Bandwith Usage Help Please

CRobb66

SO in their wisdom, Comcast now has limited my bandwith to 1024GB's a month. In October last year I used the highest amount of bandwith in the 12 years I have been with them which was 700GB's, I downloaded movies, watched TV shows on the Comcast website, so I did a lot. So Nov 1st they started the 1024GB limit, then its 10$ for an additional 50GB's. So Nov I used 1137GB's of bandwith, even after cutting back on usage, hardly watching any shows in Nov online and no movie downloads. So Dec rolls around and I used 1358GB's in the month. Trying even further to make sure I didn't go over. So my highest month in oct was 700, and now in Dec I used 1358. The last 2 nights I shut my PC off, and had one on with nothing running, I used 22GB's overnight while I slept, and 18GB's while I slept, back to back nights. So in 5 days in jan i am at 222GB's, averaging 44GB's a day. Can ANYONE tell me wtf is going on, all Comcast tells me is I can upgrade to unlimited bandwith for an additional 50$ a month, I told them not so nicely they were out of their freaking minds. Anyways, I will have to cancel the service and find something else, not sure what to do. I can't stream and play my games or I will definitely go over. What kind of bandwith do you all use, if you know, cause I am using way too much. Thanks for any advice.

Well all you've done is tell us how much bandwidth you use not tell us whats on your network. Check all your devices and make sure they aren't streaming anything 24/7 and check background downloads. Also if your using nearly 1TB of data a month you clearly need to go unlimited or cut back theirs really no other choice. I stream allot of 4K video and crap and I rarely go over 500GB.

I have 2pc's, my older mom only browses Facebook and does some browser based games on her pc. And my pc I was streaming some games but now it is a bit hard, and I have my cell phone via wifi. Thats it for devices. Sorry I neglected to include that info. I only stream in 1080 and not much the past 4 months, just started again streaming, but only like 20hours a week.

13 minutes ago, CRobb66 said:

SO in their wisdom, Comcast now has limited my bandwith to 1024GB's a month. In October last year I used the highest amount of bandwith in the 12 years I have been with them which was 700GB's, I downloaded movies, watched TV shows on the Comcast website, so I did a lot. So Nov 1st they started the 1024GB limit, then its 10$ for an additional 50GB's. So Nov I used 1137GB's of bandwith, even after cutting back on usage, hardly watching any shows in Nov online and no movie downloads. So Dec rolls around and I used 1358GB's in the month. Trying even further to make sure I didn't go over. So my highest month in oct was 700, and now in Dec I used 1358. The last 2 nights I shut my PC off, and had one on with nothing running, I used 22GB's overnight while I slept, and 18GB's while I slept, back to back nights. So in 5 days in jan i am at 222GB's, averaging 44GB's a day. Can ANYONE tell me wtf is going on, all Comcast tells me is I can upgrade to unlimited bandwith for an additional 50$ a month, I told them not so nicely they were out of their freaking minds. Anyways, I will have to cancel the service and find something else, not sure what to do. I can't stream and play my games or I will definitely go over. What kind of bandwith do you all use, if you know, cause I am using way too much. Thanks for any advice.

Go on steam, download and run glasswire whenever you get the chance. It can help weed out some issues if things are deciding to run even when you don't want them too. (My.com launcher is terrible for this btw (armored warfare etc..))

Make sure all your devices that could be connected aren't and then change your wifi password/info incase a neighbor is stealing it

ads running in the background can also be a pain

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

If you torrent stuff you should make sure that its not seeding. I made that mistake once. If its not that then there is something in your house that is consistently using up your internet bandwidth and switching to another service will not change that. (if it does then Comcast has been robbing you blind).

Try troubleshooting your problem by turning off your router and seeing if it makes a difference. If it doesnt then it could be something on a wired connection doing it and vise versa.

3 minutes ago, CRobb66 said:

I have 2pc's, my older mom only browses Facebook and does some browser based games on her pc. And my pc I was streaming some games but now it is a bit hard, and I have my cell phone via wifi. Thats it for devices. Sorry I neglected to include that info. I only stream in 1080 and not much the past 4 months, just started again streaming, but only like 20hours a week.

I bet you there is a series of virus' on your moms facebook machine causing the problem. Try giving it a fresh install of windows. Manually back up your files. if you back up everything then put it all back on it wont change anything. 

Game launchers also can tend to constantly search for updates in the background with no way of disabling it. Make sure its not that

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

Do you have a modem/router combo or do you have a modem with a router plugged into it? If you have two different devices, I would unplug your router but leave your modem on (meaning nothing will be connected to the internet except the modem, no PCs or devices) and check your bandwidth usage when you wake up. If it's still using bandwidth while you're router was unplugged I would call up Comcast and get a tech out or have them check for a problem on their side.

Can you give us the info on your network device (make and model)? If you're lucky it will let you monitor your bandwidth internally which might help you figure out where the bandwidth use is coming from.

For me, I use SNMP monitoring at my switch so I can see what ports are using how much bandwidth at any given time. If somebody in my family got infected with malware and became part of a botnet then I'd know exactly when and which device.

-KuJoe

OK I will get on my mom's PC and get her PC a fresh Install of Windows and see if that helps, I will also search Glasswire and other options mentioned, thank you for the help thus far, I will update. :) I have a modem/router combo from Comcast, just got a new one on last Sunday. 

Make & Model: ARRIS Group, Inc. tg1682g Is all I got.

2 minutes ago, 8uhbbhu8 said:

Game launchers also can tend to constantly search for updates in the background with no way of disabling it. Make sure its not that

pretty sure you can disable background downloading for steam. Steam > Preferences. There you will have options limiting bandwidth and regulating background downloads. 

8 minutes ago, CRobb66 said:

Does your router show data usage. 

Before you go through the trouble of a re-install, you can quickly check the bandwidth usage of a Windows PC using the following steps. This might help you narrow down which PC is the culprit (if any).

1) Right click on the network icon in the taskbar and click on "Open Network and Sharing Center" (this might be slightly different depending on your version of Windows):

nic_status1.png

2) Click on the name of your connection:

nic_status2.png

3) View the numbers below "Sent" and "Received", this is the bandwidth (in bytes) that Windows has recorded since the last reboot (it is accurate):

nic_status3.png

-KuJoe

ok, so I did it on my moms pc, it is currently going higher and higher, nothing is on or running. 

Moms PC

Sent - 382,030,952

Received - 2,113,250,846 

My PC

sent - 759,689,849

received - 2,820,575,067

As I said it is constantly going up, the numbers, is that normal?? Mine was rebooted about an 1.5 hours ago, hers this morning.

Also our numbers are only like 5 mins apart.