Cheap PSU

Tm_Carbon
Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

The EVGA W1 series are terrible, I wouldn't recommend getting one. 

A SeaSonic S12II is a much better choice: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/4Vzv6h/seasonic-power-supply-s12ii430b

EDIT: You could also look at the Corsair CX series. Since they've been replaced by the CXM series, you can find some good deals on them. For a lower power draw system, they'll do well. 

So for a project of mine I wanted to reuse my old pc parts and make a HTPC. The only part I don't have would be a power supply which I need to be at least 400 watts. Due to this just being a side project I would rather not spend more than $40 on a unit to power the pc. I found a EVGA PSU that looks like it fits my requirements however i'm not incredibly sure how good it is so some feedback on it would be nice. So what would be the cheapest/most efficient power supply for $40ish? 

EVGA PSU: https://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=100-N1-0550-L1

Why does it need to be at least 400 watts? 

That PSU is pretty bad. Anything from tier 4 or above on the PSU tier list in my sig would be fine. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, Tm_Carbon said:

So for a project of mine I wanted to reuse my old pc parts and make a HTPC. The only part I don't have would be a power supply which I need to be at least 400 watts. Due to this just being a side project I would rather not spend more than $40 on a unit to power the pc. I found a EVGA PSU that looks like it fits my requirements however i'm not incredibly sure how good it is so some feedback on it would be nice. So what would be the cheapest/most efficient power supply for $40ish? 

if i'm not sure about a psu i just look up a johnny guru review

The EVGA W1 series are terrible, I wouldn't recommend getting one. 

A SeaSonic S12II is a much better choice: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/4Vzv6h/seasonic-power-supply-s12ii430b

EDIT: You could also look at the Corsair CX series. Since they've been replaced by the CXM series, you can find some good deals on them. For a lower power draw system, they'll do well. 

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

Why does it need to be at least 400 watts? 

The parts that I will be using for it will be around 350 watts so I wanted a bit more wattage if I ever upgrade it.

3 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

if i'm not sure about a psu i just look up a johnny guru review

A note for JohnnyGuru reviews: It's worth reading through them entirely, but mostly ignoring the scoring. Pretty much every PSU is given an 8 or more, making it hard to actually determine what PSUs are bad. Some PSUs that other review sites have given a complete fail, JohnnyGuru has given an 8/10. 

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

A note for JohnnyGuru reviews: It's worth reading through them entirely, but mostly ignoring the scoring. Pretty much every PSU is given an 8 or more, making it hard to actually determine what PSUs are bad. Some PSUs that other review sites have given a complete fail, JohnnyGuru has given an 8/10. 

i usually look at the stability portion of the test as that's what ruins components. also i like to look at the build quality section to see how well its put together and what type of compositors it uses. 

7 minutes ago, Tm_Carbon said:

Yo dog, I heard you love suicide, so I pimped your pc with a non-rated PSU that isn't doesn't have a eco mode. 

I just had too...

I think this isn't too bad for the price 

https://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16817151072

The s12ii aren't that bad compared especially to that EVGA

APU: AMD A10-7850K cooled by an NH-L12; PSU(going to upgrade sooner or later):  Antec VP450P;RAM: 2x4GB HyperX Savage 2133MHz; MOBO: Asus A68HM-Plus; CASE: Itek [something] ; HDD: WD Blue 1TB(WD10EZEX)

OS: Triple boot openSUSE Leap Debian Jessie and Windows 10(aka MSX)

You can also wait a few days and keep checking newegg.com for flash sales on a decent psu. They happen pretty frequently. 

34 minutes ago, Tm_Carbon said:

The parts that I will be using for it will be around 350 watts so I wanted a bit more wattage if I ever upgrade it.

You haven't told us what will be powering that need 350w or 400w

1 minute ago, Factory OC said:

Yo dog, I heard you love suicide, so I pimped your pc with a non-rated PSU that isn't doesn't have a eco mode. 

I just had too...

Ok so It looks like the general consensus is the EVGA PSU is bad while the SeaSonic one is good. 

13 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

You haven't told us what will be powering that need 350w or 400w

Due to me using parts from my first computer that I've upgraded over the years it will be a i5 4590 cpu with a gtx 970 gpu. 

36 minutes ago, Shog said:

You can also wait a few days and keep checking newegg.com for flash sales on a decent psu. They happen pretty frequently. 

I will do to see if I can get a good deal.

When looking at reviews (jonnyguru.com, techpowerup.com, etc..), read the conclusion. Some reviewers also give out awards, such as: "recommended", "PASS", "FAIL". Look out for those.

1 hour ago, Tm_Carbon said:

Ok so It looks like the general consensus is the EVGA PSU is bad while the SeaSonic one is good.

In that range, yes. The SeaSonic has a Bronze rating, when the EVGA is unrated...

9 minutes ago, Factory OC said:

In that range, yes. The SeaSonic has a Bronze rating, when the EVGA is unrated...

The 80+ bronze rating isn't what makes the SeaSonic PSU better. That particular EVGA PSU is just crap. There are plenty of examples of 80+ bronze PSUs that are better than 80+ gold PSUs.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

The 80+ bronze rating isn't what makes the SeaSonic PSU better. That particular EVGA PSU is just crap. There are plenty of examples of 80+ bronze PSUs that are better than 80+ gold PSUs.

Still, better to be safe xD.