TN or IPS

Abraham  Eldho kunnath

TN screens have less "good looking" colors, but are able to get higher refresh-rates. IPS has nicer colors, but mostly only 60 hz referesh-rate.

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

If you prefer ultra low display lag, you'll like TN panels. I personally find it hard to believe someone can differentiate between 1ms response and 6ms response from something like an IPS panel.

If you don't care about the response time, IPS is the way to go. As with every monitor though, how good it'll look will differ from monitor to monitor - even TN panels can be color accurate and have good contrast.

I have 2 TN panels and I honestly don't see the reason for why you would look at it from a side angle (maybe other people, but do we really have other people watching?). TN monitors are cheaper, and they run faster, than a similar price IPS. IPS would be great for people who do a lot of picture/video editing, and who like to have the best quality of the image. But I haven't seen a true comparison of the two side by side with my own eyes in real life (I've seen comparisons on YouTube). If you don't care about budget and want a good monitor, I would personally get a TN Panel with g-sync/freesync, and it has good specs. 

9 minutes ago, Glennieboyyy007 said:

TN screens have less "good looking" colors, but are able to get higher refresh-rates. IPS has nicer colors, but mostly only 60 hz referesh-rate.

Exactly this though IPS offerings in 75hz are becoming quite common nowadays, though if you need 144hz you'll have to look for a TN indeed.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

14 minutes ago, Glennieboyyy007 said:

Yes, there are up to 165Hz IPS panels mate. TN panels have better response times.

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

i've used a variety of both side by side, and the answer to your question is "no, they dont really bad" ;)

mind that there's exceptions to what i'm about to say, but it should apply to the majority of screens:

the colors on IPS are superior, they're not even in the same realm. but i noticed that a lot of games (especially the darker ones) seem to be "adjusted" for the rather mediocre darks on TN, where they still display *something* rather than the endless blackness some of them are on IPS. on the flipside in games with a lot of "nature" and sights to be seen, everything looks MUCH better on IPS.

viewing angles (especially vertical, dont turn TN 90° and expect not to put your head in a vice) are a joke on TN, where on IPS they usually are as good as it's gonna get. i also found that when going towards 1440p and potentially higher resolutions, the price gap between TN and IPS slims down, especially when looking for monitors that have an acceptable monitor stand.

i dont care much for refresh rates beyond 60, but if you're that kind of person, "historically" TN is the way to go, but the IPS market is quickly catching up in that regard (expect to pay decent for these things tho :P)

6 minutes ago, RoboTechnal said:

I have 2 TN panels and I honestly don't see the reason for why you would look at it from a side angle (maybe other people, but do we really have other people watching?). TN monitors are cheaper, and they run faster, than a similar price IPS. IPS would be great for people who do a lot of picture/video editing, and who like to have the best quality of the image. But I haven't seen a true comparison of the two side by side with my own eyes in real life (I've seen comparisons on YouTube). If you don't care about budget and want a good monitor, I would personally get a TN Panel with g-sync/freesync, and it has good specs. 

i have a TN panel, but if we compare it to something really different, my samsung galaxy tab S2 with super Amoled, then the color difference is really massive. it is so massive that if really influences the whole experience. i watch youtube only on my tablet because the nice colors make the whole picture look way nicer.

and the battle between TN and IPS continues, it is mostly an oppinion battle. some people want high refresh-rates, others want a good looking picture. it really depends on what you want.

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

4 minutes ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

Yes, there are up to 165Hz IPS panels mate. TN panels have better response times.

well, you are right, i saw just now. but, they do cost a lot more, most of the time. i guess that the 100+HZ IPS screens are coming more available and hopefully more affordable (in my county most are still very expensive and there are only 9 100+HZ available)

2 minutes ago, Glennieboyyy007 said:

well, you are right, i saw just now. but, they do cost a lot more, most of the time. i guess that the 100+HZ IPS screens are coming more available and hopefully more affordable (in my county most are still very expensive and there are only 9 100+HZ available)

TN panels are even more expensive compared to equivalent IPS ones ;) 

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

2 minutes ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

not in my country. i guess in yours it does. so you are right

1 minute ago, Glennieboyyy007 said:

not in my country. i guess in yours it does. so you are right

Guess so.

