Project: Ruby (Retro Build 2006)

Modzy

ruby banner.jpg

Greeting once again LTT.  following the completion of Project Nalu recently, I had some discussions on facebook regarding what I was planing next. I can Finally give out the next project. My 5th retro PC build, Project Ruby. 

Project Ruby is be based around 2005-6 hardware. Below I will have an ever updating list of hardware as I confirm the final parts. Unlike Project Nalu where it was aimed at the end of era agp. Project Ruby is something slightly different. 

Ruby will be a high end multimedia gaming PC. What do I mean by that? back before HDMI ports where added and the switch to "HD" gaming. ATI used to make GPU's sporting the name "All-In-Wonder" These where GPU's with an onboard analog/digital TV tuner as well as a huge array of VIVO ports. This build will mix high end gaming with live tv & AV capture capabilities. Think the ability to watch a live Cricket match, while playing & capturing Nintendo 64 gameplay footage, then switching to something like Crysis for a bit of serious gaming.

This original post will be dynamic and update each step, things may change and evolve along the way so keep an eye on it for major updates to the build. However I will post photos, benchmarks & comments about the build process along the way down the thread as well. 

Core Hardware - so far.

AMD Athlon FX-62 2.8Ghz AM2
ABIT AM2 Motherboard (TBA)
4x2Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 800Mhz
ATI Radeon X1950XTX 512Mb (Crossfire variant)
ATI Radeon X1800XL All-In-Wonder 256Mb 
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro
WD Raptor SATA Drives
WD Storage Drives
Lian Li PC Case (TBA)

This is very early in the process, so updates will be slow, especially since I will also be going overseas for a 3 week holidays in feb. I am hoping to post photos of the main hardware before then.
I do already have a couple of the parts in my display cabinet so they will be posted up soon.