Kayak or Float Device - Melting various 2L(0.5G) bottles flat and epoxy'ing them together will work?

Jack the Stripper

I go through a lot of bottles in my home. 4L(1G) Milk jugs, 2L(0.5G) pop bottles.

I was thinking for next summer, I want to build something to float down the river.

I will make a mold of the design I want.

a) Should I just straight up add pressure and heat the bottles as they are, until they are flat?

*An added measure could be to add epoxy or some cheaper "glue" to the inside of the bottle, then do technique a)

b) Or should I cut them to lay somewhat flat, then add pressure and heat to flatten them out even more?

Then epoxy them onto the mold. I can see how much strength it has by doing stress tests. And if it needs more strength, fiber glass would work.

I find kayaks in general are too expensive but I have always wanted to kayak. Even used Kayaks are $750.

Its a hobby, its something I want to do.

Thanks, I find my nick name user name funny and I still giggle at it.

Yeah I am thinking using the b) technique will do well because I will have better control. I just have to find a lot of epoxy for real cheap. I could also add unorthadox materials to the plastic because strength is whats needed. Fiber glass will be too expensive I think. I will have to look around the interweb.

If I'm not mistaken, hobby king sells fibre glass cloths for dirt cheap. If you have some sort of mold and epoxy you could diy yourself a cayak. I would personally stay away from melting plastic bottles, since in my experience it's a total mess and releases toxic fumes. That being said, I'm sure you could also strap a ton of bottles together (with the lids on) and then place a flat piece of wood on top. That way you could create a sort of barge. Just some ideas.

Cheers!

Quote or tag if you want me to answer! PM me if you are in a real hurry!

Why do Java developers wear glasses? Because they can't C#!

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-Processor: i5 6600k @4.6GHz

-Graphics: GTX1060 6GB G1 Gaming

-RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR4 2133MHz

-Motherboard: Asus Z170-A

-Cooler: Corsair H100i

-PSU: EVGA 650W 80+bronze

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-Processor: i7 3520M

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Graphics: intel iGPU :(

-Not even 1080p

17 minutes ago, Jack the Stripper said:

I find kayaks in general are too expensive but I have always wanted to kayak. Even used Kayaks are $750.

Wut. I got my used Dagger Juice 7.3 for $300 CAD. And my dad got his Necky Chronic for $400. And those are average prices

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

14 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Wut. I got my used Dagger Juice 7.3 for $300 CAD. And my dad got his Necky Chronic for $400. And those are average prices

Wow thats not a bad price. Bottles are free though ;) I'd say all in $100 for a DIY kayak.

21 minutes ago, dany_boy said:

If I'm not mistaken, hobby king sells fibre glass cloths for dirt cheap. If you have some sort of mold and epoxy you could diy yourself a cayak. I would personally stay away from melting plastic bottles, since in my experience it's a total mess and releases toxic fumes. That being said, I'm sure you could also strap a ton of bottles together (with the lids on) and then place a flat piece of wood on top. That way you could create a sort of barge. Just some ideas.

Cheers!

Its not melting, just heating them up so they conform to the shape you want more easily. No fumes in that method.

Found folding kayaks that look cool. Also found this

14 minutes ago, Jack the Stripper said:

Wow thats not a bad price. Bottles are free though ;) I'd say all in $100 for a DIY kayak

The shape isnt going to be as refinded for stuff like surfing and carving though. Plus it likely wont be as strong. Especially the bottom

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Yeah I thought about that. River kayaking and hitting rocks it would not last long. I am a first timer, just want a fishing float really, something I can paddle. I combo between a kayak and a fishing float. I am thinking a wide bulge in the middle for stability, yet can cut into the water at the front.

30 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

The shape isnt going to be as refinded for stuff like surfing and carving though. Plus it likely wont be as strong. Especially the bottom

Kinda of like this below

LA Kayaking Club Beginner Trip | SC Outfitters

36 minutes ago, Jack the Stripper said:

Yeah I thought about that. River kayaking and hitting rocks it would not last long. I am a first timer, just want a fishing float really, something I can paddle. I combo between a kayak and a fishing float. I am thinking a wide bulge in the middle for stability, yet can cut into the water at the front.

Kinda of like this below

That would be terrible for fishing. Thats a playboat, its meant for tricks, stuff like that. You want something like a Dagger Mamba. It can cut in the front but is a lot more stable.

Spoiler

AXIOM