Mac options  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which Apple Option??

• Buy 2007 Macbook Pro parts
    • Buy a Mac Pro Tower
    • Try for the Hackintosh AGAAIN
    • Screw it and don't waste your time

Hello!

For the past couple of years I've been dying for an OS X computer. I have always loved the way the os has looked recently and have tried to get one for a while.

At this point idk what I should do and I'm not too knowledgeable with apple products yet so I need help in my decision process!

Here are my options:

My friend gave me an old 2007 Mac Book Pro A226 (I think) but it won't charge and I did not receive the power cable. I could attempt to replace the left logic board to potentially fix this issue but I've

seen lately that this computer is VERY unreliable.

Option number 2 is to purchase a Mac Pro Tower on Ebay which would come with two Xeon CPUS A1186 at 2.66 GHz, 4Gb RAM and a 7300GT Nvidia GPU (Could potentially replace with a 1050/1050ti)

OR I can attempt yet another Hackintosh which I hate because I have no idea what I'm doing even when I look at forums. (Apple still hasn't supported the goddamn RX 480 yet)

Or I could try to use a HP Pavilion Dm4t 2100 to run OS X. Anyone know if that would work??

And yes I know ya'll do not allow for pirated crud but I'm not asking about how to do it or any further info about it. Please consider it.

1 minute ago, joshfrog said:

what do you want to use it for? just to have an apply computer?

I'd use it for web browsing, youtube, music, mild video editing if I HAD to, and light gaming. I wouldn't expect too much performance especially from the Laptop.

1 minute ago, joshfrog said:

ok and when you say mac pro tower are you talking the really old big mac pro towers or the newer trach cans?

The old big towers

well for video stuff you may be better off with a tower but it depends on the tower but for just web stuff its total overkill i guess it would depend on how much use you think you would get out of a tower plus it will be hard to find a good one given there age,

but at the same point if your mac probs not working it might cost to much to fix it and also not be worth it

if you have the money you could look at a cheap windows laptop would work better but you wouldnt be on the mac platform. you would always check out https://elementary.io/ its made to look like mac but its linux but you wont be able to use adobe or most video editing software.

id say i hope that helps but i dont think it will much 

how much money do you have to spend maybe you can get a 2nd hand newer mac from apple them self but it would depend on how much you would be willing to spend

12 minutes ago, The11thDoctor28 said:

Looks good, if you want more perf its easy to chuck a quad core in there and a ton of ram cheap. 

Also its hot.

i work for a video company and we use imacs we just got brand new top of the line imacs but before that we had a mix of 2007-2010 imacs and even in a desktop format they werent good for video editing the footage we were dealing with and we have 2 mac pro towers 1 is basicly dead it has so many problems we pulled it and the other is just hanging on we only have the 2nd mac pro for final cut its hadly used anymore for video editing but there still overkill for just web. 

So what do you guys suggest? Buy the Mac Pro? And I will have more money to use if I wanted to purchase a decent GPU for it. I just don't know if what I'll be spending would be worth it or not..