Plex server

Hello!

I need some help with my multi media infrastructure. At the moment i have a Qnap TS-251 with 3TB storage and 4GB RAM connected to my network. This NAS contains all of my TVshows and movies.

Also connected to my network is an HP Probook 6550b laptop. This laptop is running Plex media server for my three TVs (One 4k and two full HD). I'm noticing that my laptop is not fast enough to encode more than two HD streams. If i stream more the movies start to buffer. I want to replace my latop but i'm not really sure with what.

What does Plex need to encode fast? is it smart to just get a server instead of a NAS?
Don't know if it makes any difference but i live in the Netherlands and my budget is around €500,-.

-edit-

I have an desktop pc with a 6600k processor, 16GB RAM, AMD R9 280.
But i need this for work and gaming so i don't think it's smart to use this for Plex?

1 minute ago, mrkwkns said:

What does Plex need to encode fast?

it needs cpu.

For servers, id get something like a used desktop. Often you can get something like a dell optiplex with a sandy bridge cpu for cheap and they should be able to handle 3+ streams

2 minutes ago, mrkwkns said:

Hello!

I need some help with my multi media infrastructure. At the moment i have a Qnap TS-251 with 3TB storage and 4GB RAM connected to my network. This NAS contains all of my TVshows and movies.

Also connected to my network is an HP Probook 6550b laptop. This laptop is running Plex media server for my three TVs (One 4k and two full HD). I'm noticing that my laptop is not fast enough to encode more than two HD streams. If i stream more the movies start to buffer. I want to replace my latop but i'm not really sure with what.

What does Plex need to encode fast? is it smart to just get a server instead of a NAS?
Don't know if it makes any difference but i live in the Netherlands and my budget is around €500,-.

-edit-

I have an desktop pc with a 6600k processor, 16GB RAM, AMD R9 280.
But i need this for work and gaming so i don't think it's smart to use this for Plex?

i use an old dual core i5 mac mini for my plex server and it can handle 3-4 streams at the same time

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

it needs cpu.

For servers, id get something like a used desktop. Often you can get something like a dell optiplex with a sandy bridge cpu for cheap and they should be able to handle 3+ streams

What kind of CPU?
AMD or Intel?
Single core or multi core?
Desktop or server?

I'm new to this encoding stuff...

2 minutes ago, SlipperyPete said:

i use an old dual core i5 mac mini for my plex server and it can handle 3-4 streams at the same time

Does Plex server run well on OSX?

At the moment my HP Probook runs Windows and every now and then it updates... it's kind of annoying.

2 minutes ago, mrkwkns said:

What kind of CPU?

It uses all the cores it can use.

amd or intel doesn't matter, but normally intel is much lower power.

Desktop and server cpu's are basically the same, but the server chips have some extras unlocked. I would just get a desktop chip.

just as well as windows or linux. OS doesn't really matter, but linux is normally the fastest by a few percent.

If windows updates are annoying, use linux. You can do all the updates without reboots.

At the moment my HP Probook runs Windows and every now and then it updates... it's kind of annoying.

i havent had any issues. its easy to setup and easy to use.

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

I'll have a look at a used Mac mini. Sounds like a good solution. Small, fast and there are heaps on Ebay,Craigslist etc.

Thanks for the help guys

3 minutes ago, mrkwkns said:

I'll have a look at a used Mac mini. Sounds like a good solution. Small, fast and there are heaps on Ebay,Craigslist etc.

Thanks for the help guys

Id stay away from them. There normally way overpriced compared to old dells as there apples.

Id get a old dell optiplex, much faster and cheaper. Chuck linux on it.

I'll have a look at those too. but i have to say i don't have any experience with Linux.
But i'm not afraid to do some tinkering. :)

Before you buy anything, do you have to encode the things you stream?

I run Plex on a crappy old i3 laptop, but I just direct stream everything to my Firestick or my phone, CPU is only under like 25% load.

Does you mum know you're here?

if you have a room where you can forget about the thing being noisy, i found out today they're tossing out HP proliant DL380 G5's for next to nothing. i spotted a few fully kitted out ones two quadcore processors (total performance comparable to a modern i5) 32GB ram, dual power supplies, and a set of hard drives that fit perfectly in your price range, you could search for a dutch company that processes the junk from datacenters and see what they have on sale.

2 hours ago, VVoltor said:

Before you buy anything, do you have to encode the things you stream?

I run Plex on a crappy old i3 laptop, but I just direct stream everything to my Firestick or my phone, CPU is only under like 25% load.

Would you mind sharing your Plex server settings. As soon i start streaming my CPU load goes up to 80%.

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

if you have a room where you can forget about the thing being noisy, i found out today they're tossing out HP proliant DL380 G5's for next to nothing. i spotted a few fully kitted out ones two quadcore processors (total performance comparable to a modern i5) 32GB ram, dual power supplies, and a set of hard drives that fit perfectly in your price range, you could search for a dutch company that processes the junk from datacenters and see what they have on sale.

I have some space behind a wall. So maybe some old server could work.

2 hours ago, mrkwkns said:

Would you mind sharing your Plex server settings. As soon i start streaming my CPU load goes up to 80%.

On the server: Local, remote and online quality set to original. HTML5, Direct Play, Direct Stream and Direct Play AC3 enabled. Only burn image format subtitles.

Then just set the device you're streaming to to the highest possible quality. For me that's 20.0 Mpbs 1080p over wifi.

Does you mum know you're here?

Ok, i came up with another idea. I could get some silent coolers for my desktop pc and let it run 24/7 with Plex server.
It's got an i5 6600k and 16GB RAM so that should be sufficient (streaming to one tv while someone else is browsing the web on the pc). Only thing is i have an NCASE M1 which is kind of small. But getting new cooling is cheaper than buying an used server/Mac mini. I want it to be silent.

Or is this a really bad idea?