Celeron CPU?

Hello There! I wanted to ask you guys if you had any experience with a laptop with a celeron type CPU in it. Are you able to use internet, watch videos and type up reports in word or google docs with minimal lag or issues?

Heres the reason to why im asking: Im going to buy a laptop for this person I know. Hes not financially privileged as some people are and hes going to start his second year of architecture in college. I just want to know if a celeron based laptop is enough for him to work comfortably on reports and stuff so he doesnt need to go to some cyber cafe and work on the PCs there. Im thinking if I should go for a core i3 (or maybe its too much?) or the celeron CPU.

Theres another issue with the RAM. All the laptops Ive seen come with 4gb of RAM and seeing that they come with win10 it might have to be upgraded to 8gb just in case. What do you guys think?

Current PC build: - CASE:Sentey cyclone gs7000 - CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K - CPU COOLER:Corsair Hydro H80i Noctua NH-D15 - MOTHERBOARD:Asus P8Z68-V PRO - RAM:Gskill Ripjaws X Ddr3 32gb 1600mhz (2x8gb+8gb+8gb) - VIDEO:MSI GTX 680 lightning MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X - SOUND:Asus Xonar DG - PSU:Topower powerbird 1100w - SSD:Gskill Phoenix 3 240gb - SSD:Crucial MX200 500gb - SSD:Crucial MX300 750gb - HDD:WD Blue 500 GB SATA HDD ( WD5000AAKX) - Samsung internal optical drive

A Celeron is just above the Atom in Intel's lineup, and Atoms are good for everything you named. Sure, it isn't the best, but it should be fine. In regard to the RAM there should be no issues as long as he doesn't open 40 chrome tabs or do something in CAD.

Just keep in mind that a laptop with a "Celery" processor and 4 GB RAM will not allow him to use CAD software (very well), so he'll still need to use the PC's at the campus. CAD programs need a decent processor and GPU to be useable. I do think that the laptop will be really helpful to him so he can do his papers at home, so I would still buy it, even considering that it won't run CAD.

a desktop celeron is one thing. but laptop celerons are another thing entirely. 

in short yes he can watch youtube and word process and such.

in long. its not going to be enjoyable. webpages with lots of ads or flash will slow his computer to a crawl and if he does not keep his computer very clean with no extra crap running in the background he will not be happy.

CPU: I7 8700k @ 5ghz | Motherboard: Asus Z370-Prime | RAM: White Crucial balistix DDR4 2133mhz | GPU: GTX 1080TI | Storage: ssd HyperX 240gig, 2x2tb seagate Firecuda 1tb, BPX 480 gig nvme, 1tb sandisk ssd  | Cooling: Custom loop | PSU: Evga supernova 850w G2 | Case: Phanteks enthoo evolv atx black White modded | system theme: White/RGB/Weiss

17 minutes ago, nickolasnm said:

Hello There! I wanted to ask you guys if you had any experience with a laptop with a celeron type CPU in it. Are you able to use internet, watch videos and type up reports in word or google docs with minimal lag or issues?

Heres the reason to why im asking: Im going to buy a laptop for this person I know. Hes not financially privileged as some people are and hes going to start his second year of architecture in college. I just want to know if a celeron based laptop is enough for him to work comfortably on reports and stuff so he doesnt need to go to some cyber cafe and work on the PCs there. Im thinking if I should go for a core i3 (or maybe its too much?) or the celeron CPU.

Theres another issue with the RAM. All the laptops Ive seen come with 4gb of RAM and seeing that they come with win10 it might have to be upgraded to 8gb just in case. What do you guys think?

