1060 laptop - Razer Blade FHD, Aero 14, or GS63VR?

Gquick

I currently have the top of the line XPS 15 model, with a 960m, 1TB SSD, 4k touchscreen, and 32GB RAM, but the 960m isn't powerful enough for my needs. However, I really love the build quality, design, and keyboard, plus it's super fast for non GPU intensive tasks. Having a glass screen is also really nice, but I don't care about touch, and I prefer either 15.6 with small bezels or 14 inches... 

My budget is around $2000 (USD) maximum, I'd like to not have to spend much over what I can sell my current machine for. I've bought many of my previous laptops refurbished or used and have no issues with buying this one that way.

The 3 laptops I'm really considering are:

• Gigabyte Aero 14 - the 512GB SSD GTX 1060 model that just came out. A little wary about Gigabyte's build quality though.
  • MSI GS63VR - 1080p, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, 1060 model. Having previously owned a GS60 I can't say I like MSI laptops much because the build quality was so bad, and I'm afraid that the screen size will make it hard to carry around.
  • Razer Blade - Full HD, 256GB SSD, GTX 1060 model. I've heard mixed reviews on the thermals of this laptop, but I love the design and build. It's really overpriced compared to the Gigabyte though.

I've seen there will be a new XPS 15 soon, but I'd prefer something with a GTX 1060 over something with a 1050, and I'd probably have to downgrade to a lower configuration if I wanted to stay under $2000.

What would you guys recommend, and why?

You listed one gaming laptop and two overpriced portable stoves; where's the choice?

I'd suggest checking out the Clevo P650RP6 from HIDevolution (under EVOC) and asking for the Prema Mod (whenever it's available), as an alternative to the MSI. However otherwise, the MSI and the Clevo are the only options I see worth their salt.

Also, if you get the MSI machine, get a Svet mod from Svet on the MSI forums. You'll need to pay him, but it should still be within budget. As an alternative to HIDevolution, you could get the P650RP6 from Sager via LPC-Digital and ask LPC-Digital for the Prema Mod when it's available. Do *NOT* get the Sager from anywhere else but LPC-Digital or you lose access to the Prema mod.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

I do not own any of those laptop. But I once try the new msi gs63 and the build quality isnt that bad. I mean its not ''razer level'', but its not bad. However i do not know how good/bad the gs60 was.

Not much helping here, so yeah :/

Battery life on msi is terrible compare to the others

3 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

You listed one gaming laptop and two overpriced portable stoves; where's the choice?

I'd suggest checking out the Clevo P650RP6 from HIDevolution (under EVOC) and asking for the Prema Mod (whenever it's available), as an alternative to the MSI. However otherwise, the MSI and the Clevo are the only options I see worth their salt.

Also, if you get the MSI machine, get a Svet mod from Svet on the MSI forums. You'll need to pay him, but it should still be within budget. As an alternative to HIDevolution, you could get the P650RP6 from Sager via LPC-Digital and ask LPC-Digital for the Prema Mod when it's available. Do *NOT* get the Sager from anywhere else but LPC-Digital or you lose access to the Prema mod.

From my research the Aero 14 doesn't have any heat issues, and actually is about the same price as the MSI. I can agree that the Razer is an overpriced portable stove, though. The Clevo is a little too bulky for my needs, but does seem to be a good value.

Razer Blade owner here, I would recommend the Blade for sure out of the laptops you listed. Performance is good, no throttling. 

1 minute ago, LoveGamers said:

Razer Blade owner here, I would recommend the Blade for sure out of the laptops you listed. Performance is good, no throttling. 

Do you have the 1080p model? How is the display? Would you say it is worth the extra cost over the cheaper but similar Gigabyte Aero 14?

Just now, Gquick said:

Do you have the 1080p model? How is the display? Would you say it is worth the extra cost over the cheaper but similar Gigabyte Aero 14?

Contrast on the screen is really good, FHD is all you need for a 14 inch display. Personally I'd say it's worth the extra cost, I feel like the build quality and aesthetics are nicer on the Blade. Check out the new XPS 15 w/ GT 1050 while you're in this market as well. Not as good of gaming performance but a great laptop. 

1 minute ago, Gquick said:

From my research the Aero 14 doesn't have any heat issues, and actually is about the same price as the MSI. I can agree that the Razer is an overpriced portable stove, though. The Clevo is a little too bulky for my needs, but does seem to be a good value.

I haven't found a single good review showing boosting and temperatures of any Razer Blade or Aero 14 laptop. Period. I know that reviewers like to keep throttling like a dirty little secret, so I don't buy it. I'd suggest the MSI in your case, with the Svet mod.

As far as I could tell, the Aero 14 overheated with the 970M/6700HQ and the 1060 is MUCH hotter. It's not changed its cooling system; there is no way the laptop is cooler.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

10 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

I haven't found a single good review showing boosting and temperatures of any Razer Blade or Aero 14 laptop. Period. I know that reviewers like to keep throttling like a dirty little secret, so I don't buy it. I'd suggest the MSI in your case, with the Svet mod.

