Video Suggestion - Rural Internet/broadband

harryc1

I live in the countryside in the uk, i get 2mbps down and 0.3mbps up. (megabits).

I cannot get fibre because of the distance from the exchange.

i get crazy latency so i cannot game, stream videos in more than 360p etc.

help? maybe make a video on options for rural broadband users.

I don't see this working as a video. Situations change drastically throughout different countries. What's rural in the UK is pretty urban when compared to somewhere like Canada, where LTT is based. 

A lot of the time, there are no additional option for broadbands in rural places, as it relies more on ISP availability than anything you can do yourself. Some ISPs may have systems in place to allow bonding connections, but in terms of latency, there's not really anything you can do without paying ridiculous money to run a fibre line to your property (something that Open Reach seems to have suspended in the UK). 

Option A) pay your ISP more

Option B) use mobile data from a cell phone using cell towers or satellite

Option C) move

There's really no need for a video...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

23 minutes ago, harryc1 said:

I live in the countryside in the uk, i get 2mbps down and 0.3mbps up. (megabits).

I cannot get fibre because of the distance from the exchange.

i get crazy latency so i cannot game, stream videos in more than 360p etc.

help? maybe make a video on options for rural broadband users.

I'd contact your ISP... the average internet speed in the UK without FTTC is around 5 mbps at least. Unless you live quite literally 15-20 miles from an exchange then there is something wrong with your line. My dad for example lives quite far from his exchange yet still gets a 25mbps fiber package in the middle of nowhere.

Like said, there's no point for video. Your situation is actually quite good. 2mbs is just fine for online gaming, while your upload can cause lag in some games. You should also be able to watch 720p videos (I could do that with my 1mbs 3g). It just buffers quite long. 4g mobile would be better but won't be as good for online fps games.

In here government has set goal for national provider to get 2mbs access to every citizen. Even for those living in Lapland or Åland isles. Which both are pretty rural areas in comparison to me living in 6th largest city of population just under 190 000.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

you want to know rural? There are dozens of places here that can't get anything except satellite internet at 512Kpbs (Kilobits) up and down and only reachable by small prop planes. Or RF from bouncing the signal from mountain top to mountain top using diesel generator powered RF repeaters that can only get refilled by helicopter trips. Managing them remotely is such a pain.