lense not detected

Go to solution Solved by AkiraDaarkst,
43 minutes ago, xQubeZx said:

Nikon entry level and mid tier prosumer bodies don't really have all the features necessary to work with old manual lenses.  While they may have a menu item that the photographer can enable to trigger the shutter without a lens attached/detected stuff like properly metering the exposure through the lens or even manual focusing will not be easy.

On pro bodies like the D300/D500, D600 and above, there is a metal ring with a small tab that is around the lens mount. In the photo below the metal tab is near the 1 o'clock position around the lens ring.  This metal tabbed ring doesn't do a thing when used with modern lenses that do not have a manual aperture control ring.  But when using older lenses with a manual aperture ring which has a small protruding part, like in the lens below, turning the aperture ring on the lens will move the position of that tabbed ring and let's the camera know the aperture dialed in on the lens.  This lets the camera's internal exposure metering system know the aperture setting on the lens so that it can work in Aperture priority mode.

highres-nikond800frontangle_1332947944.jpg

D3S_2769-1200.jpg

If you don't want to turn the aperture ring manually, you have to set the aperture ring on the lens to the smallest aperture.  This assumes that the lens has another tab that will allow the mechanism inside the mirror chamber of the camera body to dial in the aperture on the lens.

mount.jpg

Some less older lenses have a lock on the aperture ring to prevent accidental turning of the aperture.

KEN_7458-1200.jpg

Also in the "pro" bodies, the setup menu has an item called "Non-CPU lens data" where you can tell the camera the specs of an old lens that does not have any electronic contact points or chip inside the lens that communicates with the camera.  Since a lot of these old lenses are prime lenses, you just have to tell the camera the lens' focal length and maximum (widest) aperture.  You can save profiles for up to 9 lenses, at least in my Nikon bodies.

I don't think Nikon really expects anyone who buys their entry level bodies to use old lenses, I assume they expect people to stick to the basic kit lenses or buy modern lenses.  Modern DSLRs are not really designed for full manual work, especially manual focusing since the focusing screens inside the mirror chamber are not well designed for MF.  I remember Canon selling different focusing screens that you can manually replace yourself, and when I had my 5DII I bought one (not cheap) and it didn't improve things that much.

my nikon d3100 says lenses not detected and i can only shoot is manual mode

Are you sure you mounted the right lense? Are you sure you mounted the lense correctly? Are the contacts clean?

Main gaming pc: Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh Performance - Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI GTX1080Ti Armor - AMD Wraith Spire RGB - ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8GB 3200MHz - 500GB M.2 (and a few other drives)

Gaming laptop: ASUS GL552VW: i7 6700HQ - GTX960M 2GB - 8GB DDR4 2166Mhz RAM - 1TB 7200RPM HDD

i dont think this lense has any contact pins because i looked up this lense and is from the 60s and 70s

24 minutes ago, metroremix said:

i dont think this lense has any contact pins because i looked up this lense and is from the 60s and 70s

Seriously, if the lens does not have electronic contacts to communicate with the camera how can the camera sense that there is a lens mounted?  On some higher end Nikon bodies you can mount old lenses like these and dial in the lens's specs in the camera menu and use M mode.  It will still be a manual lens that the camera might see through the lens to meter the exposure in M mode.  On lower end bodies, the camera will give an error saying lens not detected and you'd have to enable/disable certain menu items to get it to work, and it may not even meter the exposure properly.  When I shot on my older Nikon bodies and a Lensbaby, I had to do that.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

oh btw i just ran i virus scan and the is 2 files that wont let me delete them and ur profile pic made me jump and think it is the virus

13 hours ago, metroremix said:

oh btw i just ran i virus scan and the is 2 files that wont let me delete them and ur profile pic made me jump and think it is the virus

it says the virus is barogafe

it accually is a trojan

What are you talking about?

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

idk i just need a way to get my REALLY OLD lense to work properly on my nikon d3100

4 hours ago, metroremix said:

idk i just need a way to get my REALLY OLD lense to work properly on my nikon d3100

You can't.  That lens, while the mount may be compatible, will never truly work properly on a modern camera.  Especially an entry level body like the D3100.  You'll be stuck on Manual mode.

6 hours ago, metroremix said:

You can get it to work fully manual. Now I don't know how the menus on Nikon looks like but on my Sony (where I have adapted Nikon lenses to) there is a menu option called "release without lens" this means it wont give you an error when you are using a lens without any contact points to communicate with the camera. You will have to use it in Manual mode. Aparture is set on the lens and the same for focus. You will have to manually turn the focus ring. 

It will work. But it will be harder to use as the new cameras are not designed to work flawlessly with manual lenses as they are intended to use AF lenses. Belive me, I have tried manual focus on a Canon 6D and a old Nikon FE film camera. The film one was a lot easier to manual focus on. I have heard other people have the same experience as well. I may be wrong but its just my opinion, especially as Nikon bodies don't have peaking. (As far as I know) 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

43 minutes ago, xQubeZx said:

Nikon entry level and mid tier prosumer bodies don't really have all the features necessary to work with old manual lenses.  While they may have a menu item that the photographer can enable to trigger the shutter without a lens attached/detected stuff like properly metering the exposure through the lens or even manual focusing will not be easy.

On pro bodies like the D300/D500, D600 and above, there is a metal ring with a small tab that is around the lens mount. In the photo below the metal tab is near the 1 o'clock position around the lens ring.  This metal tabbed ring doesn't do a thing when used with modern lenses that do not have a manual aperture control ring.  But when using older lenses with a manual aperture ring which has a small protruding part, like in the lens below, turning the aperture ring on the lens will move the position of that tabbed ring and let's the camera know the aperture dialed in on the lens.  This lets the camera's internal exposure metering system know the aperture setting on the lens so that it can work in Aperture priority mode.

D3S_2769-1200.jpg

If you don't want to turn the aperture ring manually, you have to set the aperture ring on the lens to the smallest aperture.  This assumes that the lens has another tab that will allow the mechanism inside the mirror chamber of the camera body to dial in the aperture on the lens.

mount.jpg

Some less older lenses have a lock on the aperture ring to prevent accidental turning of the aperture.

KEN_7458-1200.jpg

Also in the "pro" bodies, the setup menu has an item called "Non-CPU lens data" where you can tell the camera the specs of an old lens that does not have any electronic contact points or chip inside the lens that communicates with the camera.  Since a lot of these old lenses are prime lenses, you just have to tell the camera the lens' focal length and maximum (widest) aperture.  You can save profiles for up to 9 lenses, at least in my Nikon bodies.

I don't think Nikon really expects anyone who buys their entry level bodies to use old lenses, I assume they expect people to stick to the basic kit lenses or buy modern lenses.  Modern DSLRs are not really designed for full manual work, especially manual focusing since the focusing screens inside the mirror chamber are not well designed for MF.  I remember Canon selling different focusing screens that you can manually replace yourself, and when I had my 5DII I bought one (not cheap) and it didn't improve things that much.

2 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

D3S_2769-1200.jpg

mount.jpg

KEN_7458-1200.jpg

Ah, yea I had my guesses on this sfuff but could not really explain it this well. My old Nikon FE has one of those aparture rings but that one is made to be used with the manual lenses so. But I do agree that if you can you should avoid MF lenses on the entry level bodies, or well in general but even more on the ones with lesser support for MF lenses. Especially since a 50 1.8 with AF costs like 100us. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"