The "Protocase" rackmount case of your dreams

Hey guys, this is my first post/topic in the LTT Forum. (Thus I hope I am posting this in the right thread).

If you could customize your own rackmount case for free, what kind of a case would you have designed? (size in units, focus in terms of cooling ->performance vs. silence etc.)

I came up with this particular topic after bingewatching some LTT videos, and came across the "Personal Rig Update" series for Linus's customcase by Protocase (the one designed by Taran, which can be downloaded as a cad file on protocase's website btw), and am genunely curious how you envision your ideal rackmount case and what it would be used for primarily.
Many would probably go for a watercoolingcompatible case as Linus did, but I have never been particularly fond of aforementioned cooling option.

Purpose:

Studio (Sound- and Videoengineering, Editing, Encoding etc. -> connection to various rackmounted studioequipment) & Gaming

Cooling:

Mine would be completely aircooled (all 140mm fans and the dh15 cpu cooler by Noctua),

Height/ Dimensions:

At least 6U, so i could install up to 6 fans in the front and the back on low RPM.

Design (& Sounddampening):

I think I would try to imitate Fractal Design R5's design (my favourite case), including the front design with all the noise dampening both inside the case and the front door, with the same side-swappable mounting capabilities for the latter. I would also apply dustfilters to all fan-cutouts. (No windows/ glass). I doubt that anoise level of <27 dB can be achieved with this many fans, but that's still tolerable for me.

Cool thread! Wanna hear from more people on the rackmount case of their dreams. B|

I would take a 2U that uses a standard ATX powersupply, mini-itx motherboard, and have 8 drivebays.  I am sure it is already out there and I keep looking but I don't want to spend the money they are asking.  I want sub $100-150.

I would really like to see a well-designed rack, which I can put in my apartment and it won't looks like piece of enterprise equipment. May be 2x19(21)" wide and put a TV on top. With tempered glass doors. :)

I'd really like to have some "rackable" equipment, but it will look like crap in nice apartment.

I know about Ikea stand, but I'd like something a bit more strudy.

I would really like to see a well-designed rack, which I can put in my apartment and it won't looks like piece of enterprise equipment. May be 2x19(21)" wide and put a TV on top. With tempered glass doors. :)

I'd really like to have some "rackable" equipment, but it will look like crap in nice apartment.

I know about Ikea stand, but I'd like something a bit more strudy

Hey TLN, I have seen several plans online that incorporate a rack into IKEA furniture.  I used the plans that use 2x4 for the frame and then covers the rack  and 2x4's with plywood.  I used cherry veneer plywood and solid cherry trim for the edge banding and door and you would never guess it is a server rack.  It sits next to my home theater screen.

Link to DIY Rack Plans

23 hours ago, silverbeagle said:

Hey TLN, I have seen several plans online that incorporate a rack into IKEA furniture.  I used the plans that use 2x4 for the frame and then covers the rack  and 2x4's with plywood.  I used cherry veneer plywood and solid cherry trim for the edge banding and door and you would never guess it is a server rack.  It sits next to my home theater screen.

Link to DIY Rack Plans

Link is incorrect, but I really tempted to see the result.

For now, I think you can put stuff vertically, 2x4U. This will make nice TV stand, I think. Pretty easy to do cooling as well. PIA to work on that though.