What is a good overclock for my ram?

Overclock ram to?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Overclock ram to?

• anything higher than 2666mhz but lower than 3000mhz
    • anything between 2800mhz to 3200mhz should be fine
    • don't overclock your ram

I have corsair vengeance 2666mhz ram on a z170 motherboard, was wondering what the safest overclock is? I am fairly new to all this so any help would be appreciated, thanks :)

CPU: i7-6700K | Motherboard: MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4-2666 Memory

Solid State Drives: Two PNY 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drives | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition

PSU: Thermaltake Smart 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply | Case: Thermaltake Core V71 ATX Full Tower Case.

PCPartPicker

The question is why? 

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

The question is why? 

I feel like overclocking my ram that is the only reason. I don't have a specific reason, I just want to overclock ram.

CPU: i7-6700K | Motherboard: MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4-2666 Memory

Solid State Drives: Two PNY 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drives | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition

PSU: Thermaltake Smart 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply | Case: Thermaltake Core V71 ATX Full Tower Case.

PCPartPicker

RAM is usually pretty highly binned. If you have 2666 rated ram, that's probably all you are going to get. If it reached 2800 reliably it would have been sold as 2800.

No substantial benefit from overclocking ram

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

1 minute ago, Rune said:

RAM is usually pretty highly binned. If you have 2666 rated ram, that's probably all you are going to get. If it reached 2800 reliably it would have been sold as 2800.

It is listed under the stores page that it can be overclocked.

PCPartPicker

1 minute ago, revsilverspine said:

No substantial benefit from overclocking ram

I realize this, as i stated I just wanted to know if i could.

PCPartPicker

Really not worth throwing stability away for 1-2fps boost. 2666mhz is the sweet spot for DDR4. 

Where is the pc master race spirit here?

Overclocking just for the sake of overclocking! Hell yeah!

Just see how far you can push it running some stress tests. As Rune said, you probably won't be able to push it much beyond advertised speeds but why not? There's no danger in it, unless you apply stupid amounts of volts to it.

Also note, in some configurations running the RAM at certain speeds can have a slight effect on CPU clocks (pushing it slightly higher or lower), so keep an eye on that.

Does you mum know you're here?

14 minutes ago, Joseph Hartness said:

It is listed under the stores page that it can be overclocked.

The reason it says that you can overclock this RAM is because Skylake only supports DDR4 @ 2133MHz  without OC. You should activate XMP in BIOS/UEFI to get the most out of your RAM 

Desktop Rig:

CPU: i7-6700K  Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65  Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FE  Memory: Corsair VENGEANCE LED 3200Mhz (2x8GB)

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270i  SSD: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB, Samsung PM981 1TB  Case: Louqe Ghost S1

Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3418DW

7 minutes ago, VVoltor said:

Where is the pc master race spirit here?

Just see how far you can push it running some stress tests. As Rune said, you probably won't be able to push it much beyond advertised speeds but why not? There's no danger in it, unless you apply stupid amounts of volts to it.

Also note, in some configurations running the RAM at certain speeds can have a slight effect on CPU clocks (pushing it slightly higher or lower), so keep an eye on that.

Overclocking ram is such a low return tho lol. Although 2666mhz ram should be able to hit 2800 minimum. 

5 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

The question is why? 

Because of significant improvements to gaming performance in CPU-bound scenarios.

7 hours ago, VVoltor said:

In my opinion, that's the only right reason to overclock any component. Lots of us overclock our CPUs to a razor's edge of stability and then play mostly GPU-bound games. If you're not doing it primarily for the fun of overclocking, you probably shouldn't be doing it.

@Joseph Hartness You'll have to find the limits of your own hardware, but I can give you my RAM overclocking newbie experience: My Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 went to 3200 MHz and is stable with about 1.32 V, which more or less matches the specifications of retail Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200. I didn't mess with timings and I didn't try to push the overclock much further than that, as I was already pleased with the results. 3000–3200 MHz seems to be where the biggest performances gains are in most benchmarks, anyway.

Retail DDR4 comes at up to 1.35 V and that's within Skylake/Kaby Lake specs, so at least until that point I don't think it's an issue of "safety" per se. Your kit is probably 1.2 V by default, so if you bump the DRAM voltage up to 1.3–1.35 V, you'll probably get something out of it.

If you mean turning on the XMP profile (or entering that data manually) to hit the speeds the ram is advertised at then yeah, you should generally do that. Although you might have to tweak things to get it stable depending on your specific situation.

If you mean trying to go beyond the RAM's rated speeds then 1) RAM is generally binned very aggressively and it is thus incredibly rare that you find a sample that can do noticeably better than advertised unless you are buying the highest end RAM in that manufacturing line, 2) getting a RAM OC stable when going beyond rated spec can be incredibly tedious., 3) it generally offers relatively little return for the amount of time and effort required.