Athlon 64 Acers are though and why I chose it for my NAS

1 minute ago, SuperShermanTanker said:

That's real funny I bet you can tell how quiet the little Athlon 64 Acers are though and why I chose it for my NAS

I was more surprised the PC is still able to boot to this day

A lot of my acers have since died from various reasons.

Mobo failure being the most common followed by PSU failure.

The PC had Win XP installed and the damn HDD is working! :o

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

6 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

Same with mine when I got mine eccept XP was long gone by then and I since then upgraded the PSU to a Seasonic 300watt 80+ Bronze one and I put the old hard drive into a desktop I gave a family member since the hard drive was still good and was buzzing fine and it still works even after that family member had it for quite a few months now. I'm hoping the Mobo in mine will last though because I'm planning to keep this guy running for a while. And if it doesn't all the upgrades I'm buying are going to be newer SATA and PCI Express parts to make it possible to migrate over to a new machine.

Also one more thing there is still a Windows Vista Home Edition key on the side of the machine.. I can't believe it's still on there and wow the nastalga of that OS...

something unrelated AMD was the first CPU maker to introduce x64 in 2003

The Pentium 4 which was the direct rival to the Athlon 64 got raped in most application benches and games performance.

sadly single core in today PC world will be a pain to work on. Prob if you still use really old OS and applications which still uses single core performance.

1 hour ago, dragoon20005 said:

something unrelated AMD was the first CPU maker to introduce x64 in 2003

The Pentium 4 which was the direct rival to the Athlon 64 got raped in most application benches and games performance.

sadly single core in today PC world will be a pain to work on. Prob if you still use really old OS and applications which still uses single core performance.

Yah you pretty much can't use a single core for anything anymore other then maybe word processing and email but that's it

1 hour ago, dragoon20005 said:

I finally got everything back together and closed my closet door and wow it makes a world of a difference in sound volume I just hope the machine doesn't overheat itself in my tiny closet :P