As far as I could tell, the Aero 14 overheated with the 970M/6700HQ and the 1060 is MUCH hotter. It's not changed its cooling system; there is no way the laptop is cooler.

As ridiculous as it sounds, I'm not too worried about throttling or temps as long as I don't burn my hand and the performance impact isn't too much. It's unfortunate that availability of the Gigabyte is so limited. Also, if I may ask, what is the purpose of the Svet mod? 

As ridiculous as it sounds, I'm not too worried about throttling or temps as long as I don't burn my hand and the performance impact isn't too much. It's unfortunate that availability of the Gigabyte is so limited. Also, if I may ask, what is the purpose of the Svet mod? 

Stability and unlocking control features and more consistent/stable performance from the GPUs. nVidia mobile GPUs are designed to throttle and basically be utter garbage; they're FAR below the "7% performance range" of desktop cards because they basically don't boost. Most 1070N cards sit under 1500MHz turbo for example; around 1481MHz to 1506MHz in gaming maxed out the power draw. 1060N cards suffer a similar fate. 1080 clevo cards don't, but even then custom vBIOSes are basically needed. Overclocking the cards is pretty much pointless; they just get TDP limited and throttle anyway. Svet mod would be to avoid that as well as the unlocking of BIOS options etc.

As for your performance impact, the 970M model in AIDA64 stress (I'd say similar to playing Witcher 3 unlocked FPS maybe) got near 100c and throttled down to 2.5GHz on the CPU for the Aero 14. The 1060N model is not going to be cooler. The Blade's performance is a similar situation.

13 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

Stability and unlocking control features and more consistent/stable performance from the GPUs. nVidia mobile GPUs are designed to throttle and basically be utter garbage; they're FAR below the "7% performance range" of desktop cards because they basically don't boost. Most 1070N cards sit under 1500MHz turbo for example; around 1481MHz to 1506MHz in gaming maxed out the power draw. 1060N cards suffer a similar fate. 1080 clevo cards don't, but even then custom vBIOSes are basically needed. Overclocking the cards is pretty much pointless; they just get TDP limited and throttle anyway. Svet mod would be to avoid that as well as the unlocking of BIOS options etc.

As for your performance impact, the 970M model in AIDA64 stress (I'd say similar to playing Witcher 3 unlocked FPS maybe) got near 100c and throttled down to 2.5GHz on the CPU for the Aero 14. The 1060N model is not going to be cooler. The Blade's performance is a similar situation.

I watched an Aero 14 benchmark video from GentechPC which stated that there was an max of 68c on the GPU during both 3DMark 11 and Fire Strike benchmarks, and a max of about 80c on the CPU. If these numbers are correct, they seem below figures that would cause it to throttle, considering I was getting 85c on the GPU on my old GS60 with a 970m in it.

I watched an Aero 14 benchmark video from GentechPC which stated that there was an max of 68c on the GPU during both 3DMark 11 and Fire Strike benchmarks, and a max of about 80c on the CPU. If these numbers are correct, they seem below figures that would cause it to throttle, considering I was getting 85c on the GPU on my old GS60 with a 970m in it.

Firestrike is a short benchmark. I once overclocked my 780Ms by a full +209MHz on the core and +1000MHz effective on the memory, taking them from 850/5000 to 1058/6000, and ran firestrike. I did not hit 80c on either card. Removing the overclock and playing Dark Souls 3 on single GPU caused the card to run up to 82c after extended periods of time.

Short benchmarks are 100,000,000,000,000,000% worthless for gaming performance or checking if a card overheats. Run 5-10 loops of Unigine Heaven and tell me what the temp and boost settles at instead, or play Witcher 3 for half an hour and come back. Then we'll see what temperatures actually end up at, and that's FAR more likely to be what you'll be doing with the actual notebook in practice. Doesn't have to be witcher 3 either; just pick some of the more demanding/heated games you would play. Evolve Stage 2, Battlefield 1, Witcher 3, Just Cause 3, whatever.

6 hours ago, Kevinhkn said:

I do not own any of those laptop. But I once try the new msi gs63 and the build quality isnt that bad. I mean its not ''razer level'', but its not bad. However i do not know how good/bad the gs60 was.

Not much helping here, so yeah :/

Battery life on msi is terrible compare to the others

define razer level please

not being rude, just wondering what level you think razer is at, 

just like to know :)

MF UH BEANS

11 minutes ago, aries757 said:

define razer level please

not being rude, just wondering what level you think razer is at, 

just like to know :)

oh ok then

Good question to be honnest, pretty subjective here

Materiel wise i dont remember the exact feeling (gonna trust linus on this one).  the edge, cuts and all lool like the thing looks like it fits together. Like i mean where the pieces go together, unlike lets say the aero14 with the plastic ''piece separation'' or ths gs63 the back cover seem a bit off/crooked (very slightly but something was meh)

Its somewhat similar to macbook pro but not as good.

