Are smart TV the norm? cause I don't really want it

ChuckMaurice

Hello folks,

I'm considering buying a new TV to go with my A/V receiver and maybe a Nvidia ShieldTV. But I'm worried that smart TV will double with this Android TV box.
Andd I don't need any smart TV functionnality anyway because of the receiver which will centralize every media source.

Can we still get a high-end non-smart TV in 2017 ? Especially with 4K/HDR/great quality? I basically just want a screen with awesome image quality, I was perfectly fine with my 27" monitor except for the small size ^^

[Insert smart comment here]

It's pretty damn hard to get a "dumb" TV nowdays, especially if you're looking at high end TVs with thing like OLED panels and HDR support. I've been looking at them and you're basically going to have to have a smart TV if you want 4K or HDR. 

I wouldn't worry about whether the TV is smart or not. I ran into the same problem as you a few months ago and just got a smart one anyway. I never use any of the smart functions - I've never even connected it to the internet. I just have it connected to my computer and, for all intents, I just use it as a monitor. The smart functionality doesn't do any harm, you can just pretend it's not even there.

6 minutes ago, jldjul said:

Hello folks,

I'm considering buying a new TV to go with my A/V receiver and maybe a Nvidia ShieldTV. But I'm worried that smart TV will double with this Android TV box.
Andd I don't need any smart TV functionnality anyway because of the receiver which will centralize every media source.

Can we still get a high-end non-smart TV in 2017 ? Especially with 4K/HDR/great quality? I basically just want a screen with awesome image quality, I was perfectly fine with my 27" monitor except for the small size ^^

They're pretty much everywhere these days. Don't worry too much about it, you can just ignore the smart part for the most part.

i agree with you. Smart TV's OS/bloatware/apps are usually pointless

but it is the norm now

Photography / Finance / Gaming

Even if you find one that isn't "smart" you probably won't be saving any money because of it anyway.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

They're pretty much everywhere these days. Don't worry too much about it, you can just ignore the smart part for the most part.

Yes, can I say like "you're just a dumb monitor?" Ok that's better, although I don't know why it became mandatory for people with Home Theaters and A/V receivers.
Going this way, is AndroidTV (same as what's on the Nvidia ShieldTV) the best way to go to avoid any problems or do I go with the dumbest smart TV?

What are the smart TV OSs by the way? Android TV, Firefox OS on LG? is there more?

They're pretty much are the norm nowadays from what i'm seeing.

I mentioned in the forums, the other day i bought a Panasonic SmarTViera DS600B to use as a monitor for my PC (my own uncomprehended addiction, the 40' inch "monitor").

It's an amazing panel on itself,i don't need the Smart portion, i have my computer connected to it 24/7, account to the fact that the CPU on the TV is very slow and crappy, it just ends up being a useless price adder.

I tried to find another TV without the smart capabilities that had this good of a panel and the same quality upscaller (the Kill Bill footage is component 480p, btw), but i could only find older unsold Toshibas and lower end Philips.

IMG_20170108_192618243.jpg.e8434246f31adf6d1b488f90ae4bb305.jpg

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

8 minutes ago, jldjul said:

Yes, can I say like "you're just a dumb monitor?" Ok that's better, although I don't know why it became mandatory for people with Home Theaters and A/V receivers.

Not every consumer uses a set-up that you may deal with or use. 

8 minutes ago, jldjul said:

What are the smart TV OSs by the way? Android TV, Firefox OS on LG? is there more?

i hear they run on Android.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

4 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Not every consumer uses a set-up that you may deal with or use. 

i hear they run on Android.

Some are proprietary based on Java, like the one my Viera, the apps on it are direct ports from those on the PS3, they look and operate exactly the same.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

One thing to comment on Smartvs.

You see, brands are trying to reinvent the TV, they are trying to appeal to those who lost the interest in standard TV informercials and having to wait for movies and shows.

An example of this is that the biggest button on the controller of my Viera is the Netflix dedicated button.

6 minutes ago, Chevy_Monsenhor said:

One thing to comment on Smartvs.

You see, brands are trying to reinvent the TV, they are trying to appeal to those who lost the interest in standard TV informerciasls and having to wait for movies and shows.

An example of this is that the biggest button on the controller of my Viera is the Netflix dedicated button.

Sure, that makes sense, I myself haven't watch standard TV for like 8 years if you don't count times when I were at friends zapping on programs.
But what about customers who rely on higher-end sources like set-top boxes or A/V reveivers to provide their content? Are they such a minority that brands still put crappy useless speakers and don't care if they smart TV OS is useless too? 

I personally hate the idea that you have to hunt for a non-smart TV nowadays. My main problem is that it adds just another point of failure. They could easily implement HDR and TV specific features in an ASIC and leave out all the unnecessary apps, but noooo they just have to shove it in your face. Plus if it does not run something like Android the apps are rarely maintained, and sometimes they even get blocked, and they just sit there being useless.

My problem with smart tv's is simple. Proprietary OS' with Forced update causing botched apps, intrusive telemetry (like we saw with LG smart tv's a few years ago), and the fact that within sometime those apps will stop being supported. It's annoying. 

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

14 hours ago, Scruffy90 said:

My problem with smart tv's is simple. Proprietary OS' with Forced update causing botched apps, intrusive telemetry (like we saw with LG smart tv's a few years ago), and the fact that within sometime those apps will stop being supported. It's annoying. 

Indeed :)