35 minutes ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

I don't think it is like this for Europeans (I live in Sweden) it costs a minimum of 100 euros more (I am guessing).

Where do you live?

PC  Specs 2022:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen R9 5900x @ 5.1GHz - Auto OC
  • Curve Optimizer Magnitude: -20
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX x570-F Gaming
  • RAM
                                        Kingston Fury 32GB DDR4 3200MHz 16x2GB
  • GPU
    MSI 3070 8GB Ventus 2x OC
  • Case
    LIAN LI LANCOOL MESH II Mesh RGB Black
  • Storage
    Kingston NV1 2TB M.2. NVMe
  • PSU
    Seasonic Focus GX 850w 
  • Display(s)
    MSI OPTIX MAG 251RX IPS 240hz & ASUS MG248Q Vertical 144hz & Dell 60hz
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken x73 360mm
  • Keyboard
    Tt eSports Meka G1
  • Mouse
    Logitech G Pro Wireless
  • Operating System
    -Windows 10 Professional 64bit

1 minute ago, c0d0ps said:

I don't think it is like this for Europeans (I live in Sweden) it costs a minimum of 100 euros more (I am guessing).

Where do you live?

South Africa.

2 hours ago, Abraham Eldho kunnath said:

Does TN screen really bad  to play games on?

Short answer: no, generally it's the opposite.

Long answer: there are multiple factors involved but here are the basics...

TN:

- Fastest panels (high refresh rate, low response time)

- Little or no input lag on most models

- Mediocre to average colors

- No real issue with glow or back-light bleed

IPS:

- Slower panels (very few 120hz+ refresh rate, very few under 6ms response time)

- Moderate to severe input lag on many models, very few with little or no input lag

- Good to excellent colors

- Moderate panel glow, chance of back-light bleed, IPS "sparkle"

What really matters for gaming:

- 120hz+ refresh rate

- 4ms or lower response time (GTG)

- little or no input lag

- ULMB (lightboost) to remove motion blur from frame persistence

If you can get all those things on an IPS like the Asus PG279Q (or the FreeSync version) then you're getting the best of both worlds for the minor trade-off of a little IPS glow.  Otherwise, if you are compromising on the features I list above a TN panel is better for gaming.  Trust me, having input lag and/or a 60hz refresh rate is NOT worth getting "better" colors.  If you want decent colors buy a calibrator and calibrate your monitor, a calibrated TN is a pretty big improvement over out of the box.

2 hours ago, Glennieboyyy007 said:

i have a TN panel, but if we compare it to something really different, my samsung galaxy tab S2 with super Amoled, then the color difference is really massive. it is so massive that if really influences the whole experience. i watch youtube only on my tablet because the nice colors make the whole picture look way nicer.

and the battle between TN and IPS continues, it is mostly an oppinion battle. some people want high refresh-rates, others want a good looking picture. it really depends on what you want.

What you're talking about is saturation and vibrancy, you like the look of your tablet because it's a glossy screen with what is probably overly bright and overly saturated colors.  A matte finish (which is sadly most monitor's these days) cuts down on the clarity and vibrancy of a monitor.  I have a 27" 1440p IPS with a glossy screen and a 24" TN with a glossy screen and calibrated they aren't *that* much different.  I also have a 27" IPS with a matte screen and the TN panel is better for clarity and color vibrancy.  The IPS is still more "accurate" but most people don't want accurate, they want vibrant.

edit: and this is why I hate the TN vs IPS debate, because people are judging things based on the wrong criteria in many cases and aren't considering the more relevant factors to "experience" like what I mentioned in my previous post.  Also, can we please get a movement going to bring back glossy panels?  They look better and most people aren't in environments where they *NEED* a matte finish.  This is just like the plasma vs LCD thing where the better picture was less popular and ultimately "lost" despite the fact that the technology was FAR superior in virtually every measurable way.