Chrome Remote Desktop... LATENCY!

I got a new tablet and I was hoping to use it to control my windows 10 computer when I'm downstairs, but the latency is just awful, I struggled to get it to work at first, but I literally had to change some of Chrome's settings on the computer to make it usable by touch inputs from the tablet. 

But I can't seem to ascertain if it's the limitations of the tablet or just wi-fi latency or a mixture of the two? It's ranges from adequate to almost unusable at times... I know this is a first world problem, but I wish tech just worked sometimes.

/me sacrifices a printer to the tech gods for good luck.

You could just use Teamviewer I use to use it at school to management from my pc

Just now, tp95112 said:

You could just use Teamviewer I use to use it at school to management from my pc

Is it any different? Latency wise?

1 minute ago, SpartanAmy107 said:

Iv never used chrome remote desktop. I have used Chromecast to cast chrome to my tv and there is a huge lag compared to Teamview

3 minutes ago, SpartanAmy107 said:

Teamviewer's latency isn't too bad. You could try using steam in home streaming which works great, but you probably can't on your tablet.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

Just now, tp95112 said:

Iv never used chrome remote desktop. I have used Chromecast to cast chrome to my tv and there is a huge lag compared to Teamview

Okay I'll try it, and see if there is a difference.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If it connects to your computer via the internet, regardless if the computers are on the same network, it can have bad lag. TeamViewer as far as I know connects through the internet.

The only one I know of that's popular enough and works over LAN is VNC.

You can set team viewer to use your home network

4 minutes ago, tp95112 said:

Though their wording has me wondering: https://www.teamviewer.com/en/help/40-can-teamviewer-be-used-within-a-local-network-lan-only

To activate the LAN mode in TeamViewer full version (<- ????) and Host module:

1. In the menu click on Extras and then on Options
  2. On the General tab activate Accept incoming LAN connections

Any remote desktop system will have some lag, sometimes a lot.  How much depends on the algorithm and your connection speed.  Chrome Remote Desktop is one of the fastest I've seen (aside from things like nvidia gamestream and steam in home streaming of course)

6 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If it connects to your computer via the internet, regardless if the computers are on the same network, it can have bad lag. TeamViewer as far as I know connects through the internet.

The only one I know of that's popular enough and works over LAN is VNC.

Chrome Remote Desktop is special in that it uses the "best" network available, yet lets you connect to your PC from anywhere in the world over the internet without doing any port forwarding, etc.  The Google servers help your two PCs shake hands, and then they step out and let them talk directly to each other.  I successfully used Chrome remote desktop to connect two PCs in my house, then took one of them offline (off the internet but still on the LAN) and it continued to work, thus proving this claim.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

7 minutes ago, tp95112 said:

Maybe... but if anything this is even worse than CRD, it keeps dropping the connection and reacquiring it. :\

So taking all this...

It's probably the way OP is connecting their devices to the network. Using WiFi is spottier than using Ethernet. When I switched my desktop and Mac from using 802.11ac WiFi to Ethernet, using a remote tool was much better. It was damn near real-time.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

So taking all this...

It's probably the way OP is connecting their devices to the network. Using WiFi is spottier than using Ethernet. When I switched my desktop and Mac from using 802.11ac WiFi to Ethernet, using a remote tool was much better. It was damn near real-time.

How would I connect my tablet via ethernet?

Haha! Had no idea such a thing existed, but that would be even worse than having to carry my computer downstairs. knew I should have just replaced my ancient laptop instead of going tablet. -_-

Actually you should make sure your tablet supports USB OTG Ethernet. http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/53443/how-to-use-an-usb-attached-wired-ethernet-adapter-through-usb-otg-on-an-android is a thread that might be useful to you.

I'm not going to do that with my tablet, seems like a good option if you plan to stay in one room... 

What we need is an increase in demand for Zero Client/Slim Client devices to drive costs down, that'd be an ideal solution.

2 minutes ago, SpartanAmy107 said:

I'm not going to do that with my tablet, seems like a good option if you plan to stay in one room... 

What we need is an increase in demand for Zero Client/Slim Client devices to drive costs down, that'd be an ideal solution.

Well Chromebooks and those cheap $200 laptops fulfill that role, more or less. You're not expected to do anything heavy on them, instead you're supposed to just access the internet and do everything on the cloud.