Best Headphones for....

Dec_Shaw

Hi guys,

been a stressful week for headphones for me, after buying the beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 32 Ohms. It wasn't up to my expectations.

Needing to get new ones fast as I go on vacation on Tuesday. 

I listen to Rap and Electric Music. 

So base and high pitch noises are needed. And I love my music so need something great! 

Another note, I'll be using the headset on the my iPhone 5S. 

Any ideas, please pop a comment.

Thanks, have a good new year.

Dec.

Cpu Intel Core i7 (3770) 3.4GHz Qaud Core - MB MSI Intel B75MA-P45 - RAM Hypertec Hyperam 32GB - GPU EVGA Nvidia GTX 980 ti 8GB SSC - Case Cooler Master K-Series K380 Storage SSD 240GB Sandisk WD 1TB Caviar Blue - PSU EVGA 600W Bronze - Display BENQ 22' GL2450 - Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo

Sennheiser HD 280 Pros. Blast your music and "break them in" for a week or so and notice how the bass levels grow! Unless you prefer open ear headphones... then I can't make any recommendations, sorry.

6 hours ago, Dec_Shaw said:

Hi guys,

been a stressful week for headphones for me, after buying the beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 32 Ohms. It wasn't up to my expectations.

Needing to get new ones fast as I go on vacation on Tuesday. 

I listen to Rap and Electric Music. 

So base and high pitch noises are needed. And I love my music so need something great! 

Another note, I'll be using the headset on the my iPhone 5S. 

Any ideas, please pop a comment.

Thanks, have a good new year.

Dec.

Sorry to hear that, i had no problems with my 80 ohms version. 

Maybe you liked something different i guess......... or because its still new and your ears are not used to the sound..

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

I don't know if it helps but,

I borrowed my dad's JBL's Synchros S300 and I had a blast with them. They have delightfully boomy bass (but not sloppy) and sparkly treble. It's pure bliss listening to bass guitar on classic rock tunes. Just buy these because they're only $60, they're built like a tank, are surprisingly comfy and sound fun as hell. Oh yeah, they come with a removable cable with a mic for your iPhone as well. I think that they sound just as good, if not better than any of the pricey ($180~$300) portable headphones from the likes of Sennheiser, SONY, V-moda & Bose. They're super underrated. 

Here's a link:

https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Synchros-S300-Headphones-Universal/dp/B00FF9FKE2/ref=sr_1_14?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1483096834&sr=1-14&keywords=jbl+headphones

EDIT: The white model is only $46. What a steal! I don't think you can buy better portable headphones for that price. 

HyperX Cloud Revolver, unless that isn't your style or you wanted something more specialized.

21 hours ago, NinJake said:

Sennheiser HD 280 Pros. Blast your music and "break them in" for a week or so and notice how the bass levels grow!

That's not how it works.

22 hours ago, NinJake said:

Sennheiser HD 280 Pros. Blast your music and "break them in" for a week or so and notice how the bass levels grow! Unless you prefer open ear headphones... then I can't make any recommendations, sorry.

As someone who has had a pair of HD280s for years, they do not have any sort of "break in" and the bass does not grow.

22 hours ago, Dec_Shaw said:

Try V-Moda Crossfade M-100, or even Beyer's own Custom One Pro.

14 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

OP didn't like his DT770's, and since the COP are very similar to the 770's he probably won't like them either.

@OP, I love my Sennheiser HD 598's, the thing is that the bass isn't very powerful, so idk if you'll like that.

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

OP, in what way was the DT 770 not up to your expectations? Not enough bass?

You might try to exchange them for the 80 ohm version, which supposedly has the most bass of all the DT 770 variants.

21 minutes ago, SSL said:

OP, in what way was the DT 770 not up to your expectations? Not enough bass?

You might try to exchange them for the 80 ohm version, which supposedly has the most bass of all the DT 770 variants.

Really? What are you expecting to achieve? Slightly more bass? 

1 hour ago, Kloaked said:

As someone who has had a pair of HD280s for years, they do not have any sort of "break in" and the bass does not grow.

The HD 280 has some serious clamping force. It's also massive and ugly. It does sound really good, although kinda "boxed in", it's hard to describe. Yeah, the M100 is solid choice. The custom one pro is kinda massive, not really suitable for portable use. 

I...just can't hide the feeling that these headphones get recommended a lot because they're from reputable brands and they're pricey (so obviously good SMH). They're obviously good. But are they $200 good!? err.....maybe? I mean, if you have $200 to burn then you'll be pleased with the M100s. No doubt. Yeah go for these. 

...But if you're curious, just give the JBL S300 a try. They're just...YES! Yeah, I would describe them as YES! That's what I thought when I put them on. And for under $60 that's a miracle. They have that tastefully boomy sound that people look for in a Beats headphone (I know...but the newer models sound pretty great actually, especially the Solo), and they're $60 not $300.

