Is the Cryorig H5 the best $50 cooler?

EunSoo

Hi, I'm getting a new cooler for my 6600k with the intention to overclock. Is the Cryorig H5 my best bet or or is there anything else I should consider. Thanks 

1 minute ago, SCGazelle said:

Hi, I'm getting a new cooler for my 6600k with the intention to overclock. Is the Cryorig H5 my best bet or or is there anything else I should consider. Thanks 

Which version, the Universal or the Ultimate?

I have the H5 Ultimate and it's excellent. My CPU never tops 65 degrees in my not-particularly-well-ventilated case, and it is seriously quiet.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

3 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Which version, the Universal or the Ultimate?

I have the H5 Ultimate and it's excellent. My CPU never tops 65 degrees in my not-particularly-well-ventilated case, and it is seriously quiet.

I was going to get Universal because it is a tad cheaper. But I'm not quite sure what the difference between the two are. If the Ultimate is worth the slightly higher price I will gladly get that instead

I was going to get Universal because it is a tad cheaper. But I'm not quite sure what the difference is. If the Ultimate is worth the slightly higher price I will gladly get that instead

not sure if its the "best" but i know its a very good cooler for the money 

1 minute ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

not sure if its the "best" but i know its a very good cooler for the money 

Is there anything better at around $50?

Is there anything better at around $50?

Not that i can think of, my point was more enough searching on ebay would probably give you a cooler with a 1-2 degree improvement 

1 minute ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

Not that i can think of, my point was more enough searching on ebay would probably give you a cooler with a 1-2 degree improvement 

oh, i see. I'll look but I think that I would rather grab something new.

4 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Im fine paying a little more but is it better? Some quick research on this website (http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1441-page7.html) shows me that the h5 is a tad better.

Im fine paying a little more but is it better? Some quick research on this website (http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1441-page7.html) shows me that the h5 is a tad better.

There is a few temps (1-2) diff between the 2

Spoiler

CPU_OC_max.gifcryorig-h5-universal-cpu-cooler-review_28

However the Dark Rock 3 is much quiter

Spoiler

cryorig-h5-universal-cpu-cooler-review_29cryorig-h5-universal-cpu-cooler-review_30

Spoiler

fan_noise50.giffan_noise100.gif

5 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

cryorig-h5-universal-cpu-cooler-review_29cryorig-h5-universal-cpu-cooler-review_30

Reveal hidden contents

hmm, that makes my decision a little harder. I'll probably go with the dark rock 3 then

17 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

I was going to get Universal because it is a tad cheaper. But I'm not quite sure what the difference between the two are. If the Ultimate is worth the slightly higher price I will gladly get that instead

The difference is in the fan, the Universal uses a thinner unit whilst the Ultimate users a standard-size one. The Ultimate's fan can push more air, in theory.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

12 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

hmm, that makes my decision a little harder. I'll probably go with the dark rock 3 then

I would get a Scythe Fuma or a Thermalright Macho Rev B. over either the H5 or Dark Rock, the Scythe is by far the best ~50 dollar cooler on the market and the Macho Rev B beats the Dark Rock 3 by a degree or two and is just as quiet for a lower price.

Scythe Fuma:

https://www.amazon.com/Scythe-SCFM-1000-Compact-Socket-Cooler/dp/B01B53HG0W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485459743&sr=8-1&keywords=scythe+fuma

Thermalright Macho Rev B.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-814256001052-Macho-Rev-B/dp/B00PKJ21LW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485459771&sr=8-1&keywords=Thermalright+macho+rev+b

On 1/26/2017 at 11:17 AM, deXxterlab97 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

This is the DRP3. The DR3 is worse and not better than the H5 for cooling. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.