3 hours ago, Kevinhkn said:

oh ok then

Good question to be honnest, pretty subjective here

Materiel wise i dont remember the exact feeling (gonna trust linus on this one).  the edge, cuts and all lool like the thing looks like it fits together. Like i mean where the pieces go together, unlike lets say the aero14 with the plastic ''piece separation'' or ths gs63 the back cover seem a bit off/crooked (very slightly but something was meh)

Its somewhat similar to macbook pro but not as good.

ah, ok, cool, ive never even seen a mac book from 2010 or earlier so idk what that's even like.

#hardtechlife

MF UH BEANS

24 minutes ago, Kevinhkn said:

Materiel wise i dont remember the exact feeling (gonna trust linus on this one).  the edge, cuts and all lool like the thing looks like it fits together.

This has nothing to do with performance though. Saying build quality is confusing. The internals are a disaster. The aesthetics look and feel nice, but that's the end of where Razer is "good". And since it has nothing to do with performance, I can't give it any points

51 minutes ago, Kevinhkn said:

Materiel wise

Material wise it's nice. Aluminium is always nice. But the internals have 1 M2 + soldered everything else. That's pretty rip. Idk about you but I like have expandability and not soldered everything. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

Return my Razer Blade  1060 and bought the MSI GS63VR 4K insted...

The Razer came with screen flickering.

GS63VR is very good and powerfull machine !

11 hours ago, D2ultima said:

This has nothing to do with performance though. Saying build quality is confusing. The internals are a disaster. The aesthetics look and feel nice, but that's the end of where Razer is "good". And since it has nothing to do with performance, I can't give it any points

True, but 16gb of ram and 512gb storage (i think??) is usualy enough for me and a fair number of user.

I will agree on the fact upgradability is a factor here

1 hour ago, Kevinhkn said:

16gb of ram

But it's soldered ram. So if you're ram breaks, your motherboard is fucked and so is your dGPU and CPU. Granted most laptops these days are BGA (means CPU and GPU are soldered onto the motherboard), at least the ram sticks aren't. Tying everything together increases the chance of failure. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

1 hour ago, Kevinhkn said:

True, but 16gb of ram and 512gb storage (i think??) is usualy enough for me and a fair number of user.

I will agree on the fact upgradability is a factor here

16GB of RAM is what I consider my baseline... and their RAM is shit. It's actually soldered shit; I cannot upgrade it. There is no plausible reason anyone should buy a Razer laptop portable stove. And if anyone says that "RAM is RAM speeds/timings don't matter" you shouldn't be taking advice from them on what to buy in the first place, because they don't know what they're talking about.

If 512GB of storage *ALONE* (not expandable, and if you swap the single M.2 drive for any other one you destroy the entire machine's warranty) is enough for any one user, they aren't much of a gamer. The drive will partition to 476GB. OS and programs and pagefile can take up about 70GB, give or take. Let's leave 400GB for everything else. That gets you about 4-5 AAA title installs from recent years. 60GB is like some new baseline for a game, with some new titles being close to 100GB (for example: here's Modern Warfare Remastered being over 92GB in total). And then you have to add in your pictures/videos/etc whatever else you keep on a PC. 512GB isn't anything.

38 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

16GB of RAM is what I consider my baseline... and their RAM is shit. It's actually soldered shit; I cannot upgrade it. There is no plausible reason anyone should buy a Razer laptop portable stove. And if anyone says that "RAM is RAM speeds/timings don't matter" you shouldn't be taking advice from them on what to buy in the first place, because they don't know what they're talking about.

If 512GB of storage *ALONE* (not expandable, and if you swap the single M.2 drive for any other one you destroy the entire machine's warranty) is enough for any one user, they aren't much of a gamer. The drive will partition to 476GB. OS and programs and pagefile can take up about 70GB, give or take. Let's leave 400GB for everything else. That gets you about 4-5 AAA title installs from recent years. 60GB is like some new baseline for a game, with some new titles being close to 100GB (for example: here's Modern Warfare Remastered being over 92GB in total). And then you have to add in your pictures/videos/etc whatever else you keep on a PC. 512GB isn't anything.

Oh I didnt know the ram was bad on the blade, not saying speed/timing doesnt matter, but how bad is it realy, im curious

512gb not enough. True if you install many AAA games. I tend to just have 1 or 2 and I delete the games when I finish them to download new ones. I also stored pictures and video on external devices.  I guess that might be a bit biased from me.

I have been debating between the Razer Blade 14 and the GS63VR for a little while now. Im 90% sure ill end up with the razer blade mainly because of the much better battery life, beautiful design, better build quality, better trackpad, better webcam and mic and the slightly more portable body and PSU. The soldered RAM doesnt bother me at all as ill never use more than 16GB. The SSD is easy to upgrade so buying the base model is no problem. The MSI has better thermals and fan noise which is a big factor however the battery life is far too short for my needs. The MSI is much better valve for the money when it comes to on paper specs. It really depends on what YOU valve when you buy your laptop.