6 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

I...just can't hide the feeling that these headphones get recommended a lot because they're from reputable brands and they're pricey (so obviously good SMH). They're obviously good. But are they $200 good!? err.....maybe? I mean, if you have $200 to burn then you'll be pleased with the M100s. No doubt. Yeah go for these.

You have no clue, do you. We're not recommending them just because $$$ == Quality.

Do you suffer from financial hardship, or are you just a kid that has to depend on their parents for everything? Because you seem to have an issue with headphones that cost more than 50 bucks.

45 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

like the brand really matters... We recommend things that are good for the money, not because of the brand.

You really seem to have a lot against headphones that cost more than 60-70$. What is going in there?

60$ headphones have their place, but so do headphones that cost 200$, 400$ and etc.

Anything can be like burning money.

It all comes down to your point of view of certain things

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

3 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

like the brand really matters... We recommend things that are good for the money, not because of the brand.

You really seem to have a lot against headphones that cost more than 60-70$. What is going in there?

60$ headphones have their place, but so do headphones that cost 200$, 400$ and etc.

Next he's going to be on my case for owning a grand piano instead of a $100 Casio keyboard.

4 minutes ago, SSL said:

Next he's going to be on my case for owning a grand piano instead of a $100 Casio keyboard.

oh shit you do? God damn that is nice, I cannot play, but I love how some of them look xD

Now I just imagine you living in a big really nice looking house, with a huge living room :D

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

oh shit you do? God damn that is nice, I cannot play, but I love how some of them look xD

Now I just imagine you living in a big really nice looking house, with a huge living room :D

Castle SSL

3 hours ago, SSL said:

Castle SSL

SSL_House.jpg

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Just now, SSL said:

lol at the hoof on a doily

Its the George Eastman house, in my town. There is also a elephant foot side table and an elephant head on the wall.

I guess when he wasn't making cameras or music he was hunting elephants and other animals.

Image result for george eastman house

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

12 hours ago, Dackzy said:

Yeah I kinda agree. But it's also the fact that people are recommending "professional-grade studio headphones" that sound kinda flat like the Beyerdynamic DT770 or Sennheiser HD598 to people who just want a decent pair of headphones with a colored sound (V-shape with louder bass). But yeah, I over reacted a little. It turns out that most people are ready to spend $200 on headphones and I should respect that. I just wish that I could show them several different pairs for each price bracket and let them choose. But I don't own a headphone shop...so I may as well stfu :)

I suppose that I could be mr. budget. Suggesting a budget alternative...but that's unwanted. The thing is, there is no weight to my opinion without the ability to physically try things. 

4 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

Yeah I kinda agree. But it's also the fact that people are recommending "professional-grade studio headphones" that sound kinda flat like the Beyerdynamic DT770 or Sennheiser HD598 to people who just want a decent pair of headphones with a colored sound (V-shape with louder bass). But yeah, I over reacted a little. It turns out that most people are ready to spend $200 on headphones and I should respect that. I just wish that I could show them several different pairs for each price bracket and let them choose. But I don't own a headphone shop...so I may as well stfu :)

I suppose that I could be mr. budget. Suggesting a budget alternative...but that's unwanted. The thing is, there is no weight to my opinion without the ability to physically try things. 

um the DT770 and HD 598 are far from flat, the DT 770 actually have a V shaped signature, just not as extreme as the M50x, they have a bass boost and a treble boost, the HD598 has a balanced sound signature.

Professional grade is a very loose term, a studio would mainly have headphones that are fairly uncolored like the HD600 vs K612.

The thing is that a lot of people seem to enjoy the signature that the DT770, HD558 and HD598 has and their budget is also often in that price range, so they get recommended often. But we also recommend basshead headphones like the Vmoda M100, bright headphones like the AD500x  has also been recommended often.

Cheap headphones has their time and place, but a good pair of 60$ headphone cannot keep up with a good pair of 200$ headphones in sound quality.

Just follow the topic when you recommend, so if OP wants lets say 200$ headphones then recommend down to 120$ and up to 200'ish. There are also plenty of sub 100$ topics

I am going to be an annoying brat here, and say that no budget was announced. So why immediately jump toward $150~$200 headphones? Is that the bracket with the most value? But yeah, Dackzy is right. 

12 hours ago, kokakolia said:

I am going to be an annoying brat here, and say that no budget was announced. So why immediately jump toward $150~$200 headphones? Is that the bracket with the most value? But yeah, Dackzy is right. 

If you have experience with the $150-200 headphones suggested and have found $50-100 headphones to be better, please say so and describe your experiences.

The alternative is that you are spouting off about things with which you have no experience.