1100D for 150€ (used). To buy or not?

Go to solution Solved by Puppet,

I'm aware of all of this. I know it's only gonna have just a kit lens with that 150€, but I'm rather interested in it, because of not only the cheap price, but also because of what I've seen, EF and EF/S lenses are rather common in the second-hand market, so that could lower the costs a bit in the future. And if I somehow loose interest in photography, there would be less money gone to it compared to better, and more expensive DSLRs.

And about your plan contacting the seller and trying to cut 100€ of it, it would never work. At least on the second-hand market.

Well it's really not that bad of a stills camera, lens sharpness means a lot more than megapixel count IMO. I would definitely take this over something like a bridge camera which is probably what you would be looking at if you were buying new.

The next level up i.e the 550-700d definitely has better price to performance. To be honest I think you should save another ~100€ to get one of those on the used market, you should be able to afford that, just eat pasta/ramen for a few weeks. There is a higher chance that you will lose interest in photography if your camera doesn't do what you want it to.

I would consider that price fairly average for a used 1100d so its not as if you are in any rush. The 1100d is a proper DSLR with proper manual controls, so you will be able to learn from it, just think it's best to look at the amount of money you will spend in total.

It's kind of like building a PC if you buy each component separately over a long period of time it only leads to leaving you slightly disappointed.

So I found a used Canon EOS 1100D with 18-55 mm kit lens for 150€. Should I buy it or not? I've been now rethinking my DSLR buying plan due to very limited budget, and I thought that this would maybe be a good starter DSLR for cheap. Unfortunately the seller didn't put any additional information like the shutter count, but should I take the risk? If you need the link, here it is (only in Finnish)

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

No, just no for video

for photos maybe if you are just starting i would buy either a 30d or 40d at this point they are more well built 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

@Ruostunut kokis, It's a reasonable DSLR yet the build quality is kinda on the garbage side. If you're interested in getting into photography the least Canon DSLR model I would go for would be the 600D. Much better value for money IMO. Although, if you can afford, I would encourage you to go for the 700D, I have it and think it's quite good, excellent 1080P video quality and fantastic photo quality. Although if you can find a 650D on sale I would go for that but from what I found here in Australia the 650D and 700D are around the same price.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

@Ruostunut kokis, It's a reasonable DSLR yet the build quality is kinda on the garbage side. If you're interested in getting into photography the least Canon DSLR model I would go for would be the 600D. Much better value for money IMO. Although, if you can afford, I would encourage you to go for the 700D, I have it and think it's quite good, excellent 1080P video quality and fantastic photo quality. Although if you can find a 650D on sale I would go for that but from what I found here in Australia the 650D and 700D are around the same price.

I'm well aware of this. I've been looking for used 600D and 650D, cheapest 600D was like 300€, which for my budget is too much, unless I save up like a year or two and use all of my life savings. And taken into a count that I've never used a DSLR in my life (yet), and I don't mind a bit bad quality. Maybe in the future I'd get into DSLRs more.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Umm the 1100D is the joke of canon's dslr lineup. They put the lowest hardware they could in it and then threw on a mid range point and shoits firmware.

Look for a used 550D?

Been trying for few weeks, none found under 250€.

Been trying for few weeks, none found under 250€.

Spend the extra if you can the 1100D is a joke of a DSLR, its what the people who buy mirrorless cameras buy would have bought before the mirrorless camera. The easiest way to illustrate this would be that it has filters on it like you would find on your smartphone now days.

Spend the extra if you can the 1100D is a joke of a DSLR, its what the people who buy mirrorless cameras buy would have bought before the mirrorless camera. The easiest way to illustrate this would be that it has filters on it like you would find on your smartphone now days.

You got the point. But is it still a true DSLR or just a ''fake'' DSLR?  The most interesting part about it (the one being sold used) is the 150€ price tag, because for real: I don't have much money to spend like others do. I can pay additional 100€ for a used DSLR but that's it. That would be all the money I could use for a year or  two (because I have a very low income)

You got the point. But is it still a true DSLR or just a ''fake'' DSLR?  The most interesting part about it (the one being sold used) is the 150€ price tag, because for real: I don't have much money to spend like others do. I can pay additional 100€ for a used DSLR but that's it. That would be all the money I could use for a year or  two (because I have a very low income)

It's not by any means a "fake DSLR", they are actually pretty capable and I would say build quality is on par with a 550d. As far as I can remember there is no manual video control so you can pretty much rule that out and I would say it has pretty poor noise performance, it's essentially Canons version of the D3100.

Having no money and digital photography don't mix very well, remember you are going to have to put glass in front of it at some stage. For that reason I would say wait, it would be capable of taking great shots, but you are going to need some good lenses for that anyway.

If you really can't wait, contact the seller and see if they will take 100 for it, that way you have an escape plan.

It's not by any means a "fake DSLR", they are actually pretty capable and I would say build quality is on par with a 550d. As far as I can remember there is no manual video control so you can pretty much rule that out and I would say it has pretty poor noise performance, it's essentially Canons version of the D3100.

Having no money and digital photography don't mix very well, remember you are going to have to put glass in front of it at some stage. For that reason I would say wait, it would be capable of taking great shots, but you are going to need some good lenses for that anyway.

If you really can't wait, contact the seller and see if they will take 100 for it, that way you have an escape plan.

I'm aware of all of this. I know it's only gonna have just a kit lens with that 150€, but I'm rather interested in it, because of not only the cheap price, but also because of what I've seen, EF and EF/S lenses are rather common in the second-hand market, so that could lower the costs a bit in the future. And if I somehow loose interest in photography, there would be less money gone to it compared to better, and more expensive DSLRs.

And about your plan contacting the seller and trying to cut 100€ of it, it would never work. At least on the second-hand market.

Well it's really not that bad of a stills camera, lens sharpness means a lot more than megapixel count IMO. I would definitely take this over something like a bridge camera which is probably what you would be looking at if you were buying new.

The next level up i.e the 550-700d definitely has better price to performance. To be honest I think you should save another ~100€ to get one of those on the used market, you should be able to afford that, just eat pasta/ramen for a few weeks. There is a higher chance that you will lose interest in photography if your camera doesn't do what you want it to.

I would consider that price fairly average for a used 1100d so its not as if you are in any rush. The 1100d is a proper DSLR with proper manual controls, so you will be able to learn from it, just think it's best to look at the amount of money you will spend in total.

It's kind of like building a PC if you buy each component separately over a long period of time it only leads to leaving you slightly disappointed.

I've seen two used 650D DSLRs being sold for under 400€ in the past few weeks, so there's still hope for 550D or 600D for affordable price. I think it'll be better to wait for deals on those DSLRs instead of 1100D, as I plan using a DSLR for videos too. And it might be better to wait due to 1100D's low ISO performance... I'll return to the plan in my previous thread and wait.

This thread can be closed if necessary.