Making My Own PC Case

Orangeator
11 minutes ago, infinitymdm said:

I think what you are getting at is the problem of the GPU blocking the CPU heatsink. Which is certainly an important problem, and might be solved by using a GPU riser, or simply a taller CPU cooler. Do you think we could figure out a way to effectively solve this problem? 

yes, i'm actually in SketchUp right now trying to figure out what could be done

Edit: apparently my work computer doesn't like SketchUp so i might have to use Visio or just wait till i get home.

Edited by Archeval
Sketchup not loading

3 hours ago, Archeval said:

yes, i'm actually in SketchUp right now trying to figure out what could be done

Edit: apparently my work computer doesn't like SketchUp so i might have to use Visio or just wait till i get home.

Does SketchUp simulate airflow physics? I've used it in the past, but I don't remember it having that capability. 

Quote me if you want me to reply.

i don't think it does, i was just using it to get a visual idea of what the case should look like to make it work

10 minutes ago, Archeval said:

i don't think it does, i was just using it to get a visual idea of what the case should look like to make it work

Oh, okay. That makes sense. 

In related news, I've done some research and found out that my program of choice, Autodesk Inventor, does have an airflow simulation feature. So I may do some work there and see what I can come up with. @Archeval, if you get finished with a model before I do, upload the file here and I will run it through some testing. (Don't worry, autodesk is pretty good about working with other file types.) 

39 minutes ago, infinitymdm said:

In related news, I've done some research and found out that my program of choice, Autodesk Inventor, does have an airflow simulation feature. So I may do some work there and see what I can come up with. @Archeval, if you get finished with a model before I do, upload the file here and I will run it through some testing. (Don't worry, autodesk is pretty good about working with other file types.) 

alright

@Orangeator, you may find this helpful for mobo standoff placement when you finalize your design: 

http://www.formfactors.org/developer\specs\atx2_2.PDF

I believe you will be most interested in pages 9 and 10.

Edit: Also, this document (pg 33) for PSU dimensions:

http://formfactors.org/developer\specs\ATX12V_PSDG_2_2_public_br2.pdf

39 minutes ago, infinitymdm said:

@Orangeator, you may find this helpful for mobo standoff placement when you finalize your design: 

http://www.formfactors.org/developer\specs\atx2_2.PDF

I believe you will be most interested in pages 9 and 10.

Thanks so much guys! I have been looking over other designs and ways to do this, there is a lot of planning involved but I am sure the final product would be worth it! I would love to see your guys idea's of way to implement the cooling. 

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

ok here's the basic design i was thinking, no drive bays or cable management but it's the concept, it's also my first real sketchup attempt

case.skp

22 hours ago, Archeval said:

ok here's the basic design i was thinking, no drive bays or cable management but it's the concept, it's also my first real sketchup attempt

case.skp

Great! I'll check this out this afternoon and see what airflow results I can get. 

Edit: I didn't get a chance to work on this today, and it doesn't look like I'll get a chance to until the weekend. I may get a chance to check it out for a short time tomorrow, but we will see. 

On 1/24/2017 at 6:20 PM, infinitymdm said:

Don't worry, autodesk is pretty good about working with other file types.

It seems that .skp is one of the very few file types not supported by Inventor. @Archeval, could you export it to .stl and send it to me again? I should have specified a universal file type to begin with. My bad.

I'm having a bit of trouble getting the software to do what I want it to. I think I may have to take the case and do the airflow tests slice by slice, and it still won't be accurate; I can't simulate the force the fans would exert on the air. So we may just have to wait for actual testing. I'll keep trying for now.