I5-6500

Hi all,

As i have mentioned in another post i will be a newcomer to PC gaming, and i was wondering if the i5-6500 will be a good enough CPU for a year or 2 before i do a better more enthusiast build when that time comes.

It's very good for gaming and some 'lower end' creative work (like Photoshop work, video editing work, etc.)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

an i5 6500 will be plenty for the next 2 years

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900XT Triple Fan | G.Skill 32GB 2x D5 6000

1 minute ago, Elclid said:

What will you be doing with it? 

Mostly gaming and web browsing with some simple word document usage, no Photoshop or video editing at least i can foresee for the near future

1 minute ago, Midgitwarrior said:

Mostly gaming and web browsing with some simple word document usage, no Photoshop or video editing at least i can foresee for the near future

then you are good. my i5 2400 on my old system did miracles and its  old

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900XT Triple Fan | G.Skill 32GB 2x D5 6000

3 minutes ago, Apollo Refugio said:

then you are good. my i5 2400 on my old system did miracles and its  old

Yeah because at first i was going to go for an AMD FX 8350 which costs £40 less but has been out for quite a few years now and will be getting pretty old and since the i5-6500 only released last year it should handle processes a little better, unless im wrong of course.

3 hours ago, Midgitwarrior said:

Hi all,

As i have mentioned in another post i will be a newcomer to PC gaming, and i was wondering if the i5-6500 will be a good enough CPU for a year or 2 before i do a better more enthusiast build when that time comes.

Well i5 6500 is the best i5 in terms of how much you are paying for (if you don't need overclock).. as someone new you won't need overclock and that's why you should start from here. This cpu can handle almost anything about gaming and in combination with its low price you can afford a high end gpu (if you don't have already one)

I built two machines with the i5 6400, they did not bottleneck either MSI/Sapphire's RX 470 + manual OC whatsoever.

Tested and installed 20 odd games,...Witcher3 would hit Either CPU as hard, 60-70fps down to 50-55fps in the Towns, thats the worst performance I got in any game.

All others were maxed out with ample 60-80fps, some lighter/older games even higher.

While the i5 6500 clocks are higher, that small bit of cash saved, could put you into a "RX480/GTX1060 Online Deal" territory of spending wisely over a budget set for a RX470.

Just depends on the current situation but it could be worth the tradeoff.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

14 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

I built two machines with the i5 6400, they did not bottleneck either MSI/Sapphire's RX 470 + manual OC whatsoever.

Tested and installed 20 odd games,...Witcher3 would hit Either CPU as hard, 60-70fps down to 50-55fps in the Towns, thats the worst performance I got in any game.

All others were maxed out with ample 60-80fps, some lighter/older games even higher.

While the i5 6500 clocks are higher, that small bit of cash saved, could put you into a "RX480/GTX1060 Online Deal" territory of spending wisely over a budget set for a RX470.

Just depends on the current situation but it could be worth the tradeoff.

Well here's the component list from PC part picker UK if you want to take a look: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Midgitwarrior/saved/nFdqsY

12 hours ago, Midgitwarrior said:

Well here's the component list from PC part picker UK if you want to take a look: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Midgitwarrior/saved/nFdqsY

Looks great, if the situation was, that you couldn't afford the GTX1060 6GB, and had to settle for less, the i5 6400 could bridge that gap for some people as a small sacrifice.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

13 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Looks great, if the situation was, that you couldn't afford the GTX1060 6GB, and had to settle for less, the i5 6400 could bridge that gap for some people as a small sacrifice.

Ok, so say if i did choose the 6400 instead of the 6500 what difference in performance will i get, because if its a very minimal FPS drop then i will basically be throwing £30 out the window if the 6500 isn't all that much better.