Which celeron? And 4GB of RAM is enough for that. Also are you sure he won't use heavy programs for architecture stuff?

i would recomend going refurb. get him a T420 and upgrade it over time

CPU: I7 8700k @ 5ghz | Motherboard: Asus Z370-Prime | RAM: White Crucial balistix DDR4 2133mhz | GPU: GTX 1080TI | Storage: ssd HyperX 240gig, 2x2tb seagate Firecuda 1tb, BPX 480 gig nvme, 1tb sandisk ssd  | Cooling: Custom loop | PSU: Evga supernova 850w G2 | Case: Phanteks enthoo evolv atx black White modded | system theme: White/RGB/Weiss

9 minutes ago, EthanCGamer said:

A Celeron is just above the Atom in Intel's lineup, and Atoms are good for everything you named. Sure, it isn't the best, but it should be fine. In regard to the RAM there should be no issues as long as he doesn't open 40 chrome tabs or do something in CAD.

Just keep in mind that a laptop with a "Celery" processor and 4 GB RAM will not allow him to use CAD software (very well), so he'll still need to use the PC's at the campus. CAD programs need a decent processor and GPU to be useable. I do think that the laptop will be really helpful to him so he can do his papers at home, so I would still buy it, even considering that it won't run CAD.

8 minutes ago, thorbrantly101 said:

a desktop celeron is one thing. but laptop celerons are another thing entirely. 

in short yes he can watch youtube and word process and such.

in long. its not going to be enjoyable. webpages with lots of ads or flash will slow his computer to a crawl and if he does not keep his computer very clean with no extra crap running in the background he will not be happy.

Thanks alot guys. I really appreciate your input.

5 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

Which celeron? And 4GB of RAM is enough for that. Also are you sure he won't use heavy programs for architecture stuff?

I think its the B800. I'll need to ask. I still need to talk to him about it without giving out any hints about me getting him one but I dont think he will in the short-term. I just want to help him out now with things that he needs to do and then Im sure he'll be able to buy a better one down the line so he can use CAD programs and all that.

9 minutes ago, thorbrantly101 said:

i would recomend going refurb. get him a T420 and upgrade it over time

I thought about that too but theyre hard to find here =/. It is a possibility though.

Current PC build: - CASE:Sentey cyclone gs7000 - CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K - CPU COOLER:Corsair Hydro H80i Noctua NH-D15 - MOTHERBOARD:Asus P8Z68-V PRO - RAM:Gskill Ripjaws X Ddr3 32gb 1600mhz (2x8gb+8gb+8gb) - VIDEO:MSI GTX 680 lightning MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X - SOUND:Asus Xonar DG - PSU:Topower powerbird 1100w - SSD:Gskill Phoenix 3 240gb - SSD:Crucial MX200 500gb - SSD:Crucial MX300 750gb - HDD:WD Blue 500 GB SATA HDD ( WD5000AAKX) - Samsung internal optical drive

2 minutes ago, nickolasnm said:

I thought about that too but theyre hard to find here =/. It is a possibility though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T420-Core-i5-2520M-2-5Ghz-1600-900-HD-4GB-128GB-SSD-Win8-1Pro-/122300138496?hash=item1c79a80400:g:MG0AAOSwCGVX7cS0

this is what i recommend.

it might need a new battery. and maybe a 20$ windows 10 key buts its much better then any celery laptop.

11 minutes ago, thorbrantly101 said:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T420-Core-i5-2520M-2-5Ghz-1600-900-HD-4GB-128GB-SSD-Win8-1Pro-/122300138496?hash=item1c79a80400:g:MG0AAOSwCGVX7cS0

this is what i recommend.

it might need a new battery. and maybe a 20$ windows 10 key buts its much better then any celery laptop.

That is true and its a nice laptop. I'll consider it. Thanks alot!

1 hour ago, nickolasnm said:

Thanks alot guys. I really appreciate your input.

I think its the B800. I'll need to ask. I still need to talk to him about it without giving out any hints about me getting him one but I dont think he will in the short-term. I just want to help him out now with things that he needs to do and then Im sure he'll be able to buy a better one down the line so he can use CAD programs and all that.

He will be fine with it :)

13 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

He will be fine with it :)

I hope so. Im considering getting that recommended T420 though.