Do you do these things while building a computer?

VinsinityKT

Short background, friend never built a computer before. He is an IT major and one week he was taught how to build a pc in one of his class. I was simply there to help if he had any issues but he mostly did it himself while I played with the dog. He did some unusal things in my opinion while building the pc. Note all the parts were brand new.

First he installed motherboard in the case. Installed the CPU. Then revealed he brought a q tips and cleaning alcohol. He proceeded to clean the CPU with it. Brought out the stock heat sink and started scraping the thermal paste off of it and cleaned that too with alcohol. And put new thermal paste on the CPU and spread it out with his hands. And then finally installed it. 

After this interesting series of event, I decided to put down the dog and help more.

I feel as if a lot of this was unnecessary and surprised that this was actually taught at a college university. Now some of it I can see maybe you would be doing, but I feel like a lot of this was a waste of time and money.

I wanted to see what you guys think about this and if anyone was also taught something like this at their university. 

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

Heck, nobody taught me how to build a computer at university. I mean seriously? You go to uni, pay expensive tuition to learn how to build a Pc that you can do by watching Linus do it in like under an hour? 

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Heck, nobody taught me how to build a computer at university. I mean seriously? You go to uni, pay expensive tuition to learn how to build a Pc that you can do by watching Linus do it in like under an hour? 

I go to university to learn Differential and Integral Calculus and I could just have easily learned it through great YouTube channels like patrickjmt and khan academy. Doesn't mean that it will replace the course requirement for my degree.

after market thermal paste can provide better cooling, other than that it just seems like a different way to do it with no change in the final product.

3 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

what uni u go to, i went to waterloo, never taught stuff like that, i guess maybe bottom tier universities or colleges will teach that kind of stuff as filler

1 minute ago, CyberneticTitan said:

I go to university to learn Differential and Integral Calculus and I could just have easily learned it through great YouTube channels like patrickjmt and khan academy. Doesn't mean that it will replace the course requirement for my degree.

I know, but that is not something easy imo. Building a pc is essentially just plugging things in. Sure you might learn what these connectors do and stuff like that but still

1 minute ago, gtx1060=value said:

what uni u go to, i went to waterloo, never taught stuff like that, i guess maybe bottom tier universities or colleges will teach that kind of stuff as filler

SFU.

4 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

From what I was told the 1 week class was identifying parts on the motherboard. And building a computer. 3 hrs class time in one week. They used lga 1155 as an example. 

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

4 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

btw - nice profile pic xD

Not kidding, but you don't need to go to Uni to learn how to build a PC. One of the sporty kids in my grade literally sat down with me and my mates for the entirety of one lunch and I explained how PC is better, how to build one, how to find parts, etc. He built a PC on his own and sold his PS4. He even asked me questions on why his RAM wasn't allowing his system to boot and I helped him alleviate the issue over the phone. He was only running 8/16G since one of his DIMMs failed. 

That is weird as shit though

idk

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

SFU.

lol, how many chinese ppl are there, the address is literally 8888 - chinese ppl must've freaked out

SFU.

just took a look at notable alumni - aside from terry fox, like 70 percent are asian

This was a freshmen level course for IT and supposed to be an easy A. So yay. I did multivariable while my friend did this. 

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

2 minutes ago, VinsinityKT said:

From what I was told the 1 week class was identifying parts on the motherboard. And building a computer. 3 hrs class time in one week. They used lga 1155 as an example. 

I am sure 99% of people here including me already know what each parts in this pic do

b75m.png

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I am sure 99% of people here including me already know what each parts in this pic do

b75m.png

facepalm* what university again?

b75m.png

Yeah I know, I guess they just needed to cover all the details necessary for IT. 

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

2 minutes ago, gtx1060=value said:

facepalm* what university again?

University of Cincinnati. So big and public. At least for my area. 

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

3 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

b75m.png

you can point at any major component on pretty much any mobo and i can tell you what it does.

and that's because i had an actually acceptable teacher, instead of something that decided they needed even more useless steps than carey freaking holzeman to install a stock intel heatsink.

1 minute ago, VinsinityKT said:

University of Cincinnati. So big and public. At least for my area. 

that's like a tier 2 or 3 univesity, not bad, shouldn't be teaching computer engineering courses if he's majoring in computer science

My bad habit is flirting with the wife while handling sensitive electronics among other things...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, gtx1060=value said:

that's like a tier 2 or 3 univesity, not bad, shouldn't be teaching computer engineering courses if he's majoring in computer science

He is in IT.

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

Why was he spreading the paste with his fingers? He has contaminated the paste with his body's oils. As far as the previous stuff goes, it's not really that big of a deal. The stock paste would've been fine, but if he wants to use better stuff, why not?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

4 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Why was he spreading the paste with his fingers? He has contaminated the paste with his body's oils. As far as the previous stuff goes, it's not really that big of a deal. The stock paste would've been fine, but if he wants to use better stuff, why not?

I figured it out from him. Most of it was from this video that they showed during class. 

And the whole spreading with his finger part, well he went off memory and didn't know anything about the oils.

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

GeForce GTX 980M 4G