To what should I upgrade my CPU?

So My pc is mainly used for gaming, and I've been noticing it's starting to struggle running most newer games above low setting with a smooth fps.

My current gpu and cpu are:

• AMD Radeon HD 7850
  • AMD Phenom II X4 965
  • Motherboard is an Asrock 970 extreme3

When I used MSI Afterburner in Witcher 3 at medium-low settings to check the % of both used, I only got 30-35 FPS and my GPU was at 99% and my CPU was at 80%, meaning that even with a slight upgrade to my GPU, my CPU would bottleneck forcing me to upgrade that one as well.

So my question is to what should I upgrade my CPU to have no real bottleneck for 1080P gaming, while on a slight budget of around 450euro. (300-350 for GPU and the rest for CPU). Computer part pricing in Europe is hell.

I want to be able to run current games at a smooth 60 fps.

I know for my GPU I should upgrade to a 1060 or a rx480, but I really don't know where to start for my CPU

My friend recommended me a i5 6600K but that thing is quite expensive and I'm sure there are cheaper options for the same performance, but I just don't know what to search for.

Whats the budget for cpu + gpu?

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

You can go used which will save a nice chunk of monies but if not, a 6500/7500 should do the trick :) 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

7 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Whats the budget for cpu + gpu?

Around 450 euro.

300-350 GPU

100-150 CPU

7 minutes ago, The Third Thomas said:

Around 450 euro.

300-350 GPU

100-150 CPU

You're not gonna get much of a cpu upgrade with that budget to be honest.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

You're not gonna get much of a cpu upgrade with that budget to be honest.

Let's say it were 150-200?

I'm really new to all this, bought my pc from a friend and he did all the combining. Had it for 2-3 years now finally doing my first upgrade

3 minutes ago, Cylon Muffins said:

You'll also need a new motherboard to go with the new CPU, don't forget to factor that into your budget.

Really? My current motherboard is an Asrock 970 Extreme3, don't know much about motherboards so why would I need to upgrade it?

2 minutes ago, The Third Thomas said:

Really? My current motherboard is an Asrock 970 Extreme3, don't know much about motherboards so why would I need to upgrade it?

The only way you'll get any real performance gains is by switching to Intel(or waiting for Ryzen), hence the new motherboard.

And if you go for Skylake or Kabylake or Ryzen, you'll also need new RAM.

Intel core i5-6500 should do the trick

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

5 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

The only way you'll get any real performance gains is by switching to Intel(or waiting for Ryzen), hence the new motherboard.

And if you go for Skylake or Kabylake or Ryzen, you'll also need new RAM.

Whelp I guess I'll have to wait another 2 months to be able to afford all that xD

Didn't expect the necessary Motherboard and RAM upgrade as well. I thought it was as simple as slapping a new cpu in there.

Thanks for the help tho, without you guys I'd have been fucked soon

If you don't mind waiting, get ryzen or intel (if their price drops when ryzen comes out). So either get ryzen, a ryzen mobo and either a 480 8gb or 1060 6gb (or get vega). 

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)