Looking for cheap(?) laptop for college

Labarr

Hello,

I currently use an HP Envy 17" laptop for everything I need to do. However, it's bulky,crappy battery life, and with everything I plug into it on my desk - it's a pain to transfer to and from school.

So I am looking for something that I can always have available on the go.

Some things I am looking for:

13-15 inch screen

Atleast 8GB Ram

1920x1080 resolution

Decent battery life

Processor: *See below*

HDD/SSD does not matter - have a Samsung 840 I can throw in.

I need the laptop for basic computer functions(Word/web browsing/ftp...etc). Here is where my dilemma comes in - I will be using VMware/VirtualBox for Linux operations(Labs/class activities that require it). So I am not sure a dual core processor will cut it (Most laptops I have been looking at in the $400-$550 range have a i5 dual core). I also will be configuring routers/switches, so a gigabit Ethernet port would be nice, but I can always get an adapter

What are your recommendations? Should I be looking into "Ultrabooks" or "Traditional Laptops" ? Ideally, I want a laptop that can get me through graduation in December 2017 (So ideally, under $600) - but If you want to recommend an "overkill" ultrabook - I am open to suggestions.

Thank you

You mentioned what you want but you didn't give us a budget to work around. What price range do you have?

Just now, NinJake said:

You mentioned what you want but you didn't give us a budget to work around. What price range do you have?

$If I can get everything I need for under $600.. that be great. but like I said, I am open to higher end suggestions also ;)

4 minutes ago, Labarr said:

Hello,

I currently use an HP Envy 17" laptop for everything I need to do. However, it's bulky,crappy battery life, and with everything I plug into it on my desk - it's a pain to transfer to and from school.

So I am looking for something that I can always have available on the go.

Some things I am looking for:

13-15 inch screen

Atleast 8GB Ram

1920x1080 resolution

Decent battery life

Processor: *See below*

HDD/SSD does not matter - have a Samsung 840 I can throw in.

I need the laptop for basic computer functions(Word/web browsing/ftp...etc). Here is where my dilemma comes in - I will be using VMware/VirtualBox for Linux operations(Labs/class activities that require it). So I am not sure a dual core processor will cut it (Most laptops I have been looking at in the $400-$550 range have a i5 dual core). I also will be configuring routers/switches, so a gigabit Ethernet port would be nice, but I can always get an adapter

What are your recommendations? Should I be looking into "Ultrabooks" or "Traditional Laptops" ? Ideally, I want a laptop that can get me through graduation in December 2017 - but If you want to recommend an "overkill" ultrabook - I am open to suggestions.

Thank you

I use a Alienware 13 2015 model that has a i7 5500U in it and it's a dual core with hyperthreading and has 16gb of ram and I have no problem running 2 VMs with Virtual Box so you'll be fine with a dual core that has hyper threading

37 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

There is a quad core i7 6700hq for 690. It is refurbished though. Also have a touchscreen

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834267058

34 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Thank you for the pointers! I will take a look

36 minutes ago, SuperShermanTanker said:

I use a Alienware 13 2015 model that has a i7 5500U in it and it's a dual core with hyperthreading and has 16gb of ram and I have no problem running 2 VMs with Virtual Box so you'll be fine with a dual core that has hyper threading

This is assuring. Thank you. I will take a look at what I can find!