Shutdown Problem

Hi guys! I finished building my new computer! I have one problem, when I turn it off through windows, the screen will turn off, but the fans, cpu and gpu will continue to work and spin. I left it on for over 2 hours, so I know this is an error. My motherboard is the ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero Alpha. I think the motherboard is the problem, but the psu is fine. I looked for fixes in the bios. Any help is appreciated.

6 minutes ago, Antoniopap said:

Hi guys! I finished building my new computer! I have one problem, when I turn it off through windows, the screen will turn off, but the fans, cpu and gpu will continue to work and spin. I left it on for over 2 hours, so I know this is an error. My motherboard is the ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero Alpha. I think the motherboard is the problem, but the psu is fine. I looked for fixes in the bios. Any help is appreciated.

Sounds like a software issue to me. 

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

5 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

Sounds like a software issue to me. 

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way

I read the article about installing windows, and I noticed that I didn't install many drivers. I know ASUS has a lot of utilities, and I am going to proceed with that method. Thanks.

16 minutes ago, Antoniopap said:

use le button

Are there any programs preventing shutdown? Check if the extra Asus utilities are what's keeping it open. 

5 hours ago, Jbreezy2322 said:

Are there any programs preventing shutdown? Check if the extra Asus utilities are what's keeping it open. 

And if worst comes to worst hard shut it down with the button. 

5 hours ago, Xreldo said:

use le button

Thats what I would have to do. When I hold it down, it turns off. I want it to shutdown normally though. What I like is when it is off, all usb ports do not have power. I used to remove my mic because I didn't want the red light on throughout the night, but now I can keep it in.

5 hours ago, Jbreezy2322 said:

Actually, YES. When I shut it down from windows, it says that Origin (the EA game program like steam), is preventing the shutdown. Sometimes I press shutdown anyways (I think that is what the option is called), or sometimes it will turn off after a few seconds. But still, the computer fans and cpu are on until I press the power button.

9 minutes ago, Antoniopap said:

Actually, YES. When I shut it down from windows, it says that Origin (the EA game program like steam), is preventing the shutdown. Sometimes I press shutdown anyways (I think that is what the option is called), or sometimes it will turn off after a few seconds. But still, the computer fans and cpu are on until I press the power button.

Do you have origin launching on startup?

1 minute ago, Jbreezy2322 said:

Yes, I do.

Just now, Jbreezy2322 said:

Try disabling its launch on startup, then manually launching it and closing it. Then power down your system. 

Just now, Jbreezy2322 said:

Try disabling its launch on startup, then manually launching it and closing it. Then power down your system. 

Ok I'll try it now, I will report back in about 5 to 10 minutes.

5 minutes ago, Jbreezy2322 said:

Well, it only took me 5 minutes, and you are the MVP. IT WORKED! It turned off instantly. There are not lights, not fans spinning, and no usbs getting power. Thanks so much.

39 minutes ago, Antoniopap said:

I can 100% guarantee this is a driver related issue from previous experience.  Apparently I cannot 100% guarantee this.

Also, apparently Origin indeed can be worse at something than uPlay! Who would have thought!?! :) 

Either your ACPI drivers are not speaking with Windows correctly during sleep/hibernation/shutdown phases, or your computer what I like to call NDS, or nVidia Driver Syndrome. Now, ACPI driver issues are usually easy to fix - simply goto your motherboard manufacturer's website, and install ALL THE THINGS under the drivers tab.

Occasionally, I've run into weird issues where there isn't an ACPI driver listed for Windows 8/8.1/10 and I've had to install the Windows 7 version since Windows 10's generic universal drivers aren't really generic or universal in a good way.

If you've got NDS, welp, all I can say is I'm sorry you purchased an nVidia card. Your options are either 1) bat for the red team and buy an AMD card, 2) wait for nVidia to rollout a fix, or 3) rollback to a previous nVidia driver and hope for the best.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

6 minutes ago, Antoniopap said:

Well, it only took me 5 minutes, and you are the MVP. IT WORKED! It turned off instantly. There are not lights, not fans spinning, and no usbs getting power. Thanks so much.

No problem. I had the same problem with CyberLink a few years ago. 

1 hour ago, Antoniopap said:

I read the article about installing windows, and I noticed that I didn't install many drivers. I know ASUS has a lot of utilities, and I am going to proceed with that method. Thanks.

Yea, if you don't do drivers then your system will never work right.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

1 hour ago, JefferyD90 said:

Yea, if you don't do drivers then your system will never work right.

When I checked the website for drivers there is a lot. Should I install all of them. Also, for the ulilities all of them give me features that I can do in the bios.

1 minute ago, Antoniopap said:

When I checked the website for drivers there is a lot. Should I install all of them. Also, for the ulilities all of them give me features that I can do in the bios.

Not all of the Utilities will, not only that the Utilities give you additional benefits.  You can install which ever ones you want to.  If you want to ensure the most hassle free use of your machine, just follow the guide.

Spoiler