Fan on VRMs no difference?

So in SpeedFan I was getting readings of temp 1 being 40 Celcius, temp 2 being 55 Celcius and Temp 3 being 76 Celcius under prime95.

So assuming one of the temps was for my VRMs I put a small amd stock fan directly on top and...

exactly the same temps. Others on the internet who have done the exact same thing are seeing huge temp drops.

So what does this mean? Are those temps not for my VRMs but possibly my northbridge/southbridge? There are no other temp readings for the mobo.

Thanks in advance

Gigabyte 78lmt-usb3

FX-6300 @ 1.4v

Hyper 212 evo

i would guess socket temps or similar

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 minutes ago, Mr_Random_Guy said:

So in SpeedFan I was getting readings of temp 1 being 40 Celcius, temp 2 being 55 Celcius and Temp 3 being 76 Celcius under prime95.

So assuming one of the temps was for my VRMs I put a small amd stock fan directly on top and...

exactly the same temps. Others on the internet who have done the exact same thing are seeing huge temp drops.

So what does this mean? Are those temps not for my VRMs but possibly my northbridge/southbridge? There are no other temp readings for the mobo.

Thanks in advance

Gigabyte 78lmt-usb3

FX-6300 @ 1.4v

Hyper 212 evo

yes those are likely not your VRM temps because those should read at least 120c and probably even more considering youre pushing an overclock on an AMD FX chip on a very cheap 4 phase motherboard...VRM are meant to run hot though and 100c or 110c is pretty common for AM3+

You should probably tone down your overclock though before you break something...is the CPU throttling under load?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

13 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

yes those are likely not your VRM temps because those should read at least 120c and probably even more considering youre pushing an overclock on an AMD FX chip on a very cheap 4 phase motherboard...VRM are meant to run hot though and 100c or 110c is pretty common for AM3+

You should probably tone down your overclock though before you break something...is the CPU throttling under load?

Well, they're not meant to run hot, but they can do so. 90 celsius is around the max safe acceptable temp for VRMs of any kind :P

1 minute ago, Mr_Random_Guy said:

@TheRandomness The fan is zip tied on so don't want to take it off but I can tell you its definitely on the mosfets heatsink

@i_build_nanosuits The CPU doesn't throttle and maxes at 55 C, and is my mobo likely to break?

Was just checking :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

I'll just leave the fan on then even if I can't see the actual temp drops.

20 minutes ago, Mr_Random_Guy said:

@i_build_nanosuits Dropped the voltage to 1.38, falling to 1.33 under load compared to the 1.4v at load i was pushing earlier. Is that much safer?

That board has no vrm sensors or northbridge sensor, most AM3+ do not have either of those things as a matter of fact. What type of clockspeed are you trying to push, i would stay under 4.4 ghz or 4.3 ghz if voltage is not too high, obviously a 4+1 phase board is not meant for overclocking but that one is capable of 140-150w and has a thermal shutdown for the vrms, so it should shut itself off before killing itself, just dont push it too hard. I ran with a 6300 at 4.3ghz for a year or so and it never gave me any problems though voltage was only about 1.3125.

1 hour ago, Mr_Random_Guy said:

@i_build_nanosuits Dropped the voltage to 1.38, falling to 1.33 under load compared to the 1.4v at load i was pushing earlier. Is that much safer?

yes that should be within the safe operation range for this CPU on that motherboard.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR