Modem acting very strangely...

beaker15

I have Cable One as an ISP using a Motorola Arris Modem and recently I have been noticing that the WAN activity light on my Linksys EA6900 router was freaking out when there was nothing running on my network. So I rebooted the router, light still going crazy. Disabled wifi and all LAN ports on the router, light still going crazy. So I restarted my modem, light still going crazy. Then I tried accessing my modems GUI to see whats going on and I can't access my modems GUI anymore for some reason. Any ideas whats going on? 

What do you mean by "I can't acces my modems GUI anymore"? Does it put out an error or ist the website simply not available or what is happening?

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

2 minutes ago, myselfolli said:

What do you mean by "I can't acces my modems GUI anymore"? Does it put out an error or ist the website simply not available or what is happening?

Says the website is not available. 

How are you trying to access it? Via the ip?

So is the rest probably

1 minute ago, myselfolli said:

How are you trying to access it? Via the ip?

Yup, the same way I've accessed it in the past.

192.168.0.1 ?

are you connected via ethernet or via wifi?

So is the rest probably

2 minutes ago, myselfolli said:

192.168.0.1 ?

are you connected via ethernet or via wifi?

Well considering that my modem does not have wifi I access it via ethernet. No I don't access it via 192.168.1.1, modems almost never use an IP in that range in my experience. I use an IPCONFIG or IFCONFIG command to find the IP and then use that to access the modem like I always have.

What happens when you try to browse to 192.168.100.1?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

According to this (link) and to my personal experience modems and routers tend to assign the 192.168.0.1 IP to themselves after reconfiguring. Just do me (us) a favor and try it

So is the rest probably

10 minutes ago, myselfolli said:

According to this (link) and to my personal experience modems and routers tend to assign the 192.168.0.1 IP to themselves after reconfiguring. Just do me (us) a favor and try it

Ah ha! so 192.168.0.1 did not work but user Lurick said to try 192.168.100.1 and that worked. But seriously my modem in the past didnt assign an address in that range...

5 minutes ago, beaker15 said:

Ah ha! so 192.168.0.1 did not work but user Lurick said to try 192.168.100.1 and that worked. But seriously my modem in the past didnt assign an address in that range...

Yah, for some reason the Arris modems like to use 192.168.100.1 which I found out when I was trying to subnet my network and ran into connectivity issues to the modem.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Yah, for some reason the Arris modems like to use 192.168.100.1 which I found out when I was trying to subnet my network and ran into connectivity issues to the modem.

So is there a way to discover why my network activity light is blinking like crazy even when no traffic is running over the network?

1 minute ago, beaker15 said:

So is there a way to discover why my network activity light is blinking like crazy even when no traffic is running over the network?

You could try installing Wireshark and connecting to the router and running a capture to see.

Have you updated it lately to the latest firmware?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

54 minutes ago, Lurick said:

You could try installing Wireshark and connecting to the router and running a capture to see.

Have you updated it lately to the latest firmware?

So I checked it is up to date, As for wireshark I have it installed but I don't know how to use it to monitor traffic between my modem and router.

You're always sending data in/out of the network, this seems pretty normal. Applications check for updates, phones get push notifications, etc...

Regards,

Remix

Please (@mention) my username. Otherwise I may not see your message!

3 hours ago, Remix said:

You're always sending data in/out of the network, this seems pretty normal. Applications check for updates, phones get push notifications, etc...

I totally understand that but disabling both LAN and WLAN should stop or at least slow that but it doesn't. And it didn't use to do that

1 hour ago, beaker15 said:

I totally understand that but disabling both LAN and WLAN should stop or at least slow that but it doesn't. And it didn't use to do that

Possibly a change in Firmware caused the activity indicators to change. Do both the modem and router freak out? If nothing is connected via WiFi/LAN and lights are freaking out, you shouldn't worry about it.

Check for Firmware updates, possibly a security update?

Regards,

Remix

Please (@mention) my username. Otherwise I may not see your message!

On 1/6/2017 at 2:42 PM, Remix said:

Possibly a change in Firmware caused the activity indicators to change. Do both the modem and router freak out? If nothing is connected via WiFi/LAN and lights are freaking out, you shouldn't worry about it.

Check for Firmware updates, possibly a security update?

Ya, nothing seems to be happening with the LAN lights but I will look into trying to find any updates. Thanks for the help.