4K in the music industry

XXXLovelyXXX
Go to solution Solved by Princess Luna,
5 minutes ago, XXXLovelyXXX said:

Exactly! But why can the publishers just start to release 4k, I know its more expensive but if they did implement it then 4k would become more mainstream and 4k TVs and other devices would get cheaper. right? If the publishers keep releasing content in 1080p then mainstream people wont bother upgrading and tech companies would keep high prices on 4k tvs. The content has the most power of pushing 4K to the mainstream.

Because it ain't just some expensive, it is A LOT expensive, you would have to buy new cameras, new workstations, new softwares, the amount of investment will only justify when the whole 4k market becomes cheap enough for both the end user and the developer.

It's 2017 now and 4K TVs and some computers are becoming more affordable and mainstream especially 4K TVs. 

I don't understand why new music videos getting released in 2017 are still being published on YouTube / VEVO in 1080p! 

Yes 1080p looks good on 4K TVs but 4K looked wayyy better! 

Implementing 4k on music videos and other content mainstream on YouTube would speed up the the process of 4K becoming the standard.

what is stopping the music industry and Hollywood in general of publishing 4K content?

Honestly even if 4k is spreading out a bit more now 1080p is still the world's mainstream, there still are a lot more 1080p monitors in use out there than 4k, I wouldn't know exact numbers though I am sure the 4k audience is still limited enough to make investments on increasing such videos to 4k unworthy yet.

What stopping them is probably nothing more but costs, most likely, without that much of a return since like stated the majority of users still are on the 1080p resolution.

4k still is something more connected  to high end gaming right now, sure there are 4k blurays around as well but aside from xbox 1 users who else really has a bluray player? very little people.

Must be the reason why Intel and Netflix didn't get that much hate for locking the 4k content of netflix to kaby lake and edge only... because in reality 4k monitors are minority. I won't buy a 4k monitor just yet, more likely only around 2020  and even so I might just buy a 4k TV to play games with the PC and keep on using my 2560x1080p  monitor that's good enough for my needs.

And a lot of people I know are thinking of the same, 4k video clips might only become a thing around 2020's...

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

15 minutes ago, XXXLovelyXXX said:

It's 2017 now and 4K TVs and some computers are becoming more affordable and mainstream especially 4K TVs. 

I don't understand why new music videos getting released in 2017 are still being published on YouTube / VEVO in 1080p! 

Yes 1080p looks good on 4K TVs but 4K looked wayyy better! 

Implementing 4k on music videos and other content mainstream on YouTube would speed up the the process of 4K becoming the standard.

what is stopping the music industry and Hollywood in general of publishing 4K content?

Cost/ Technology

Most movies are only mastered in 2K, so unlike older films shot on 35mm there isnt an option to "remaster" older content. 

Simple answer, all there cameras are 1080p, which is why they havent made the switch (no point upgrading working equipment when 4K is not standard yet).

I speak my mind, sorry if thats a problem.

10 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Honestly even if 4k is spreading out a bit more now 1080p is still the world's mainstream, there still are a lot more 1080p monitors in use out there than 4k, I wouldn't know exact numbers though I am sure the 4k audience is still limited enough to make investments on increasing such videos to 4k unworthy yet.

What stopping them is probably nothing more but costs, most likely, without that much of a return since like stated the majority of users still are on the 1080p resolution.

4k still is something more connected  to high end gaming right now, sure there are 4k blurays around as well but aside from xbox 1 users who else really has a bluray player? very little people.

Must the reason why Intel and Netflix didn't get that much hate for locking the 4k content of netflix to kaby lake and edge only... because in reality 4k monitors are minority. I won't buy a 4k monitor just yet, more likely only around 2020  and even so I might just buy a 4k TV to play games with the PC and keep on using my 2560x1080p  monitor that's good enough for my needs.

And a lot of people I know are thinking of the same, 4k video clips might only become a thing around 2020's...

Exactly! But why can the publishers just start to release 4k, I know its more expensive but if they did implement it then 4k would become more mainstream and 4k TVs and other devices would get cheaper. right? If the publishers keep releasing content in 1080p then mainstream people wont bother upgrading and tech companies would keep high prices on 4k tvs. The content has the most power of pushing 4K to the mainstream.

6 minutes ago, OddsCrazyStuff said:

Simple answer, all there cameras are 1080p, which is why they havent made the switch (no point upgrading working equipment when 4K is not standard yet).

Content creators can make 4K become standard. As it would convince people to upgrade their existing displays, in which would cause companies to lower their prices down due to competitors.

9 minutes ago, OddsCrazyStuff said:

This.

Publishers / content producers will move to 4k when BOTH of the following TRUE

1) - Its upgrade time (the old kit is old enough to NEED replacement.

2) - The difference between 4k and 1080p costs is small enough that it is easily justifiable.

5 minutes ago, XXXLovelyXXX said:

Because it ain't just some expensive, it is A LOT expensive, you would have to buy new cameras, new workstations, new softwares, the amount of investment will only justify when the whole 4k market becomes cheap enough for both the end user and the developer.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

42 minutes ago, XXXLovelyXXX said:

It's 2017 now and 4K TVs and some computers are becoming more affordable

it might be 2017 but the internet connection in many country´s is still crap in terms of pricing or other conditions like performance

there are many people that dont even have the bandwith to enjoy 4k content stream from platforms like youtube

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

26 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Don't forget the increased size of the files increases network load on the pipeline.  If the music video uses any visual effects then render times for assets and comps goes up significantly as well.