DIY Graphics Card Surgery

Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to take a founders edition card like for example the 1070 and place an aftermarket cooler that shares the reference PCB? Something like the EVGA SC cooler which has the same PCB as the founders.

Just now, Himommies said:

Theoretically yes but why

I'm just curious that's all. I have a founders 1070 but I love the design too much to want to ruin it

Just now, Skybound said:

I'm just curious that's all. I have a founders 1070 but I love the design too much to want to ruin it

But by putting a aftermarket cooler on you will remove the cooler 

My life

1 minute ago, it_dont_work said:

Yes, but it might end up more cost effective to just buy something like an arctic gpu cooler if the temp really bothers you.

Or full watercooling look amazing too

My life

Just now, Skybound said:

If you swap the cooler, the design changes. If you want a better cooler, you're better off selling the FE 1070 and buying a SC 1070.

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.91 GHz RAM: G.Skill 4x4GB 2133Mhz DDR3 GPU: AMD HD 7970 3GB SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB PSU: Corsair HX620W  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Case: Phanteks P400 Tempered Glass (Black) Monitor: Dell P2412H, Dell 2012H Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic Mouse: Logitech G203 Prodigy HDD: WD Black 3TB

Just now, PokeCatz said:

If you swap the cooler, the design changes. If you want a better cooler, you're better off selling the FE 1070 and buying a SC 1070.

I meant that I like the founders design more not the sc 1070. Although its not that bad looking either

2 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Or full watercooling look amazing too

You got a point

1 minute ago, Skybound said:

I meant that I like the founders design more not the sc 1070. Although its not that bad looking either

If you swap thw FE cooler with say a Sc cooler you lose everything the green nvidia logo and all and it looks like a SC

My life

If you swap thw FE cooler with say a Sc cooler you lose everything the green nvidia logo and all and it looks like a SC

I know, I don't really want to tinker with my card. Its just my curiosity speaking

1 minute ago, Skybound said:

I know, I don't really want to tinker with my card. Its just my curiosity speaking

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

My life

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Yeah, I'm sorry if I came across a little confusing. My apologies.

Yes you can change it to a twin fan cooler, but you will then lose the look you like. IMO the Ref coolers are ugly anyway.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430