Need new modem and im scared!

rparent

getting 100mb down 10mb up connection from Comcast. I don't want to buy there monthly modem combo. I game and stream Netflix. whats the best modem I should buy?

case: corsair carbide air 540 motherboard: asus maximus V formula assassin  cpu: intel i7 3770k 3.5ghz cooling: corsair h100  psu: corsair gold ax750w  gpu: amd radeon 7950 3gb  ram: 8gb g.skill sniper  drives: 120gb Samsung 840 ssd, 2tb western digital black

1 minute ago, rparent said:

getting 100mb down 10mb up connection from Comcast. I don't want to buy there monthly modem combo. I game and stream Netflix. whats the best modem I should buy?

https://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SB6141-DOCSIS-Cable/dp/B00YUU5628

Remember that with a modem, you also need a router.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Archer-C7-Wireless-Gigabit/dp/B00BUSDVBQ

My native language is C++

This one is pretty good. I assume you have a DSL hookup? This thing is rock solid, and can do up to 343 mbit, so it'll be useful for a while.

1 minute ago, EthanCGamer said:

This one is pretty good. I assume you have a DSL hookup? This thing is rock solid, and can do up to 343 mbit, so it'll be useful for a while.

Definitely not DSL service lol

case: corsair carbide air 540 motherboard: asus maximus V formula assassin  cpu: intel i7 3770k 3.5ghz cooling: corsair h100  psu: corsair gold ax750w  gpu: amd radeon 7950 3gb  ram: 8gb g.skill sniper  drives: 120gb Samsung 840 ssd, 2tb western digital black

2 minutes ago, tt2468 said:

Definitely not DSL service lol

Ah crap, guess I need to return that Net+ Certification. I meant to say RG-6 input

This one has a router built in, so you only need to buy that.

Just now, tt2468 said:

Well that one has a router built in, but the built in router in that is pretty crappy.

I'd get this router. I use it, it works pretty good.

all my gaming will be done on a wired connection, only going to need to use the wifi for phones and streaming netflix

Just now, EthanCGamer said:

I'd get this router. I use it, it works pretty good.

That one works too. Although I have had some pretty bad experiences using netgear routers in high-noise environments. (Like apartments)

1 minute ago, tt2468 said:

That one works too. Although I have had some pretty bad experiences using netgear routers in high-noise environments. (Like apartments)

I have the opposite experience. I live in a dorm where everyone has their own routers, and I get great reception. I'll attach a picture.

wifi.png

is having a separate modem / router better? if now ill go with the first one

is having a separate modem / router better? if now ill go with the first one

Yes, usually modems with wifi built in are horrible, they constantly drop connection and have insane latency.

even if I'm plugged right into it? and not gaming on wifi?

4 minutes ago, rparent said:

even if I'm plugged right into it? and not gaming on wifi?

Yes. If you look at it from a manufacturing perspective, you see a single box that does what two seperate boxes do, but it has to be the same size as a regular modem or router. So, they cut corners by using low power chips and transmitters, and the chips are doing double the work (like ram being used for both the modem and router chip at the same time). Plus, the modem has tons of electrical noise in it, so your wifi will send corrupted packets occasionally.

Even though you game plugged in, the wifi router is still stealing resources from the modem, so your modem will suffer, too.

The bundle I linked is a pretty good deal, I've used both in really electrically noisy areas before, and I get great ping as well as the speeds I am promised by my dorm.

I have an SB6141 and its been rock solid for 2 years and its still trucking. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.