980ti G1 Gaming Overclocking

namarino

I've run a couple of benchmarks and have been noticing some fairly significant throttling when the temp goes above 60. Has anyone noticed this and successfully overclocked it without it throttling? If so, what settings did you use to avoid it? Thanks so much.

throttles at only 60c?

whats your temp limit set to?

Photography / Finance / Gaming

37 minutes ago, mok said:

throttles at only 60c?

whats your temp limit set to?

Yep and I set the temp limit to 91.

21 minutes ago, namarino said:

Yep and I set the temp limit to 91.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/71542-gigabyte-gtx-980-ti-g1-gaming-review-17.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GTX_980_Ti_G1_Gaming/33.html

i know not all gpu's are the same but try using their settings?

its really weird the your card throttles at 60c - im thinking maybe the VRMs specifically arent getting cooled properly?

would you be able to check somehow if the VRMs have thermal pads making contact with the rest of the heatsink?

Photography / Finance / Gaming

Please explain what happens when it Throttles. Does the clock speed go down or are you looking at utilization?

If anyone asks you never saw me.

I assume that they're cooled properly. The thing is stock and I haven't messed around with it in any way. Is it possible that it's defective or something? I noticed that even when it's not overclocked it throttles. 

Your CPU is bottlenecking that card. Probably what you're seeing. 

I have a 4790k, it's not bottlenecking the card. I just looked again. The clock is static but the GPU utilization seems to be dropping to about 50% periodically. Is that something to be concerned about?

Saw your profile with the AMD chip sorry.

If it's utilization it's not throttling. What benchmark?

5 minutes ago, App4that said:

Saw your profile with the AMD chip sorry.

If it's utilization it's not throttling. What benchmark?

Oh haha no problem, I need to update that eventually. I'm using the Valley benchmark.

Valley? Completely normal. It's shite. You'll see dips even in a better benchmark like Firestrike. GTA is a good one if you have it. 

Oh really? Interesting. So if the results that I'm getting in the benchmarks are actually lower after the overclock compared to the stock settings, is that normal??

That's not normal unless the overclock isn't stable and causing hitching and other issues. 

Doewnload GPU-Z, here's a link. https://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/GPU-Z/

Once you install it, open it. At the top left corner you will see a icon that looks like a graphics card, click on that and you'll get a dropdown menu. 

Click on Read ASIC Quality. Tell us what it says. 

That's pretty good. Basically all that means is current was past through the silicon and it refers to the efficiency. A higher score usually means a better overclocker but not always. My two 980ti have ASIC of 73 and 78 and if anything the 73 is a little stronger. 

But it's not in the 50's or something, I've seen it and it cause a problem. 

If you have Steam use the Firestrike benchmark. After it's done hit "Compare Online" towards the top and once the page opens copy the link, post it here. There's a free version of Firestrike so no worries. 

14 minutes ago, App4that said:

That's pretty good. Basically all that means is current was past through the silicon and it refers to the efficiency. A higher score usually means a better overclocker but not always. My two 980ti have ASIC of 73 and 78 and if anything the 73 is a little stronger. 

But it's not in the 50's or something, I've seen it and it cause a problem. 

If you have Steam use the Firestrike benchmark. After it's done hit "Compare Online" towards the top and once the page opens copy the link, post it here. There's a free version of Firestrike so no worries. 

Ok cool I'll try that out. Is firestrike considered the best benchmarking software for GPUs??

Just now, namarino said:

Ok cool I'll try that out. Is firestrike considered the best benchmarking software for GPUs??

It's a favorite of mine for dialing a clock speed. If you buy it you don't have to sit through the into. Though I've found the intro is good for showing a unstable clock. 

12 minutes ago, App4that said:

It's a favorite of mine for dialing a clock speed. If you buy it you don't have to sit through the into. Though I've found the intro is good for showing a unstable clock. 

I'll give it a try. Thanks a lot!