970+1070 or 970+ RX 480 on EVGA 600W?

Sabbir Hassan
Go to solution Solved by Misanthrope,
12 minutes ago, Thony said:

Forget about 60FPS recording  with that old and not very good for comupting stuff CPU. 

It woukd bottleneck 1070 significantly. 

480 is best u can get but its not worth because its only slightly (5frames ?) better than 970.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1748?vs=1743

So I would suggest upgrading your platform if u want to record above 30fps gameplay.

The equivalent of an i7 4770 is old and not good for computing stuff? Did you get your Xeon namings mixed up or something? Is more than fucking fine.

which one will do better with upcoming gaming from battlefield 1 with recording at-least 60FPS? and will 600W be enough as power supply?

current pc(for power suggestion):
xeon E3-1231 v3
RAM DDR3 24GB
2HDD
EVGA 970
DVD drive

Not aware any game other than Ashes of the singularity supporting Multi-GPU, is it officially announced for BF1?

-------

Current Rig

-------

And correct me if im wrong but i dont think ati/amd cards and nvidia cards work together

99 Kid. Yes. A 'Youngster'.

World famous Couchpotatoe.

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

Not aware any game other than Ashes of the singularity supporting Multi-GPU, is it officially announced for BF1?

I dont know

1 minute ago, EmoChipmonk said:

Why do you want 2 video cards? 

I have faced drop of frame rate to 30 on GTX 970 with 6350 over clocked to 4.6GHz

Unless you are doing a duel PC stream set up stick with one video card which should be the 1070. Next i would use what you save on the card on a Better processer as Streaming uses a huge amount of CPU.

1 minute ago, Yali said:

And correct me if im wrong but i dont think ati/amd cards and nvidia cards work together

On multi-gpu enabled games on DX12 they would.

But as it stands it's good for exactly 1 game and I seriously doubt any other game will support it (other than maybe an Ashes sequel).

So to do SLI or crossfire you need two of the same card (veeeery few exceptions like 290x and 390x sometimes being allowed by AMD). Honestly I think selling your current GPU (I am assuming you have a 970 since you put it on both set ups) and getting a single 1080 would be the best bet today.

If budget won't allow that or you want to hold on to your 970 then the 1070 or a Fury X if you can find it on a good deal since they can be 50 to 100 cheaper than a 1070 for 80 to 100% of the performance of the 1070.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, EmoChipmonk said:

Unless you are doing a duel PC stream set up stick with one video card which should be the 1070. Next i would use what you save on the card on a Better processer as Streaming uses a huge amount of CPU.

And with one card a 600 watt is more then enough, With 2 i would have a 700.

2 minutes ago, EmoChipmonk said:

I have 970. I think i will need 1070 or 480 for update for recording?

Well for one Recording and streaming is more CPU based. And i would keep the 970 for now. I havent had a problem with it. Just get a more power full processer. Dont expect to record on MEGA ULTRA FANGASM details but that should be expected.

13 minutes ago, Sabbir Hassan said:

which one will do better with upcoming gaming from battlefield 1 with recording at-least 60FPS? and will 600W be enough as power supply?

current pc(for power suggestion):
xeon E3-1231 v3
RAM DDR3 24GB
2HDD
EVGA 970
DVD drive

I would not buy 2 different cards, they will not work if that is what you are trying to do. A 970 and a 1070 cannot sli together 

As for a program i recommend a Dxtory for recording with the lagereth lossless codec.

5 minutes ago, EmoChipmonk said:

And with one card a 600 watt is more then enough, With 2 i would have a 700.

which one will be the cheapest but best for dual GPU in 700W?

5 minutes ago, Sabbir Hassan said:

I have 970. I think i will need 1070 or 480 for update for recording?

The 1070 is far faster than the 480 but as it has been mentioned, recording or streaming video depends on the CPU (Unless you use Shadowplay or AMD VCE both of which have worst visual quality afaik). However your 1231 processor being hyperthreaded should be able to handle it.

600 Watts is enough for any of the GPUs you mention since you can't use both simultaneously.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Sabbir Hassan said:

Check sales around you but like i said, You need a beefy CPU not GPU.

Well for one Recording and streaming is more CPU based. And i would keep the 970 for now. I havent had a problem with it. Just get a more power full processer. Dont expect to record on MEGA ULTRA FANGASM details but that should be expected.

unfortunately stuck with xeon E3-1231 v3 till next year. i will goo with everything in max setting. what will be the advice ?

2 minutes ago, Sabbir Hassan said:

Dual 480s would be the cheapest but it still as fast (usually not faster) than a single 1080 just get a single 1080 instead of dual cards: works on more games, is far better supported and uses far less power while producing less heat.

-------

Current Rig

-------

So if your stuck with that processer for now then ya i guess get the 1070 and sell the 970. Might as well.

1 minute ago, Sabbir Hassan said:

unfortunately stuck with xeon E3-1231 v3 till next year. i will goo with everything in max setting. what will be the advice ?

5 minutes ago, EmoChipmonk said:

As for a program i recommend a Dxtory for recording with the lagereth lossless codec.

need a cheap recording for now i will use shadow-play :)

Just now, Sabbir Hassan said:

need a cheap recording for now i will use shadow-play :)

If you cant get it or borrow a license from some one then use OBS. In my experience shadow play is horrid It made me drop an entire series because it ruined 2 and a half hours of footage that no matter what i did couldnt fix.

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

Dual 480s would be the cheapest but it still as fast (usually not faster) than a single 1080 just get a single 1080 instead of dual cards: works on more games, is far better supported and uses far less power while producing less heat.

1080 will be near AUD1000 but 1070 is AUD600 to much for me now for me..

for a short time is it possible to run 970 and 1070  in 600W with that config ?

600 will be more then enough for the 1070.