Wire troubles

Mycola
Go to solution Solved by pbx2,
Just now, Mycola said:

Yea I got that for the Gpu but What about the CPU? do the squares and hexagons have to be in the specific order?

The connectors are keyed molex minifits, so unless you put too much force on them you won't put them in wrong, the ones marked VGA are for the graphics card, the one marked CPU is for the CPU only, plug it into the motherboard's 8pin power socket.

Hello, recently I undertook the task of building my first PC and I ran into a snag that I encountered before while upgrading a store bought PC. With the problem being that the pins did not match up to what the GPU wanted. I have attached some images, and the type of 8-pin I need is on the left(for both images one being for the MB other for GPU) but the psu came with the other 6(+2)-pin on the right. I was wondering whether or not the wires can be used interchangeably or will I have to get another wire or  just a converter.

eyJ1cmwiOiJodHRwczovL2Rpc2NvcmQuc3RvcmFnZS5nb29nbGVhcGlzLmNvbS9hdHRhY2htZW50cy8yMzg0MzU3MjE2NDIyNDYxNDQvMjY0Mjg0NjQ1NzA3NzQzMjM3L0lNR18xMTQxLmpwZyJ9.jpg

IMG_1139.jpg

Just now, Mycola said:

Hello, recently I undertook the task of building my first PC and I ran into a snag that I encountered before while upgrading a store bought PC. With the problem being that the pins did not match up to what the GPU wanted. I have attached some images, and the type of 8-pin I need is on the left(for both images one being for the MB other for GPU) but the psu came with the other 6(+2)-pin on the right. I was wondering whether or not the wires can be used interchangeably or will I have to get another wire or  just a converter.

eyJ1cmwiOiJodHRwczovL2Rpc2NvcmQuc3RvcmFnZS5nb29nbGVhcGlzLmNvbS9hdHRhY2htZW50cy8yMzg0MzU3MjE2NDIyNDYxNDQvMjY0Mjg0NjQ1NzA3NzQzMjM3L0lNR18xMTQxLmpwZyJ9.jpg

IMG_1139.jpg

The 6+2 can be used as both an 8pin power and a 6pin power

Same for the CPU power plug.

4pin or 8pin

--- Purple Prime ---
i7 8700k + Hyper 212 Evo | MSI Z370 Gaming Pro CarbonG-Skill Trident Z 3000Mhz RGB 16GB | Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti

Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black 2TB | Corsair RM850i | Fractal Design Define R4LG 27UD68-P | Logitech G502 + G910 | Windows 10 Pro

--- Proteus Server ---

AyyMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Asrock B450m Pro-4 | Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) | Sapphire RX570 NITRO+ 8GB

Crucial MX500 1TB + Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB + Seagate 1TB 2.5" + 5TB iDrive  | Windows 10 Pro (Temporary)

--- Camera Stuff ---
Canon EOS 77D | Canon EF-S 18-55 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM 
Zoom H5 + XY-5
Phone - Oneplus 6T

So you can use the connector on the right(regardless of the shapes in the left one?) for both the cpu and gpu?

2 minutes ago, Mycola said:

So you can use the connector on the right(regardless of the shapes in the left one?) for both the cpu and gpu?

What gpu btw

Msi RX 470, will upgrade to 1070 after I get my PC set up nicely

So squares or hexagons don't really matter(and the order they are in)?

1 minute ago, Mycola said:

So squares or hexagons don't really matter(and the order they are in)?

the connectors need to line up. Plug the 8 pin VGA into the 8 pin VGA on your GPU or plug the 6 pin VGA to it if its only 3x2 connector. If it needs more then plug both in to fill up the connectors.

Yea I got that for the Gpu but What about the CPU? do the squares and hexagons have to be in the specific order?

Just now, Mycola said:

The connectors are keyed molex minifits, so unless you put too much force on them you won't put them in wrong, the ones marked VGA are for the graphics card, the one marked CPU is for the CPU only, plug it into the motherboard's 8pin power socket.

--- Purple Prime ---
i7 8700k + Hyper 212 Evo | MSI Z370 Gaming Pro CarbonG-Skill Trident Z 3000Mhz RGB 16GB | Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti

Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black 2TB | Corsair RM850i | Fractal Design Define R4LG 27UD68-P | Logitech G502 + G910 | Windows 10 Pro

--- Proteus Server ---

AyyMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Asrock B450m Pro-4 | Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) | Sapphire RX570 NITRO+ 8GB

Crucial MX500 1TB + Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB + Seagate 1TB 2.5" + 5TB iDrive  | Windows 10 Pro (Temporary)

--- Camera Stuff ---
Canon EOS 77D | Canon EF-S 18-55 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM 
Zoom H5 + XY-5
Phone - Oneplus 6T

Thanks for the clarification @pbx2 (I was well aware of that xD)

Thank you to all who helped me in my quest to waste you time( sorry :P)