Laptop for CAD student

Akadis

My Friend wants a PC for his school.

Usage:

• mainly school (CAD programs, Office, ....)

Important Specs:

• good battery 4-5hours + 
  • good display (at least FullHD an 15 inch or bigger)

He would like a small overview on what he could expect at what prize.

So I am looking for something at the following Prizes:

• 500€
  • 750€
  • 1000€
  • 1200€

At the 1000€ one I would have recommended an Lenovo Y700 but i am open for other suggestions.

Thanks

if he wants to totally cheap out he could just get a chromebook which I am using to write this. It depends on what he wants to do on it. 

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

if he wants something for CAD keep an eye out for laptops that have quad core i7 cpus and discrete graphics something like a 1060. im not sure about the prices in euro but look at the dell xps 15 or there cheaper inspiron line. the main thing to focus on is the cpu and gpu because CAD will run so much better on that sort of hardware.

I wouldn't touch a Lenovo gaming computer if it was given to me for free.  An acquaintance of mine had a Y-80 that didn't last more than a week without something going faulty.  The customer support was awful and took months.  Now I know you might laugh but, Alienware 15 R2? At 1,000$, roughly, this isn't a bad price whatsoever.  I have one with a 980m and 2 (256 GB)NVMe drives that I threw in, chugs along like a dream.  There are ways to unlock the bios and you can OC the GPU.  I OC'd mine and put a pretty substantial boost on the Clock and the VRAM

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

1 hour ago, Bigbootyjudy said:

1 hour ago, joshfrog said:

51 minutes ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

Chromebook is not an option because he needs windows and i can't imagine that any CAD program can run on it well or am i wrong there?

The other to are 1000€ + any idea on something at around 500 and 750?

How about something like the Acer aspire E15 maybe?

1 minute ago, Akadis said:

Chromebook is not an option because he needs windows and i can't imagine that any CAD program can run on it well or am i wrong there?

The other to are 1000€ + any idea on something at around 500 and 750?

How about something like the Acer aspire E15 maybe?

Ya oops I should have read the post better

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

If your friend is both a CAD student and Gamer, I would recommend lenovo products, as they're much more durable (from my experience) for the various price points:

• 500 - Lenovo Flex 4 - I personally have a Flex laptop, and before I bought it I didn't think I would use the touchscreen that often, but for precision control, or where you have to gesture smoothly without using a tablet, the touchscreen is a godsend. While it isn't all that powerful, it's perfect for any student.
  • 750-1000 - Lenovo ThinkPad X260 - A good bang for the buck. While there is no dedicated graphics card, it can handle most recent games, and multiple processes running simultaneously. It remains leightweight enough for a student to move around.
  • 1200 - Lenovo ThinkPad P50 Workstation is an absolute beast when it comes to CAD and resource-intensive processes. I would recommend this to anyone who is doing some serious work, as it's cut out for almost everything you can throw at it.

If there's a tight restriction on the budget, I would also recommend looking for open box deals and used laptops. You may be able to find a great deal for a laptop which has hardly been used before.

1 hour ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

I wouldn't touch a Lenovo gaming computer if it was given to me for free.  An acquaintance of mine had a Y-80 that didn't last more than a week without something going faulty.  The customer support was awful and took months.  Now I know you might laugh but, Alienware 15 R2? At 1,000$, roughly, this isn't a bad price whatsoever.  I have one with a 980m and 2 (256 GB)NVMe drives that I threw in, chugs along like a dream.  There are ways to unlock the bios and you can OC the GPU.  I OC'd mine and put a pretty substantial boost on the Clock and the VRAM

I've never had an issue with Lenovo (with their hardware or customer support) at all, and I have to say, I would choose them over HP or Dell any day.

1 minute ago, Mooshe said:

Also have a Lenovo and works pretty well

I would ad yours to my list i just wrot mind to go over if they would also suit to what he wants?

1500€ - Dell XPS 15 - Link

1200 - Lenovo ThinkPad P50 Workstation - Link

1000€ - Lenovo ideapad 700 (256GB SSD, 16GB RAM) - Link

~900€ - ThinkPad x260 - Link

800€ - Lenovo ThinkPad E560 - Link

690€ - Acer Aspire E 15 - Link

600€ - Lenovo ideapad 500 - Link

500 - Lenovo Flex 4 -  Link

Any suggestions on what to avoid? if not so i would send him that list so he can decide on his budget

@don_svetlio @Dackzy

18 minutes ago, Mooshe said:

If your friend is both a CAD student and Gamer, I would recommend lenovo products, as they're much more durable (from my experience) for the various price points:

• 500 - Lenovo Flex 4 - I personally have a Flex laptop, and before I bought it I didn't think I would use the touchscreen that often, but for precision control, or where you have to gesture smoothly without using a tablet, the touchscreen is a godsend. While it isn't all that powerful, it's perfect for any student.
  • 750-1000 - Lenovo ThinkPad X260 - A good bang for the buck. While there is no dedicated graphics card, it can handle most recent games, and multiple processes running simultaneously. It remains leightweight enough for a student to move around.
  • 1200 - Lenovo ThinkPad P50 Workstation is an absolute beast when it comes to CAD and resource-intensive processes. I would recommend this to anyone who is doing some serious work, as it's cut out for almost everything you can throw at it.

If there's a tight restriction on the budget, I would also recommend looking for open box deals and used laptops. You may be able to find a great deal for a laptop which has hardly been used before.

I've never had an issue with Lenovo (with their hardware or customer support) at all, and I have to say, I would choose them over HP or Dell any day.

They sent a replacement model that broke shortly because of "Poor QC" and "Lower quality components" that they now use.  These are direct quotes from the Tech support.  They even sent a different model that he requested and he's dissastisified with it even now.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

11 minutes ago, Akadis said:

Also have a Lenovo and works pretty well

I would ad yours to my list i just wrot mind to go over if they would also suit to what he wants?

1500€ - Dell XPS 15 - Link

1200 - Lenovo ThinkPad P50 Workstation - Link

1000€ - Lenovo ideapad 700 (256GB SSD, 16GB RAM) - Link

~900€ - ThinkPad x260 - Link

800€ - Lenovo ThinkPad E560 - Link

690€ - Acer Aspire E 15 - Link

600€ - Lenovo ideapad 500 - Link

500 - Lenovo Flex 4 -  Link

Any suggestions on what to avoid? if not so i would send him that list so he can decide on his budget

@don_svetlio @Dackzy

Avoid acer, if he can get a P50, then get a P50, it is the most powerful one of them all and the best build

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.