GPU Upgrade Dilemma

269395_1454182228

Hi, i Currently have a 980ti and recently got a 3440x1440 monitor, and i was thinking of upgrading.

My thoughts were:

An extra 980ti for 250 euro (SLI)

get an GTX 1080

Or wait for the next generation.

(Note I wont be able to afford a 1080Ti when it comes out. by the time i will have enough money, the next generation will be right around the corner.)

Just now, samocamo123 said:

I would probably say the 980ti sli option is a better idea.

But People told me that sli is horrible is that true?

sli is a pain in the ass. either wait for the next generation or try to scrape every penny for the TI

1 minute ago, tlink said:

sli is a pain in the ass. either wait for the next generation or try to scrape every penny for the TI

Pain in the ass as is? Hard to set up, or in game.

1 minute ago, 269395_1454182228 said:

But People told me that sli is horrible is that true?

2 Way SLI isn't too bad and with the development of DX12 multigpu setups will get even better.

1 minute ago, samocamo123 said:

2 Way SLI isn't too bad and with the development of DX12 multigpu setups will get even better.

Then i'm getting another 980ti in a week :)

Thanks for the help!

2 minutes ago, 269395_1454182228 said:

Then i'm getting another 980ti in a week :)

Thanks for the help!

I would really reconsider that choice. A 1080 is still a heck faster then a 980ti AND it will safe you all the trouble SLI brings. 
Also think about the powerbill, heat accurying in ur case. You also need to make sure you got a big enough PSU.

Budget Rig "Curable":     | FX 6300 @4.5Ghz | Asus R9 270x | Asus Crosshair IV Extreme | 16GB HyperX Beast | 120GB PNY SSD

Tablet "Buddy":                 Trekstor Wintron 10.1|

Just now, Rodniz said:

I would really reconsider that choice. A 1080 is still a heck faster then a 980ti AND it will safe you all the trouble SLI brings. 
Also think about the powerbill, heat accurying in ur case. You also need to make sure you got a big enough PSU.

I'm pretty sure my psu can handle it. (Bequiet 1000W Powerzone)

2 minutes ago, samocamo123 said:

that's not a guarantee. IF that even becomes the case, it might be another year heck even 2 years before we see the actual benefits of it. the general consensus is get a single gpu solution for the best results.

Ive never had a single issue with sli.

I still use two old cards instead of my 1080.

Guess it depends on how much you feel like wasting overall.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Just now, tlink said:

that's not a guarantee. IF that even becomes the case, it might be another year heck even 2 years before we see the actual benefits of it. the general consensus is get a single gpu solution for the best results.

Then should i sell my current 980ti and get a gtx 1080, or Wait

1 minute ago, Mick Naughty said:

Ive never had a single issue with sli.

I still use two old cards instead of my 1080.

Guess it depends on how much you feel like wasting overall.

What Games Do you Play?

1 minute ago, 269395_1454182228 said:

What Games Do you Play?

Bf1, hardline, bf4, cod bo3 and a little of infinite warfare.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Then should i sell my current 980ti and get a gtx 1080, or Wait

i would wait tbh, but it really depends on what games you play. the 1080ti is rumored to get announced soon which might change pricing etc and give a good spike in the second hand 1080 market.

3 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Bf1, hardline, bf4, cod bo3 and a little of infinite warfare.

I mainly play: CSGO, Planetary Annihilation Titans, GTA 5, Forza Horizon 3 and BF1

Are these games sli playable?

5 minutes ago, 269395_1454182228 said:

I mainly play: CSGO, Planetary Annihilation Titans, GTA 5, Forza Horizon 3 and BF1

Are these games sli playable?

Think it's just BF1 that has solid SLI support. 

GTA 5 i think too. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 minute ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Think it's just BF1 that has solid SLI support. 

GTA 5 i think too. 

You seem to have sli, How is your experience?

You seem to have sli, How is your experience?

In the games is play it's perfect. BF4 and DOOM never really drop below 120FPS. Usually 150+ to 200

CS:GO and Forza Horizon 3 do not support SLi unfortunately. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I think what you get depends on how long term you want your upgrade to be.

As of right now, sli'd 980ti's are going to beat the 1080 in a good number of AAA games that support sli.

What you'll need to consider is that you'll still have 6gb of vRAM.  Games in the near future will probably be using more vRAM than the 980ti can provide.  And if you're into mods at all, then you'll hit your 6gb ceiling much sooner, thus your gains with a second 980ti will diminish.  There's also the fact that a lot of games don't support it or scale well with it.  It has improved on the AAA scene, but I still play a large number of smaller games or indie games that aren't optimized for this sort of thing.  Even with AAA titles it's still a bit hit and miss.  

With all those variables to consider, that's why most people steer clear from SLI/Crossfire and say that it's bad.  I would personally wait for the 1080 ti to come out but if you were to get the second card only to get by for the next couple of years I don't see it as a bad decision.  If you were doing any kind of 3d rendering or had a need for the CUDAs, then it's a much easier decision.

3 minutes ago, 269395_1454182228 said:

I think i'm gonna sell my 980ti and buy a 1080 ti when board variants come out.

Probably the better choice. Pascal has some very nice features. 

Just now, DildorTheDecent said:

Probably the better choice. Pascal has some very nice features. 

Thx For the help.