First off, my current computer specs:

• Asus Z170-Deluxe
  • Intel Core i5 6600 "Skylake"
  • 16GB DDR4 2133MHz RAM
  • MSI Nvidia GTX1060 Gaming X 6GB
  • Samsung 850 Evo 250GB m.2
  • Toshiba 1TB hard drive
  • 1 generic USB3 PCIe expansion card

So, recently I upgraded my graphics card from a GTX760 to a GTX1060 6GB. Previously, my computer rarely, if ever, had any issues with sleep and hibernate (probably related to RAM issues, which I have already fixed). Since upgrading to my GTX1060 though, my computer would often not come out of S3 sleep mode. I press the power button on my computer to wake it (I use a Bluetooth keyboard and Wacom tablet, which can't wake my computer from sleep), and the power LED lights up, but the display remains in sleep mode, and I don't see my USB devices (the aforementioned Wacom tablet) receiving any power. At this point I will have to hold down the power button to force it to turn off and turn it on again, in which case it acts as if resuming from hibernation (I have hybrid sleep enabled). In the latter case though, sometimes it would take quite a few of my USB ports with it when it resumes. I have checked Device Manager when this happens and apparently, one of the System Devices (PCI Express Root Port) gets disconnected, taking with it the on-board USB ports that are linked to that device apparently. When this happens, the only way to fix it is to turn off and unplug my computer from the mains switch before they start working properly again.

Apparently, I'm not the only one having a similar issue; a cursory search on Google shows this to be quite widespread. I saw - and posted - in a thread on the Nvidia forums with many users having the same issue as well, from varying graphics card vendors and motherboard combinations.

I have already tried using DDU to clean and reinstall the drivers, rolling back to an earlier graphics card driver version, updating/uninstalling drivers for both graphics card and my motherboard's chipsets, updating and tweaking my BIOS firmware, and tweaking Advanced Power Settings in Windows, to no avail. There are some solutions suggesting disabling hibernation or hybrid sleep, but I cannot live without these two features as I rely a lot on the sleep and hibernate feature on my computer.

At this point I'm out of ideas. I will go into the BIOS firmware again to see if there's anything else I can do, but other than that I have no idea what else could be the issue other than a possible inherent issue with the GTX1060 and sleep.

Anyone else with similar issues? If you fixed it, can you post what you did?

Update: I just decided to try Nvidia's hotfix driver here to see if it would help. Just did a few tests and things seem to be fixed? I will have to see how it goes and see if the problem returns in a few days.
Edit: no luck, the problem returned after a restart. :(
Edit 2: decided to check the Qcodes on my Asus motherboard, and it shows E1, which apparently points to a sleep resume error.