Skylake Fluctuating Clockspeeds

Hey Everyone, 

I currently have a 6700K running at stock, with a Gigabyte Z170N-WIFI, Gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 and I have the following problem when running any intensive tasks, e.g. Prime95 or IntelBurnTest (or even repeated runs of CineBench). 

After about a minute of use, the clockspeed (and %ge utilisation in task manager) begin to fluctuate as follows:

123.PNG

I've done all the regular troubleshooting procedures, I've tried it with optimised defaults and it has this problem. I've also tried it with all of the fancy power saving measures (SpeedStep, C2 - C8 states, overheating protection...etc.) disabled as well as Turbo Boost disabled. All give the same results. 

Clearly it's not thermal throttling as the maximum temperature reached is only 73 degrees.

Anybody got any ideas? If anything, I suspect that it is a motherboard issue, as I've borrowed another CPU and it presents the same issues, but I've yet to try my 6700K in another motherboard. 

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

Seems normal enough to me.  Under a heavy load,  your cpu goes to its base of an x40 multiplier,  but your bclock seems to be slightly under 100mhz,  which is normal,  as it barely ever gets to a perfect 100mhz. Remember that frequency = multiplier (40x base by default)* Bclock (100 mhz on skylake) 

Thus,  you get 3.97ghz instead of 4.0ghz

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

2 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Seems normal enough to me.  Under a heavy load,  your cpu goes to its base of an x40 multiplier,  but your bclock seems to be slightly under 100mhz,  which is normal,  as it barely ever gets to a perfect 100mhz. Remember that frequency = multiplier (40x base by default)* Bclock (100 mhz on skylake) 

Thus,  you get 3.97ghz ins of 4.0ghz

It drops far below 4GHz, I'm talking around 2.6GHz and sometimes even lower. As an example, my first Cinebench run will be around 880cb (which is typical for a stock 6700K), but buy the fourth or fifth consecutive run, it's down to around 680cb. 

For example, here, you can see it dipping:

1234.PNG

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Are you running all of your tests in High Performance mode?

Yes, I am. 

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

In that case,  you may be power limited,  which is totally the kind of a issue a bad motherboard would cause.  

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

What it should look like..   where it spike to 100% is where the avx2 cycle started.. before that is where prime95 opened and started runing automatically.  

mine would do this at 3.8ghz all day with the water cooling.  (i have broadwell e)   at the least, it should stay at 100% and just drop the frequency a bit to deal with heat.  I have my mother board to set to limit core temps to 66 degrees and the avx frequency offset to -4.   ( i usually run 4.2 ghz)  

anyways,.. do prime 95 and see how it looks.  thats the best way to get a real stress test imo.   it should be consistent and flat (maxed)

avx2 temps.PNGavx2 load.png