Standard optimized PC Platform

hotredsam

Poll  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What Price Point of the Build would be Best?

• $400
    • $500
    • $1000

Hi,

I was thinking that Xbox's and PS4's have games optimized for them and can run most games fine even though they have bad hardware.What if we could get enough people to start a petition to get game developers to optimize games even more for a specific hardware configuration. Also if a lot of people bought all those parts they would probably become cheaper. And instead of having to pay thousands for the best PC ever a $500 or maybe even less could play it the same. Put a link to a PC part picker build in the description that you think would be a good idea. Maybe a $400, $500, and $1000 Build.

Thanks

Just now, hotredsam said:

What if we could get enough people to start a petition to get game developers to optimize games even more for a specific hardware configuration

just stop

7 minutes ago, hotredsam said:

Hi,

I was thinking that Xbox's and PS4's have games optimized for them and can run most games fine even though they have bad hardware.What if we could get enough people to start a petition to get game developers to optimize games even more for a specific hardware configuration. Also if a lot of people bought all those parts they would probably become cheaper. And instead of having to pay thousands for the best PC ever a $500 or maybe even less could play it the same. Put a link to a PC part picker build in the description that you think would be a good idea. Maybe a $400, $500, and $1000 Build.

Thanks

No. PC is all about choosing the right parts for you and being able to choose what you want to do. You can game on a $400 PC. You can also game on a $1000. We should not get devs to optimize for specific hardware because then you lose the benefits of PC.

17 minutes ago, hotredsam said:

~snip

Well the hardware is not actually bad, it is more customised for the main use of the systems. A PC is more of an universal tool.

Sure, standards will bring down prices, but then again there is the danger of monopolies.

And tbh, if PC parts would get that much cheaper, I would personally be bored ;). I like to go to work and save up money for this hobby, plus you are more attached to the hardware if you worked hard for it. Else there would be the "Smartphone mentality" buy a "cheap" 150 bucks one, throw it away and so on. Not very environmental friendly.

There are already standards, like PCIe, S-ATA, NVME, ATX/ITX/etc., CPU sockets, RAM-Slots, USB/Thunderbolt. So you can choose from many things to suit your needs, therefore a "standard PC" seems a little bit unlikely. ;)

SilentOcean

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC Gaming ACX 3.0 MB: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK, RAM: Corsair XMS3 4x4GB RAM, Storage: Samsung Evo 840 SSD@120GB, Samsung Evo 850 SSD@1TB, Intel 535 SSD@240GB PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 10 500W Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Cooling: Cryorig H7, 2xFractal Design GP-14, 1xNoctua NF-A14 FLX OS: Windows 10 Home

4 hours ago, annoyingmoments said:

Well the hardware is not actually bad, it is more customised for the main use of the systems. A PC is more of an universal tool.

Sure, standards will bring down prices, but then again there is the danger of monopolies.

And tbh, if PC parts would get that much cheaper, I would personally be bored ;). I like to go to work and save up money for this hobby, plus you are more attached to the hardware if you worked hard for it. Else there would be the "Smartphone mentality" buy a "cheap" 150 bucks one, throw it away and so on. Not very environmental friendly.

There are already standards, like PCIe, S-ATA, NVME, ATX/ITX/etc., CPU sockets, RAM-Slots, USB/Thunderbolt. So you can choose from many things to suit your needs, therefore a "standard PC" seems a little bit unlikely. ;)

I can agree to that.

Or maybe if they used a program that would like trial and error optimize your system using cloud computer network over other computers with your hardware.

Good in theory, terrible in concept.

Consoles will generally have the same parts in them for years until they get refreshed or a new model released, so optimising a game for them isn't too hard to do and wouldn't take too long.
For PC's there's hundreds, and most likely thousands, of cpu/gpu combinations that people use, optimising a game for each different combination would take years.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Biggest issue there is that AMD, Intel and nVidia are giving money to devs to optimize games. To run best on their hardware. So thats already a thing. But the problem comes since these companies want to sell expensive parts. Devs would loose major part of their financial support if they suddenly decided to focus only on middle class gaming hardware.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

18 hours ago, hotredsam said:

I was thinking that Xbox's and PS4's have games optimized for them and can run most games fine even though they have bad hardware.

Developers optimize for the PC if they're releasing on PC. And if you think the Xbox and Playstation running half (or more) of their game libraries capped at 30 FPS—and sometimes not even successfully maintaining that—is "running most games fine," you'll be pretty easy to satisfy on PC. :P

Mercifully we don't have as much vendor-specific fragmentation as the console market does. But we should want less of that, not more. That's good for the corporations and bad for consumers.

Do you think there would be a program you could run that would optimize a game more for your PC?