Freesync monitor with Nvidia GPU, really that big a deal?

Unclescar

I'm currently on Nvidia and a few year old 1440p Dell screen, so I've not experienced Gsync, though I also haven't had an AMD card since I switched to an Nvidia card many years ago, so I haven't had experience with freesync either.
I no longer live near a microcenter and there aren't really any tech stores nearby aside from best buy, which is unfortunate.

I have a very big computer upgrade workstation build planned for the year (I've yet decided on parts) and I'm looking for some thoughts on main screens. My current main screen will be rotated 90 degrees and used as a vertical secondary monitor. My more professional work is DAW related, in which case multiple screens and more screen real estate is a huge plus, and my wife and I both do some mild hobby-quality photo and video editing. as I mentioned, my current screen is 1440p, at 27" is that ~110 ppi "sweetspot" and I actually really like it, though I am very confident that an ultrawide would be a very good fit for my main screen as with many DAWs horizontal space is prime real estate. There is some casual non-overly-competitive gaming as well, but 4K isn't really that enticing.

There are some great 1440p ultrawide "gaming" screens with Gsync or freesync, and there are also some fantastic 1440p ultrawides with neither. I'm looking at LG's 34UC98 and LG's 38UC99 though, and they both have freesync. If I was planning on using an Nvidia card, I know I wouldn't be able to make use of freesync, I'd have to switch to a Vega card.. I'm just stuck. So many good things coming out, and so many fantastic choices, but they don't seem to line up in the way that I'd like to spend the money on.

what Nvidia card do you have? If Vega ends up being good to you, then you can sell your card. that's one way to go about this if you want to use freesync. 

while it's not a total waste that you cannot use freesync, it's always nice to take advantage of if your performance isn't up to snuff in certain games

From what you described your work needs seem to be bigger than your gaming needs, so I would go with a setup and especially a monitor that reflects that need. with that being said and owning a 1440p ultra wide myself I strongly recommend one. If you want g-sync or freesync is up to you of course and should be dictated by your choice of GPU. From what I understand you don't have a new GPU yet so it's not to late to decide on that. 

I would go with a 3440x1440 curved ultra wide at 34'' like the Acer Predator / Asus PG348Q. Of course they don't come cheap and are more gaming oriented but are worth every penny in my mind. Corresponding non curved models (which I don't recommend) come a bit cheaper if that ain't your thing.

LGs 34UM95 is a great choice non curved wise, no idea what they did but that panel is awsome.

And to answer your question in the title: Yes it is a very big deal.

All i can say is, i never want miss Gsync again. I switch from no Sync Tech to this and its like Night and Day.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO