Gaming mice - Wired or wireless?

Laggger164

So guys. I was asking on this forum whether I should get the Logitech G402 or the G502. Almost all of them replied in favor for the G502, but then I saw the price tag aaand... I rethought my decision again.

I was thinking about buying a Wireless mouse, since I haven't been able to use one long term like... ever. The wireless technology has come a long way and Logitech proved it with their G900. Which is way out of my budget xD 

I want to buy a good mouse that will serve me for a long time and I have read that Logitech mice seem to last for decades (Linus proves it BTW)

I have a desktop and will get a laptop soon, since I am going to College next year. I am not taking my desktop with me there, although I am thinking about making a new portable rig, since this one is getting older and older. Maybe after 2 years. But my desktop will be used at home, so I think I will buy a corded mouse anyways for that.

Should I go wired or wireless?

I use it mainly for gaming, mostly FPSes, but I am struggling with fine movements of the cursor even on video-editing that I have to make for my school. (nothing long-term yet, just a few projects I have to do)

I would prefer Logitech, since I trust that brand a lot and I am getting a bit Fanboy-y from that xD

I would rather stay in the budget territory in at max 60€, but that is still a lot of money for me. My cheapass 8€ mouse is dying, it's the second one that I have, although a different model.

I don't need a LOT of buttons, but at least 2 programmable buttons would be nice. I like the concept of the Sniper button (lowers DPI on the mouse when you hold it) for better accuracy, but that might be a luxury I cannot have in that budget.

Size doesn't really matter, but a bigger one would be a bit better, I've got lots of room in my backpack.

I know that the MX Master has that Macro button and does a LOT of cool stuff! Does anybody know if I can use that on different mice somehow?

I really don't know if I should go wireless, if so, I would need a mouse that works plug n play, even in BIOS so I can do stuff there. So most likely a Bluetooth mouse is not good, but correct me if I am wrong. (yeah I would love to use a bluetooth mouse with my Nvidia Shield Tablet, but maybe a OTG adapter would work just fine.

It really is a dilema for me, I thought I would get a good wired mouse for my desktop and get a Cherry MW 3000 when on the go, but I don't know how capable that mouse would be while gaming.

EDIT: I forgot to add, there is this stupid thing about wired mice... the wire. When being on the go, I don't really want to fiddle around with the damn wire all the time, that's mostly why I am considering Wireless.

Batteries? Meh, I think I can get over with that, but a rechargable mouse would be cool!

Wired if you don't want to remind yourself to charge it and if you don't want your games to be @Laggger164 than before 

Wired, sorry for short answer but honestly wired mices are still far superior for more convenient pricing.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Ive never understood why they didnt put infrared detector under glass and then just have some kind of iluminated target in the mouse.  then the mouse is lower power and wireless, but the actual tracking deviced is wired and low latency.  you could power a small infrared target for MONTHS on a single charge doing it this way.  though, it would be desktop bound (unless they come out with that roll up glass :D)

Well, wireless is fine as long as you're not going competitive with it. Competitive scene doesn't do wireless yet due to weight. But for non-comp, both are good; personally I prefer wired though.

19 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Wired if you don't want to remind yourself to charge it and if you don't want your games to be @Laggger164 than before 

18 minutes ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

I would go with wired.

16 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Wired, sorry for short answer but honestly wired mices are still far superior for more convenient pricing.

So how do you guys deal with the cable when packing it up?

16 minutes ago, JCBiggs said:

/end thread

Alright then so... I should get that or what? I know about that mouse and I mentioned it in my post.

2 minutes ago, Tarzan said:

I have the wireless G602 for... 3 years now and it's the best mouse I've had. No lag, 2 months batteries (double AA) lasting, nice shape in the hand. Cannot recommend it enough.

Cannot recommend? Why? Price too high?

1 minute ago, adithyay328 said:

Well, wireless is fine as long as you're not going competitive with it. Competitive scene doesn't do wireless yet due to weight. But for non-comp, both are good; personally I prefer wired though.

Well I am most likely never going competitive.

1 minute ago, Laggger164 said:

Alright then so... I should get that or what? I know about that mouse and I mentioned it in my post.

Packing up? well my gaming mouse stays on the desktop desk, that's it I don't move it around, isn't that why notebooks have touch pad though? so if you need mobility you're good to go xD

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Laggger164 said:

Cannot recommend? Why? Price too high?

It was an expression, he recommends it so much that he couldn't possible do it more, get it?

Personal Desktop":

2 minutes ago, Laggger164 said:

Well I am most likely never going competitive.

Well then you're good. Wireless is fine if it's not comp.

14 minutes ago, Laggger164 said:

id get that.. if i didnt already have m65s sitting on my desk.. 

9 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Packing up? well my gaming mouse stays on the desktop desk, that's it I don't move it around, isn't that why notebooks have touch pad though? so if you need mobility you're good to go xD

Touchpad for FPS games? Cut that out xD

Just now, Laggger164 said:

Touchpad for FPS games? Cut that out xD

Well duh, but are you going to be gaming in a lot of different locations that you'd have to be moving this mice all around at all?

Personal Desktop":

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

Well duh, but are you going to be gaming in a lot of different locations that you'd have to be moving this mice all around at all?

I don't know, that's why I am asking.

Idk why the OP asked how you move it. Let me explain:

1. unplug safely

2. Shove in bag without wrapping(or wrap, your pick)

3. Pull out of bag

4. Plug in

5. Repeat

1 minute ago, adithyay328 said:

Idk why the OP asked how you move it. Let me explain:

1. unplug safely

2. Shove in bag without wrapping(or wrap, your pick)

3. Pull out of bag

4. Plug in

5. Repeat

The cable could get tangled up, taking a lot of time to untangle. And also, it is not really elegant to just shove it in, if you want to use that particular compartment for something else and take that out.

Just now, adithyay328 said:

Well, wireless is fine as long as you're not going competitive with it. Competitive scene doesn't do wireless yet due to weight.

Actually somealready do in CS and OW, but the issues arent really affecting performance in this games(like polling syncing and stuff), not to mention that Logitechs wireless mice outperform nearly any 3310 or 3988 mouse anyway.